Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Old Jul 11, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by crhptic
If you're open to paying $21 for 90 miles worth of gas, then just return the car without refueling and you'll probably get charged about that much on the per-mile/per-gallon plan. Maybe even less depending on the car and tank capacity.
Actually, it's close to 3x that. On 4/16, the fuel charge at LAX was $59.32 for 102 miles.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
When I fill a rental (assuming I'm relatively close to the return facility) for the last time, I keep the car ignition on to the battery that shows me how full its getting. As soon as it gets to touching the F I kill it and bring it back with it touching the F and show them the receipt, I say the pump stopped there so it must be full or there is a problem with you car.. never a problem after that

Originally Posted by traveling_again
That's my biggest gripe since Budget/Avis started this program. I almost always drive the more than 75 miles, so the original rip-off part doesn't hit me.

But about half the time now when I pick up a car, it is already a hair below F. I almost always suck it up since it normally well above a 7/8 line. But I do a slow burn since I picture the previous renter getting stuck with a double-charge for burning like $5 of gas and I get stuck paying for the gas.

Another 1/4 of my rentals the needle dives sharply from F as I drive away. I make a point of filling the car at what I expect to be the half way mark of the rental. No shocker, I always "use" 1 or 2 more gallons on the outbound than on my return.

This is all new since the program started, I really thing the big rip-off is they charge low mileage renters that fee, yet they don't top the car off unless it is below something like 15/16 full.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Another 1/4 of my rentals the needle dives sharply from F as I drive away. I make a point of filling the car at what I expect to be the half way mark of the rental. No shocker, I always "use" 1 or 2 more gallons on the outbound than on my return.
On the cars with an MPG counter, I always reset the average MPG and the trip odometer. When I fill it up, if I'm any significant amount off, I'll complain when I drop off the car.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Avis now taxing the fuel charge

Full disclosure: I have taken advantage of the <75 mile refuling charge voluntarily several times - sometimes for convenience and sometimes it actually costs less (e.g. full size SUV driven 73 miles).

I had an experience last week at PDX that soured me on the deal. It turned out my client was fairly close to the airport so I only drove 50 miles for two days. I filled the tank before returning the car because the charge has now gone up to $13.99 so the cost difference is noticeable. I told the lady checking in the car that I filled it up (in most cases they will not add the charge). The charge was added anyway.

Here's the kicker - the charge was added pre-tax, so it was subject to 27% of additional taxes to make the charge almost $18.00! In previous rentals, the charge was at the bottom of the bill after the taxes that applied to the base rental. I did not notice it until later becuase the fuel charge was up towards the top of the bill with the other taxable items.

I had all my receipts and called Avis, faxed them the info and it is being taken care of with no hassle (good for Avis Customer Service!) but if the fuel service is now taxable as a corporate Avis policy, be careful.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:35 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I don't think Avis will "top off" tanks. However, I think that with the policy (and others that I've seen where you must present a receipt to show you filled the tank w/in 5 miles of the airport no matter how many miles you drove), they're trying to prevent ill will from the next person that picks up the car, drives 4 miles & has a less-than-full tank. I know I've been annoyed when this has been done to me. However, there are many flaws in their policy. Just because you have a receipt for gas (sometimes within 5 miles of the airport), doesn't mean anything. You could: 1. Drive through stations & grab an abandoned receipt; 2. Put a bit of gas in the car, but not fill it; 3. Fill the car & drive lots more before you turn it in, etc. I don't know that their is a solution to these items, but still shows that their policy isn't worth anything in reality.
I agree that I've often felt to be on the short end of this stick when picking up a car. But, if Avis is truly trying to avoid ill will then why wouldn't they top off the tank? Me thinks they want to avoid ill will so long as it doesn't cost them anything.

And I have never heard about the w/i five mile rule. At some airports that's a stretch, next to impossible. I rarely have been challenge to provide a receipt when I say I've filled up the tank.

My problem with the policy is that even if (and, I mean if) the rep asked at check-in whether you filled the tank, the system automatically prints out a receipt that includes the gas billing if you drove less than 75 miles. Some savvy reps throw it away and override it. Some you have to catch and make them print a new receipt. Either way, what a waste of paper. When some retailers are printing two-sided receipts, printing two one-sided receipts when only one is required is a waste of resources. Perhaps that's part of Avis' daily 65 Energy Recovery Fee.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
The last time I rented from Avis they added the fuel charge to my bill because I did not drive at least 75 miles during my rental. I went directly to the CS desk and they removed the charge without much of a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Open Jaw
The last time I rented from Avis they added the fuel charge to my bill because I did not drive at least 75 miles during my rental. I went directly to the CS desk and they removed the charge without much of a problem.
Same. Pickup/dropoff was in Manhattan (43rd and 3rd). Showed the guy gas receipt when dropping off, but he literally could not get the <75 mile fuel surcharge removed, even though he indicated I had filled up. Told me I had to go inside to have the agent at the counter fix the erroneous charge.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Showed the guy gas receipt when dropping off, but he literally could not get the <75 mile fuel surcharge removed, even though he indicated I had filled up. Told me I had to go inside to have the agent at the counter fix the erroneous charge.
Its a common problem, especially with agents who are inexperienced on the hand-held. The counter can have it removed pretty quickly.

If you forget, you can call AVIS Customer Service, but you'll need to fax them a copy of the receipt. Its pretty easy though. I've done it a few times.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
That's my biggest gripe since Budget/Avis started this program. I almost always drive the more than 75 miles, so the original rip-off part doesn't hit me.

But about half the time now when I pick up a car, it is already a hair below F. I almost always suck it up since it normally well above a 7/8 line. But I do a slow burn since I picture the previous renter getting stuck with a double-charge for burning like $5 of gas and I get stuck paying for the gas.

This is all new since the program started, I really thing the big rip-off is they charge low mileage renters that fee, yet they don't top the car off unless it is below something like 15/16 full.
Yup, it's crap and one of the reasons I left Avis this month. I called the station manager in GEG after two rentals in a row did this. MCO was about half the time. They just don't top off the tanks. I get some money back on this, though, as I refill a near-empty flex-fuel vehicle with E-85 before I return.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:13 pm

Just got back from a 1 day rushed trip. Prepaid Avis for use of a car for 8 hrs, drove less than 20 miles. I don't know how they can charge your card without approval but I drove to the airport, had to search for a gas station close by for the $2 gas, and have the kid in the terminal waste another few minutes clearing the attempted $13.99 charge. The creeps have a sign saying it is for convenience. I'm done with Avis.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by wockster
Just got back from a 1 day rushed trip. Prepaid Avis for use of a car for 8 hrs, drove less than 20 miles. I don't know how they can charge your card without approval ...
Welcome to FT!

While I don't particularly agree with many rental policies, the terms of the gas options are spelled out on Avis.com (listed under USA->Special Equipment->Fuel Options) and at every location I've been to for the last year or so, they have a sign somewhere indicating the fee if you return without a receipt while driving < 75 miles. It's also located in rental pamphlets or on your contract. So by agreeing to the rental from them, they have your authorization. The same as if you damage the car and return it unrepaired.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wockster
have the kid in the terminal waste another few minutes clearing the attempted $13.99 charge.
A "few minutes"... Maybe it takes 20-60 seconds to clear it. Another minute if they guy has to get help... But really, did the wasting of 2-3 minutes of your life really make such an impact that you'll never use a car company again?

Get real.

Oh yeah, and welcome to FT.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles GP; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
While I don't particularly agree with many rental policies, the terms of the gas options are spelled out on Avis.com (listed under USA->Special Equipment->Fuel Options) and at every location I've been to for the last year or so, they have a sign somewhere indicating the fee if you return without a receipt while driving < 75 miles. It's also located in rental pamphlets or on your contract. So by agreeing to the rental from them, they have your authorization. The same as if you damage the car and return it unrepaired.

All true...but its still a crap policy. You return the car not full, let them charge the standard refuel charge. Avis knows a lot of business travelers frequently will have a car for only a day (maybe two) and put few miles on it, so they saw it as a way to make some extra $.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:52 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by bkafrick
A "few minutes"... Maybe it takes 20-60 seconds to clear it. Another minute if they guy has to get help... But really, did the wasting of 2-3 minutes of your life really make such an impact that you'll never use a car company again?

Get real.

Oh yeah, and welcome to FT.
Sometimes it's not just about the inconvenience (and sometimes, it truly is if you have to go into the CS desk); it's the company's attitude and their poor execution. The idea that it's only a minor inconvenience is insulting. The people at return should be asking you if you filled the tank and varify it. The problem is a number of Avis employees aren't doing their job, let alone "trying harder".
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Our company travel policy specifically states "do not buy fuel from car rental agencies". If I'm rushing to catch a flight and miss the extra charge, it's an extra step for me to have to call customer service and get them to take off the charge as my company no longer reimburses me for it. I understand the need for it but irritating nevertheless.

Due to the automatic fuel charge Avis has now dropped to being an alternate if Hertz, National or Budget (in that order) don't have cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.