FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Ultimate Gas Station list for AVIS returns (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/642843-ultimate-gas-station-list-avis-returns.html)

heffa Jan 3, 2007 1:10 pm

Ultimate Gas Station list for AVIS returns

The ultimate airport list with convenient AVIS gas stations

Very close to AVIS
You cannot miss these gas stations

ABE - Sunoco right across from the airport entrance (Avis is onsite)
ATL - I-85 Virginia Ave exit. Two gas stations right at the top of the ramp, super easy out and back on to I-85.
BTR - Texaco station on Veterans Memorial Blvd leading to the airport, cant miss it. Take I-110 exit 6, follow signs for airport, you'll pass it.
CPH - Statoil right there but you have to go slightly past the car rental return garage unless you are coming from the east. Link
DEN - On the way to AVIS (from I-70)
DTW - Left side before you make the last right hand turn towards Avis
FLL - S.E. 17th St. and U.S.1 BP Station has best prices < mile to airport
IAD - On the way to AVIS (this gas station can be crowded)
IAH - At the intersection of JFK Blvd. and Greens Rd. there are 2 gas stations. One heading toward the airport and rental car return (northbound), the other heading away (southbound).
IAH - Cheeper alternative (20c/gallon): When heading northbound to return the rental car, head to the left hand turn lane on on JFK Blvd. at Greens Rd. and make a U-turn right into the southbound gas station. When leaving the station, head out on Greens Rd. eastbound and go straight into the left hand turn lane onto JFK Blvd. to continue your trip to rental car return.
IND - BP maybe 200 meters away on the corner where you make a right turn down to Avis
JAX - 3 gas stations at the I-95 airport exit 1/2 mile from airport
LAX - There are several gas stations in the area. No worries, you will pass one
LGA - BP station direct opposite AVIS entry
LIS - Coming from the city center or the south, there is a Total station right at the roundabout before you climb up to the airport. Coming from the North on the A-1 exit for the Aeroporto Chegadas (arrivals), and there is a BP station right by the arrivals area; you will then need to keep going up to the departures area where the entrance to the rental car center is.
HNL - 25 feet from the avis car return location (limited hours)
RDU - On the way in to the airport: Coming from the East (Raleigh), there is a Sheetz gas station with good prices north of I-40 on Aviation Blvd (Exit 285) at National Guard Blvd (right after the Park and Ride sign).
If coming from the West (Durham, Chapel Hill), go one exit past the signed airport exit (Exit 285-Aviation Blvd) and turn left at the light.
ROC - Sunoco, just before the turnoff to the airport
RSW - BP, Just before entering airport property at Daniels Pkwy and Treeline Ave
SEA - For those who haven't been there, Seattle is easy. There are several stations along International Blvd.
SAN - Shell after exiting the I-5 (some thinks it hard to get in/out of this station). Option 2, a 76 station at the corner of Rosecrans and Harbor blvd. Take the Rosecrans exit off I-5, head down to Harbor, fill up, and take Harbor to the airport. This has the added bonus of having a few restaurants along Rosecrans if you want to grab a bit before heading to the airport. 1704 Rosecrans
SMF - Take airport exit, on right before rental car turn off.
SNA - A Chevron right across MacArthur from the airport. 18692 MacArthur
SPI - Shell almost opposite from airport entrance
STL - BP station 1 block away in front of The Parking Spot

Close by AVIS
You might need to follow the directions to find the gas station

ARN - Statoil within the airport area, but not convenient for car rental returns. I would stop at Eurostop an exit or so before if you are coming from Stockholm
ATL - Southbound on I85: There is a gas station one exit prior to the airport exit. However, the rates are generally amongst the highest in Atlanta.
BOS - Citgo, on the airport loop. Kind of hard to drive to
BWI - Left off exit going away from the consolidated rental facility. Cross railroad tracks and it is on the right in front of cargo city.
CVG - From 275, exit to the north on Mineola Pike (1 exit east of the Airport exit) turn right, gas station visible from first stop sign on the NW corner of the intersection.
DCA - Exxon, on Route 1, southbound side, 200 feet north of the exit for the bridge leading into the airport
DFW - Shell, from International Parkways (going North) exiting on Rental Car Exit
DTW - (alternative) Instead of following airport signs, when you come down Merriman Road (which is the road that runs directly into the airport), you can go down to the first light south of I-94 (Burton Drive, by the post office) and turn around on Merriman to get back to the rental car return area. There is a gas station at the southeast corner of the intersection where you turn around
DUB - Stations on the way out of the airport. Drive straight through the airport "drop off" zone without stopping and you will see the station on the way out of the airport complex.
FNT - Mobil, just before entering the airport property. Closest intersection is W Bristol Rd and Torrey Rd...
LAN - Citgo, Grand River Ave at Waverly Rd, 1/2 mile from airport entrance
LAS - Arco station on the corner of Tropicana and Paradise. Don't accept AmEx
LGW - Stations on the way out of the airport. Drive straight through the airport "drop off" zone without stopping and you will see the station on the way out of the airport complex.
LHR - Texaco on Bath Rd, west of the Avis, maybe 500 m. On the LHS if coming from the west, so convenient since they drive on the left. I think the corner is Sipson Rd if you look at a map
MBS - Village of Freeland, several reasonable choices. Also, Speedway @ Midland Rd & Tittabawassee
MCO 1 - RaceTrak - north side of Sand Lake Rd (Rt.482), maybe 3mi west of the arpt.
MCO 2 - 7-11 with gas within two miles of MCO from the East, West, and North. (East) SR 528 & Narcoosee Road (County 15), (West) SR 528 & Tradeport Drive, (North) SR 436 & Hofner. Avoid at all costs the Suncoast Energy station on SR 436 with no prices posted (google Suncoast Energy Orlando or search here on FT).
MHT - 2 Citgo's and a Mobil between the I-293 ramp and the airport (opposite side of the road). The airport is 1.5 miles north of the ramp. Avis is on-site.
MSP - Speeway station on Post Road - exit before/after the airport
PIT - A gas station with specific signage as you enter the airport but it's really on the way out so you would have to loop back
RNO - There are four options within a mile of the airport or so. Three of them are on or near Plumb Lane, just west of the airport -- an Exxon station and a USA Station at or near the corner of Plumb and Harvard, and the Costco on Harvard, just south of Plumb. In addition, there is a station on the northwest corner of Mill and Terminal, north of the airport and not far from what used to be the Reno Hilton
SFO - L&C Gas & Chevron: US101, Broadway Exit (two exits south of the airport)
SFO - Mini-mart/gas station complex: US101, Millbrae Ave WEST Exit (one exit south of the airport, WEST exit)
SFO - 76 station: US101, Millbrae Ave WEST Exit (one exit south of the airport) on the crn of Millbrae and El Camino

Out of the way Gas Stations

ALB - None. Closest ones are on Wolf Rd, Exit 4 on I-87N
BRU - I never noticed any. I fill in advance. If you go the normal way from downtown via the tunnel there is a Total on LHS of the major one way street (forget the name) just before the tunnel. It's one of those urban inside the building jobs with one lane and two pumps
CLE - 480 W: Take the 150th street exit, at the end of the ramp make a right. Then make another right on Brookpark Road. Follow Brookpark and the Speedway will be on the Right just past Henry Ford (Engle) Road. (From this direction Engle road is actually named Henry Ford - go figure.) [same Speedway as 480 E]
CLE - 480 E: Take the Grayton Road exit, follow the signs to the Rental Car facility but instead of turning on Rocky River road, stay on Brookpark and the Speedway will be on your left. [same Speedway as 480 W]
CLE - 71 N: Take the Bagley road exit, at the end of the ramp turn Left and move the right lane. Just under the 71 overpass, the Speedway will be on the Right. For shortcut to go back to the airport, follow the road to go behind the Speedway (shares a parking lot with Olive Garden) and circle around to the left. This will bring you past an Arbys where you can turn Right on Engle. Engle deadends with Brookpark road (by the Speedway mentioned above). Turn Left on Brookpark to continue to the Rental car facility.
DAY - The closest requires that you exit right onto route 40 before final stretch of access road. There is a Shell station in the charming town of Vandalia on your right a mile or two down the road. If you are coming from the north then it would be better to exit onto route 40 off I-75 rather than going down to I-70 and taking the acces road. But the best bet is to fill in advance
EWR - From turnpike, take the exit for 1&9 S then make a U-turn (typical NJ jughandle type thing). There are 3 stations between Turnpike and EWR this way: Delta, Shell, Hess. Easier way, just buy gas at Grover Cleveland service centre (between exits 11 and 12, northbound).
NUE - Make sure that you fill up on the way. You will pass a zillion gas stations in either direction on the ring road
PHL - Sunoco: 1 exit south of airport - follow signs to Comfort Inn and other hotels hotels (you cross 95 if coming from Philly). At the first light, turn right (going south) and a Sunoco is on the right before the comfort inn.
SLC - Closes ist Sapp Bros (Sinclair) just off of Exit 21 (California Avenue) on I-215. You can't miss the giant coffee pot sign. It's the last exit before the I-80/SLC Airport interchange if you're heading NB on 215 or first exit after the I-80/215 interchangeif you're heading SB or coming from I-80.

==> Please submit your airports and I'll update the list!

AJK1535 Jan 4, 2007 5:28 pm

DEN: Right on the way from the I70 exit to Pena when you are on your way to Rental Car Return. Maybe 3 minutes away and on airport property. It is about 20 cents a gallon more though.

gj83 Jan 4, 2007 5:37 pm

STL - BP station 1 block away in front of The Parking Spot.

MileageAddict Jan 4, 2007 6:22 pm

DTW- ON your left side before you make the last right hand turn towards Avis

heffa Jan 4, 2007 6:27 pm

Added DEN, STL, DTW to the list

Global_Hi_Flyer Jan 5, 2007 1:40 pm

DCA - Exxon station, on Route 1, southbound side, 200 feet north of the exit for the bridge leading into the airport.

sorro Jan 5, 2007 4:06 pm

LAS: The Arco on the corner of Tropicana and Paradise has been the best I've found. Make sure you have something other than an AmEx to pay though - they don't take AmEx, even though they're part of BP.

gnaget Jan 6, 2007 2:02 am

I think you need to categorize it by convenience. For some airports it's a hassle so one should fill up within range, e.g. 50 miles when you pass a station. For example, many (most) people going DCA access it via the GW Parkway and getting to the gas stations on route 1 is a pain. You would have to go up onto the airport loop and then out over the bridge down to route 1 and then make a U-turn.

Other airports are convenient where I don't bother filling within range. E.g. IAD and IND. At IND there is a BP station maybe 200 meters away on the corner where you make a right turn down to Avis.

Even DTW is a nuisance since you have to turn left and then it's a pain to get back out across traffic. I fill in Warren and have no problems, which is 30+ miles away.

At BOS getting to that Citgo on the airport loop is a pain so I would always fill in advance. Don't even ask me how to get there with the new maze that they created.

ROC: there is a Sunoco just before the turnoff to the airport. That one's easy.

PIT. There is a gas station with specific signage as you enter the airport but it's really on the way out so you would have to loop back. Again, I always fill in advance at PIT for this reason.

DAY: There are none. The closest requires that you exit right onto route 40 before final stretch of access road. There is a Shell station in the charming town of Vandalia (sic) on your right a mile or two down the road. If you are coming from the north then it would be better to exit onto route 40 off I-75 rather than going down to I-70 and taking the acces road. But the best bet is to fill in advance.

NUE: none. Make sure that you fill up on the way. You will pass a zillion gas stations in either direction on the ring road.

CPH: there is a Statoil right there but you have to go slightly past the car rental return garage unless you are coming from the west.

ARN: there is a Statoil within the airport area but not convenient for car rental returns. I would stop at Eurostop an exit or so before if you are coming from Stockholm.

BRU: I never noticed any. I fill in advance. If you go the normal way from downtown via the tunnel there is a Total on LHS of the major one way street (forget the name) just before the tunnel. It's one of those urban inside the building jobs with one lane and two pumps.

LHR: The Texaco on Bath Rd, west of the Avis, maybe 500 m. On the LHS if coming from the west, so convenient since they drive on the left. I think the corner is Sipson Rd if you look at a map.

LAX: There are several gas stations in the area. No worries. You will pass one.

SLC: None. I go there frequently and always fill up in advance.

nwaaok Jan 6, 2007 7:12 pm

FNT- Mobil, just before entering the airport property. Closest intersection is W Bristol Rd and Torrey Rd...

LAN- Citgo, Grand River Ave at Waverly Rd, 1/2 mile from airport entrance.

RSW- BP, Just before entering airport property at Daniels Pkwy and Treeline Ave.

weezl Jan 6, 2007 7:27 pm

I would think that the best list would contain the lowest priced gas within convenient range (meaning on the way but not necessarily closest), not just the ones closest to the airport...

nako Jan 6, 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict (Post 6952849)
DTW- ON your left side before you make the last right hand turn towards Avis

Note that there are two ways to get back to Avis at DTW, not one. The one that MileageAddict mentioned is the way that is signed when you leave I-94 -- down Middlebelt Road -- but if you come down Merriman Road (which is the road that runs directly into the airport), you can go down to the first light south of I-94 (Burton Drive, by the post office) and turn around on Merriman to get back to the rental car return area. There is a gas station at the southeast corner of the intersection where you turn around.

At RNO, there are four options within a mile of the airport or so. Three of them are on or near Plumb Lane, just west of the airport -- an Exxon station and a USA Station at or near the corner of Plumb and Harvard, and the Costco on Harvard, just south of Plumb. In addition, there is a station on the northwest corner of Mill and Terminal, north of the airport and not far from what used to be the Reno Hilton.

Mike

Buster Jan 8, 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 6943997)

PDX - on the airport road

Where exactly is this gas station? I travel to PDX frequently but have never found a convenient gas station...

BamaVol Jan 8, 2007 5:50 pm

At ABE, there's a Sunoco station right across from the airport entrance (Avis is onsite).

s25843 Jan 8, 2007 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by weezl (Post 6965316)
I would think that the best list would contain the lowest priced gas within convenient range (meaning on the way but not necessarily closest), not just the ones closest to the airport...

Right, generally speaking, the closer you are to the airport, the higher the rates are.

For an easy example of this, take a ride down Route 1 in South Florida. Start at Hallandale and drive to the airport. I have seen prices up to 18 cents/gallon higher at the closest stations to the airport.

BamaVol Jan 9, 2007 7:55 am

Originally Posted by s25843 (Post 6978601)
Right, generally speaking, the closer you are to the airport, the higher the rates are.

For an easy example of this, take a ride down Route 1 in South Florida. Start at Hallandale and drive to the airport. I have seen prices up to 18 cents/gallon higher at the closest stations to the airport.

Still a bargain compared to returning with an empty tank.