Search

TUPA005 free day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: United, SPG, PC, Hertz
TUPA005 free day

Anyone know where this coupon comes from? It's everywhere on ebay and craiglist for $5-10 each. Cheap car rental if you ask me.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 9:39 am

These are hard coupons (physical) and they do work. I personally used @ JFK on a two day rental. Rental price before the use coupons;$173=rental price after usage $6.11. Thats right the only thing you have to pay is the taxes nothing else. And they gave me a free upgrade to a suv! The only drag is that you have to go to the counter to complete the rental but that only took about 30 mins so big deal. They dont ask any questions very easy process. I bought mine of ebay as well got a good deal 5 for $60. So in total for a two day rental i spent $66 not bad especially for NYC. And i have three left that i am going to use in FLL this week. But they do have blackout dates so beware of that.

Last edited by miamizo305; Apr 15, 2009 at 9:40 am Reason: Left something out
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:45 pm

...that's the same code Avis uses for some of its Customer Service $25/off coupons....
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sba110
...that's the same code Avis uses for some of its Customer Service $25/off coupons....
That can't be right. In any case, someone out there is printing these coupons. Unlimted supply. Tons on ebay. Some guy even offered me $0.75 each after 10. LOL.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by powermode01
That can't be right. In any case, someone out there is printing these coupons. Unlimted supply. Tons on ebay. Some guy even offered me $0.75 each after 10. LOL.
I just did a search on ebay for 'tupa005' and nothing came back...maybe the auctions were taken down?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have no idea where they come from, though there are some clues at www.avisawards.com

I have obtained them through CC, and they work fine. They are especially valuable at locations where the taxes are really high - like SEA. OTOH fixed taxes/fees (not %) like the $17.50 at SFO still have to be paid.

However, they would be very easy to forge, so I would be wary of buying them on eBay unless the seller had a very high feedback score.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 3:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How do you suppose to get these from Avis? Most sellers on ebay can't tell you where they get it from, first it was a friend, then some sort of survey then my family works in Avis...etc.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:58 pm

I have used many of them without a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:56 am

The coupons sound like the free day coupons we get through my company's business account. For every 10 rental days, Avis gives us a free day on a full size car class or lower. I think they have the same TUPA code.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by powermode01
Who is this?
Old May 4, 2009, 4:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I just learned about these coupons and have a question for anyone who has used them.

With these coupons do I only have to pay taxes, or do I pay taxes + surcharges?

For example, I have a 5-day trip to the Spokane area coming up. I went to Avis.com and entered the dates and location. This is what came back:

The earlier reply in this thread by the person who used one of these coupons at JFK led me to believe that I'd only be responsible for the tax ($27.91), and not the surcharges ($71.71).

However, when I called Avis and asked them about it, they said my total cost for the five days using the coupon would be $96.77. This is pretty close to what the website quotes for tax and surcharges.

Also, the fine print of the coupon (pulled from an eBay auction) says this:

Term and conditions: This certificate entitles the bearer to one free day’s daily time and mileage charges free of any car up to a full-size four door (group E) car. Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges ($10/contract in CA) may apply are extra.
So I'm a little bit confused about what I can expect to pay using these coupons.

Of course, even if I do have to pay $99 in tax + surcharge, and $40 or so for the coupons, I'm still saving more than $100 from the Hotwire rate. But I've heard others say that they are getting cars for around $12/day using these coupons, including the cost of the coupons. The price I'm getting would be more like $28/day ($140/5 days).
Old May 4, 2009, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by switters
Hi everyone,

I just learned about these coupons and have a question for anyone who has used them.

With these coupons do I only have to pay taxes, or do I pay taxes + surcharges?

For example, I have a 5-day trip to the Spokane area coming up. I went to Avis.com and entered the dates and location. This is what came back:

The earlier reply in this thread by the person who used one of these coupons at JFK led me to believe that I'd only be responsible for the tax ($27.91), and not the surcharges ($71.71).

However, when I called Avis and asked them about it, they said my total cost for the five days using the coupon would be $96.77. This is pretty close to what the website quotes for tax and surcharges.

Also, the fine print of the coupon (pulled from an eBay auction) says this:

So I'm a little bit confused about what I can expect to pay using these coupons.

Of course, even if I do have to pay $99 in tax + surcharge, and $40 or so for the coupons, I'm still saving more than $100 from the Hotwire rate. But I've heard others say that they are getting cars for around $12/day using these coupons, including the cost of the coupons. The price I'm getting would be more like $28/day ($140/5 days).

I used three in Spokane for a mid size car. Two days at $49.37 with a ending bill of $9.58 and one day at $25.99 with a end bill of $5.16. I also had two days in another city @ $42.99 per day and paid about $14. So for some reason the taxes and fees usually are less then what the reservation states.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I just did a search on ebay for 'tupa005' and nothing came back...maybe the auctions were taken down?
Search ebay for "Avis Coupons"
Old May 4, 2009, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by bbbb
I used three in Spokane for a mid size car. Two days at $49.37 with a ending bill of $9.58 and one day at $25.99 with a end bill of $5.16. I also had two days in another city @ $42.99 per day and paid about $14. So for some reason the taxes and fees usually are less then what the reservation states.
Great! It certainly seems like they're only charging tax and not the surcharges.

In any event, I don't really have anything to lose by using the coupons. Worst case scenario I save $100. Best case it's more like $200.
Old May 4, 2009, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by switters
Great! It certainly seems like they're only charging tax and not the surcharges.

In any event, I don't really have anything to lose by using the coupons. Worst case scenario I save $100. Best case it's more like $200.
How many coupons do you have? (Usually you can use up to 3 of a $ off coupon on Avis rentals). Assuming you have 3, and from the image, here's what I'd expect (from my experience using '$ off' and 'days off' coupons):

Base of 269.99
Coupons -75
New Subtotal: 194.99
Then you'd have to pay all of the "per day" and "per rental" fees, listed on the image. You should only have to pay the rental tax (6.9%) and CRF (11.11%) on the subtotal of 194.99, not the base 269.99. On top of the new fee, you'd then pay the tax of 8.7%.

I don't feel like whipping out the calculator, but you can determine what the total should be from that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.