Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Unknown Classification: Infiniti FX35, Volkswagen Passat, Nissan Murano, Volkswagen Taureg, Dodge Challenger.
The Nissan Murano is a W
Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

I was out of the country for a bit, but I just made all of the modifications listed... thanks everyone!

I've also made the following orange: Ford Taurus & Mercury Sable (Pre 2009) and the Ford Taurus X.

Further, Avis.com fleet list now shows the Smart Car under a new car category "Mini Cars". It only shows "Smart Car", though, not a specific model. The picture is a Smart fortwo. I tried to make reservations at select large US airports, but couldn't find any that listed it. Following the text in the links, it appears to be a "Specialty Car" even though Avis gives it a new category.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Jan 10, 2010 at 3:59 pm
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I feel sorry for the pour soul that'll inevitably get "upgraded" into one having booked a fullsize for his 5 travel companions and luggage...

YYJ had a handful of Smart ForTwos ages ago (circa 2006?) and they quietly disappeared. I notice the Mini Car class isn't listed for Canada as of yet.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:11 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I was out of the country for a bit, but I just made all of the modifications listed... thanks everyone!
Thank YOU. This is really helpful ^
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:28 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Further, Avis.com fleet list now shows the Smart Car under a new car category "Mini Cars". It only shows "Smart Car", though, not a specific model. The picture is a Smart fortwo. I tried to make reservations at select large US airports, but couldn't find any that listed it. Following the text in the links, it appears to be a "Specialty Car" even though Avis gives it a new category.
I saw a Smart Car at CH1 (downtown Chicago) on Wednesday when I picked up my car.
I'm wondering if they are limiting them to larger city locations (would make sense) at least initially.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Apparently Nissan Versa is an Intermediate. I got one this week at MDT (generally get Altima). Obviously was irritated given how underpowered/light/crammed/basic it was. When returning, the guy taking it in said its a compact. Went to the counter, person who knows me for 8-9 months now claimed its actually an intermediate and the guy taking the return was wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:53 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by BDG8R
Apparently Nissan Versa is an Intermediate. I got one this week at MDT (generally get Altima). Obviously was irritated given how underpowered/light/crammed/basic it was. When returning, the guy taking it in said its a compact. Went to the counter, person who knows me for 8-9 months now claimed its actually an intermediate and the guy taking the return was wrong.
Absolutely NO way the Versa is an Intermediate. I'm 100% sure it's a Compact (Class B). I have the receipt to prove it.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

I'd send a complaint to Avis to see what their response is. If you don't get resolution, send me a PM. I have contact info for the MDT manager, who has been stellar at resolving minor issues I've had there. Good luck!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
No luck.
Thank you for contacting Avis through www.avis.com.

My sincere apologies for the experience you had at Harrisburg Intl
Airport.

I checked their fleet to see what car class the Nissan Versa and it is a
C class. MDT is not a corporate location so they can pretty much put
their cars in any class they want. Since you do rent from MDT a lot you
can request that you do not like the Nissan Versa because it is to small
for you. The counter will do its very best to accommodate you.

Avis takes seriously its commitment to have the confirmed car available
when and where the customer has reserved it. Although car sizes are
guaranteed, specific makes or models, or optional features cannot be
guaranteed. Reservation agents can advise the counter on a renter's
preference, and when this is done, the counter will make every effort to
accommodate the preference when possible.

Although we realize that we cannot make up for a disappointing
experience such as this, we do appreciate your making this report to us.

We hope this explanation has fully answered your questions.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

No luck.
I would reply that the Versa is MUCH smaller than the "Intermediate" class details that are posted on Avis.com. The details, when comparing the Versa to the G6 (Avis.com's example of an intermediate):

Front hip room: 7.5% less
Rear shoulder room: 10% less
Rear hip room: 10% less

There's no way that car is in the same class as an intermediate when you try to haul 5 people. I know that they always say "or similar" but there's no way that 10% less back seat room is "similar".

Again, I'm sounding like a broken record, but I'd send off a complaint to the Better Business Bureau (bbb.org) because they gave you something significantly less than you agreed to, for the same price. Even if they are not a "corporate location", they take their bookings from Avis.com and Avis *CAN* dictate which car is in which category.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:56 pm

The official excuse by the Manager is "The Versa is smaller in length but gives additional head room that the corollas and G6 does not."
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:27 am

Avis Write to me that Mustang Coupe is classified as Compact...Unbelievable...like Cobalt...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tiapavo
Avis Write to me that Mustang Coupe is classified as Compact...Unbelievable...like Cobalt...
What's unbelievable that the Mustang is a compact? It's a 2-door with a TINY back seat and small trunk.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:55 am

What's unbelievable that the Mustang is a compact? It's a 2-door with a TINY back seat and small trunk.
Sure, but it was classified as Standard like Chevy Montecarlo...
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: AARP
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Absolutely NO way the Versa is an Intermediate. I'm 100% sure it's a Compact (Class B). I have the receipt to prove it.
No, it's an intermediate. I got one today and was TICKED off. They had NO other cars on the lot. I reserved an intermediate (site said G6 or similar) several days in advance. When I walked up and went in the store, I saw what looked like an Aveo in front. I didn't even look at it because I thought I'd get the G6 that was sitting next to it. Turns out the G6 was the employee's car and the Versa was for ME.

I asked if they had anything else and the rep said he could call and see if anything was in the area, but it would be a wait. I argued that the Versa could not POSSIBLY be an intermediate, but he said it was ever since the Toyotas all got pulled. He said, "it's really roomy and you'll probably like it."

I do NOT like it. It is severely underpowered, it hops over every crack in the road, and the seats are terrible. If there was another rental option nearby I'd never use Avis again. I am so ticked off that I'm stuck with this car for another 3-4 days while my car gets fixed. How does Avis justify this tiny econobox being anything other than a compact?? I don't care how much headroom it has. This is a COMPACT car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.