Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Italy 'premium' car is Alfa Giulia "or similar" - what is chance of getting a Giulia?

Italy 'premium' car is Alfa Giulia "or similar" - what is chance of getting a Giulia?

Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")

I have an upcoming rental in northern Italy, and I've currently rented a 'premium' class (group H) through Avis, which the fleet guide indicates should be an Alfa Giulia or similar. (Note: it's not from the 'Select' series option which allows you to guarantee a Giulia... at substantial cost.)

I know I'm not guaranteed to get a Giulia, but I'm an Alfa fan and would really like to drive one. If I'm likely to end up with something else, I'd prefer to go for a smaller car and save some $$$. Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of either 1) whether Avis in Italy seems to have a lot of Alfa Giulias or 2) what the 'or similar' might mean in this case?

thanks
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Similar would likely be an A4, maybe a 3 Series.

Don't know in Italy and unfortunately but I have yet to see a Giulia at a rental location in Europe.

BTW, It's not that special. Unless it's a quadrifoglio. It's a rather dull car.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:47 pm

My experience of Avis in Italy - I've never received the "example" vehicle, always the "or similar".
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by Redwood839
Similar would likely be an A4, maybe a 3 Series.

Don't know in Italy and unfortunately but I have yet to see a Giulia at a rental location in Europe.

My expectations aren't all that high, especially given that it would be a diesel automatic, yet it's an itch I want to scratch. The Giulia Veloce (and of course the Quadrifoglio) would be genuinely fun but I'm not prepared to shell out the crazy $$$ to rent one of those. An A4 or 3 series would be fun too.

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
My experience of Avis in Italy - I've never received the "example" vehicle, always the "or similar".
True... though the fact that the Alfa is the only Italian model likely to be in that class, and probably the cheapest / most subsidised, makes me think that the chances could be decent.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
True... though the fact that the Alfa is the only Italian model likely to be in that class, and probably the cheapest / most subsidised, makes me think that the chances could be decent.
Careful you don't end up with a Fiat lol
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Thankfully Fiat don't make anything of that size anymore - haven't for quite a few years.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I once Pricelined a $10 rental for a last minute trip to attend a funeral. The Hertz guy tried to upsell me by saying "You only get a Fiat 500 at that price, for $7 more I can get you in a midsize." I was genuinely excited for the Fiat, and it totally threw the guy off (I'm 5'10" and a 56" waist). I enjoyed that little car so much that I traded my BMW 3-series for a 500 Abarth within a year. Thanks Hertz!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:04 am

Wink

Originally Posted by Gig103
I once Pricelined a $10 rental for a last minute trip to attend a funeral. The Hertz guy tried to upsell me by saying "You only get a Fiat 500 at that price, for $7 more I can get you in a midsize." I was genuinely excited for the Fiat, and it totally threw the guy off (I'm 5'10" and a 56" waist). I enjoyed that little car so much that I traded my BMW 3-series for a 500 Abarth within a year. Thanks Hertz!
I don't mind Fiat's. I drove a 500X which everyone hates for about 6 months on a company car and it was fine, crappy tranny.

Don't think I would get a 500 series, even if it were an Abarth. Everyone has their tastes!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I don't mind Fiat's. I drove a 500X which everyone hates for about 6 months on a company car and it was fine, crappy tranny.

Don't think I would get a 500 series, even if it were an Abarth. Everyone has their tastes!
I hear you about differing tastes. I still to this day think it's funny that Hertz's extortion attempt became my daily driver for 3 years
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Now that is a car I really hated - had one as a rental in Montenegro. Handled like a boat, no power, dreadful transmission, bloated and ugly to look at. Most small Euro cars, even budget ones with tiny engines, I find enjoyable to drive but that thing was just appalling.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:03 pm

I wonder did the OP get his Giulia.

I was reminded of this thread as I just had to book for a pickup at Milan Linate for next week, and right at the top of the list (I.e. the cheapest) was a 500 Abarth.....or similar.

I wonder if I will actually get it.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Now that is a car I really hated - had one as a rental in Montenegro. Handled like a boat, no power, dreadful transmission, bloated and ugly to look at. Most small Euro cars, even budget ones with tiny engines, I find enjoyable to drive but that thing was just appalling.
Agree, it's as bad as the Opel/Vauxhall Mokka...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Couldn't agree less...

To say the Giulia is a dull car is somewhat odd. it's a fantastic car to drive (you only have to read the reviews to know that), and while I didn't go for one at the time I was considering it due to other issues I found with the car, handling or fun factor was sure not one of them.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Couldn't agree less...

To say the Giulia is a dull car is somewhat odd. it's a fantastic car to drive (you only have to read the reviews to know that), and while I didn't go for one at the time I was considering it due to other issues I found with the car, handling or fun factor was sure not one of them.
Aye, when I was looking at buying a new car I looked at all the options. I considered the Giulia, the Kia Stinger, S4 etc etc. I wasn't stupid enough to spend 65K on a Alfa (Quadri). Ended up with an M3.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:04 am

I received a Giulia as an upgrade once in Rome FCO was fun to drive I thought. Also got the 500 Abarth once, very nippy (a little too nippy as I got pinged speeding). Also on that occasion someone took a liking to the Abarth badge on the side and took it off the car which Avis spotted and charged me €90 for.

Most of the time they kept giving me 500Xs which as with others above I found a pig of a car and terrible to drive. I once asked them at the counter why they kept giving me 500Xs as an 'upgrade' as its terrible to which the lady behind the counter meekly replied that in Italy they think of the 500X as a good car, that's when I snapped back into reality and realised I was trashing an Italian brand and should maybe temper my criticism.
Dubh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.