Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
How do you get upgrades to bmws/xts/specialty cars? My location pretty strict about limiting upgrades to luxury vehicles.
What locations do you have issues with? I've not had issues at large locations if they have a couple on the lot. The XTS is still hard to find (IMO) but I've been given it anytime I asked for it. BMW's (3 series, 5 series, X5, X3) seem to be a dime a dozen anymore but i don't want them. If it's a smaller location, then I've had issues getting specialty vehicles, just like this morning when I asked for the JX35 in ILG (Wilmington DE). But PHL and ORD have had no problems giving it to me.

Granted, the high end specialty (Corvette, Navigator, Escalade) are tough to get.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Currently, I just shoot off an email to the chairman desk with my rental confirmation number and let them know that I would prefer X car. I always put a line in there that says I know that upgrades are based on availability.
I usually call but sending a quick email may be better. Can you PM me the email addy you use?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1k | Hyatt Diamond?, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime) | IHG Platinum | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
BMW's (3 series, 5 series, X5, X3) seem to be a dime a dozen anymore but i don't want them. If it's a smaller location, then I've had issues getting specialty vehicles, just like this morning when I asked for the JX35 in ILG (Wilmington DE). But PHL and ORD have had no problems giving it to me.

Granted, the high end specialty (Corvette, Navigator, Escalade) are tough to get.
In the times I have been denied, it is usually over a BMW or a specialty convert (Vette or SS Camaro) rather than the Escalades. At least during non-peak, the big SUV's tend to sit. I received Navigators a few times and hate them. Much prefer the Tahoe/Suburban or Escalade.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jisaac
I usually call but sending a quick email may be better. Can you PM me the email addy you use?
Wait, there's a Chairman's email address?

What locations do you have issues with?
Well, I rent primarily from DCA. Was explicitly told by district manager that they won't upgrade CHM to Specialty cars...so that pretty much kills off any hope of an upgrade along that path.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Wait, there's a Chairman's email address?

Well, I rent primarily from DCA. Was explicitly told by district manager that they won't upgrade CHM to Specialty cars...so that pretty much kills off any hope of an upgrade along that path.
That's sad. Perhaps try to make friends with the desk jockeys who do the real work? Stop in the Preferred/First desk before picking up your next car and ask for a favor.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:18 am

That's sad. Perhaps try to make friends with the desk jockeys who do the real work? Stop in the Preferred/First desk before picking up your next car and ask for a favor.
Haha, already tried that...but they inevitably end up contacting the DM for permission to upgrade & I don't want to get them in trouble.

Maybe I'll just put in a generic request next time for luxury vehicle with Sirius and factory nav.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 pm

That's pretty much what I have done at LAX. At least 3 of the guys at the Preferred desk know my face and are willing to work with me to get a car I want.

What locations do you have issues with? I've not had issues at large locations if they have a couple on the lot. The XTS is still hard to find (IMO) but I've been given it anytime I asked for it. BMW's (3 series, 5 series, X5, X3) seem to be a dime a dozen anymore but i don't want them. If it's a smaller location, then I've had issues getting specialty vehicles, just like this morning when I asked for the JX35 in ILG (Wilmington DE). But PHL and ORD have had no problems giving it to me.

Depends on the location, I requested/received one at PHL in the spring and on a Saturday morning with the lot pretty full it was the only one they had out. I'm surprised they have a JX35 at ILG.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LYS

PC
Reserved Compact, received Citroën DS5. Probably the best French car I've ever driven and certainly better than any US based BMW I've rented in recent years. And I think my very first rental car that had a heads-up display! It has a little piece of plexiglas that swivels up on command near the windshield. And it displays your speed and other stuff like cruise control, etc.

It also had very nice bucket seats, upper and lower console, separate moon-roofs for driver, passenger and rear seats, butt-warmers, GPS, nice smartphone interface, backup video camera, etc.

I would not mind owning this car.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Level: PC
Rented: Intermediate
Offerred: Ford Taurus
Requested: any car with factory Nav
Drove Off: Ford Taurus w/Nav

Am I good or what?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by QSilver

Am I good or what?
Whats more impressive is that AVIS knew which of their Taurii had factory nav... AFAIK, there's nothing in the AVIS Rez system that shows which vehicles have factory nav.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:25 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Am I good or what?
If you rent often from Avis, I suggest picking up a Ford Nav SD card somewhere (eBay?). I've often been in them when they don't have the card & it's a waste. I'm still at a loss as to why Ford requires the card
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Whats more impressive is that AVIS knew which of their Taurii had factory nav... AFAIK, there's nothing in the AVIS Rez system that shows which vehicles have factory nav.
The agent did it the old-fashioned way: He picked 2-3 cars from the screen and walked out to check them on the line. The car I got was the second vehicle he checked, and it was in Select & Go.

If you rent often from Avis, I suggest picking up a Ford Nav SD card somewhere (eBay?). I've often been in them when they don't have the card & it's a waste. I'm still at a loss as to why Ford requires the card
I rent from Avis quite a bit, so depending on the cost of the nav card, I might do this.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz 5*, Hilton Gold, SW A-List
DAL
First
Intermediate
Received a Ford Flex

I had an absolutely horrible experience at Hertz and canceled my reservation and walked to Avis. I was 1 of 3 that walked out. The other 2 went to Enterprise.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
The agent did it the old-fashioned way: He picked 2-3 cars from the screen and walked out to check them on the line.
I must say... I'm impressed.

At the new BOS Unified Rental Center, there's often only 1 person in the preferred booth, so i'm surprised they'd leave their post to go scout the cars out... but i'm happy they did it for you!! (and hopefully me in the future, since i'm at BOS once a month)
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I must say... I'm impressed.

At the new BOS Unified Rental Center, there's often only 1 person in the preferred booth, so i'm surprised they'd leave their post to go scout the cars out... but i'm happy they did it for you!! (and hopefully me in the future, since i'm at BOS once a month)
Yep...he was the only agent there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.