Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by champ.49er
I'm trying to haul 1 large suitcase, 4-5 carry-on suitcases, 3-4 backpacks, and an umbrella stroller. I just need to trunk space to get from MCO to the hotel. A total of 5 passengers. From the pictures on the HHR, PT Cruiser, and Caliber, it appears it may fit if I pack the trunk to the top, but pictures can be deceiving. Do you think it's possible?
Having driven a number of the intermediate wagons, I think you'd be hard-pressed if you're carrying all of that and 5 people. The suitcase and stroller should easily fit in the back, and maybe a few of the carry-on suitcases, but the rest of it would probably end up in the laps of people asking you why you didn't book something bigger.

However, since it's just a matter of getting to the hotel, maybe consider leaving a few behind to get a bite at the airport? If you could get the seats folded, you'd swallow all that luggage no problem. This is the guy who moved from Victoria to Edmonton in a Matrix last summer, one bedroom worth of stuff (no furniture), so midsize wagons can pack quite a haul when people aren't involved.

As far as the vehicle, I say try for a Kia Rondo. It's got the most room of all the wagons offered in the midsize class, and I've managed to fit loads of stuff without folding any of the seats down. Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I don't tihnk you are going to get all that luggage in an HHR, PT Cruiser, or Caliber, maybe a charger or magnum.....
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:22 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by champ.49er
I'm trying to haul 1 large suitcase, 4-5 carry-on suitcases, 3-4 backpacks, and an umbrella stroller. I just need to trunk space to get from MCO to the hotel. A total of 5 passengers. From the pictures on the HHR, PT Cruiser, and Caliber, it appears it may fit if I pack the trunk to the top, but pictures can be deceiving. Do you think it's possible?
Not going to happen unless you make 2 trips: 1 with luggage and 1 with people, or some combination. I had a trip where we had 4 people all with carry-on suitcases and rolling briefcases (8 small-ish bags in total) and the guys in the back seat had to hold bags in a Pontiac Vibe! You might not even fit everything in a small (5 passenger) SUV like the Edge, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:36 am

Thanks for the tip about the Kia Rondo. Now I just need to confirm with Avis MCO if they have this car.

It appears my passengers may have to carry bags on their laps to and from the airport. If that doesn't work, I'll have to make multiple trips like both of you have suggested. Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Back on topic...

Sadly no G8 GT for me at YYZ tonight I thought about whizzing over to T1 to check their supply but I had a bunch of luggage and it's been a long day

They did, however, give me a Lincoln MKS, which I don't know if it's a Premium or Luxury. They also have the MKZ there. I also saw some new 2010 Mustangs and have no idea how they're classified (specialty I think).

EDIT: Showed up on my e-receipt as a Luxury class ^

Last edited by Tuneman1984; Aug 5, 2009 at 5:09 pm
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:28 pm

Recent Experience at YYZ

So here's what I learned at YYZ:

Lincoln MKS is a luxury car, as is the Town Car.

Pontiac G8 GT is considered a speciality, as are all Mustangs.

The Mustangs are reservable in four classes:
  • Mustang V6 Coupe
  • Mustang GT Coupe
  • Mustang V6 Convertible
  • Mustang GT Convertible

Chrysler 300 is considered a Premium car (they have some Limiteds which are AWD with leather and sunroof). 300C is a luxury car.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: Avis First, AA plebian :(
Just wanted to note that my reciept from FLL shows the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder as group K (convertible).
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: too many
Rented from Avis in San Diego, a STANDARD rental (which is still blank in the list here on page one)

Was offered a Hyundai Sonata, declined that as I live in Korea and see and ride in Sonatas all the time--we call them taxis.

Requested a Nissan Altima, as that was my "standard" rental at Budget a couple weeks prior, out of stock. That Altima at Budget was a 4 cyl., btw.

Ended up with a Ford Fusion, 4 cyl. Total dog of a car compared to the 4 cyl. Altima; can't understand its high ratings. Anyway, it's the advertised "standard" car, but my e-receipt listed it and charged it as "full size" car, which is wrong, as we all know.

So, now you have three cars to add to the "standard" rental list. Though two of them are also listed as full-size. Maybe they're allocated to both classes, or the standards are all 4 cyl.

Last edited by dlxmax; Aug 23, 2009 at 12:15 am
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:28 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Not sure anyone is updating this anymore, but just rented a subcompact in Chicago this weekend and got a 4-door Toyota Yaris. Great little car for a Class A. ^
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates, please keep them coming. I think I've got all of them that are listed up to here. I have left the Sonata as "Full Size" as a coworker had one recently & that's how it showed on his receipt... they probably offered it to you, dlxmax, as an "upgrade"

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Aug 26, 2009 at 6:21 pm
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is the Caddy CTS really a "specialty" car? I've gotten it many times as a Pres Club upgrade from Full size, including recently at ORD. I thought it was two steps up from Full Size?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Is the Caddy CTS really a "specialty" car? I've gotten it many times as a Pres Club upgrade from Full size, including recently at ORD. I thought it was two steps up from Full Size?
According to the Avis Fleet Guide (as of 8-27-09), the CTS is still listed as specialty. Even if you get it, it doesn't mean that it's "only" 2 steps up. Depending on availability, they can upgrade you any number of classes, or not at all. Personally, I'd think this falls short of "luxury" or even "premium". The CTS is quite small, so if you book full-size, I think this car might fall a bit short of that, but it's just me.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The CTS is quite small, so if you book full-size, I think this car might fall a bit short of that, but it's just me.
Well it's certainly smaller than a LeSabre, but it's a whole lot nicer! Lots of trunk space and great acceleration. However even though the key ring said it had XM, the only XM channels that worked were the promo and emergency channel. Is that a new thing? I know Avis Caddy's used to have all the XM channels. But it's been a while since I had one.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:31 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

Unknown Classification: Infiniti FX35, Volkswagen Passat, Nissan Murano, Volkswagen Taureg, Dodge Challenger, Nissan Versa.
I can confirm that the Nissan Versa is Class B - Compact. I received this car at PDX recently.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
However even though the key ring said it had XM, the only XM channels that worked were the promo and emergency channel. Is that a new thing? I know Avis Caddy's used to have all the XM channels. But it's been a while since I had one.
I've found that new GM models have only been coming with 3 months of XM instead of the previous 6 months (I think it was 6). So if the car is a bit older, it might have been de-activated. I've had a few lately that are de-activated and when I've called, they told me that the subscription had expired on those and they cannot reactivate it.

Originally Posted by g_leyser
I can confirm that the Nissan Versa is Class B - Compact. I received this car at PDX recently.
Thanks, I'll add that and my car this week, a 370z when I find out what class it is. BTW, it's an AMAZING ride!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.