Wiki Posts
Search

Modifying an air miles booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Modifying an air miles booking

Just made a booking using AA miles. I want, if possible to (a) add LDW and Sirius and (b) add in my Preferred #. The Avis site doesn't seem to allow that, or am I missing something? Do I have to call in?

Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rpjepson
Just made a booking using AA miles. I want, if possible to (a) add LDW and Sirius and (b) add in my Preferred #. The Avis site doesn't seem to allow that, or am I missing something? Do I have to call in?
Maybe you have to cancel (if you can) and do a non-miles booking?

I'm not sure if miles booking are actually made using your account.

When I once made a paid booking as part of an AA Vacations package, AA put their own Wizard number on it and as a result I was not able to add mine or make any changes to it. Luckily AA includes LDW in that case. But of course not Sirius.

So you need to find out (by calling in) if AA's Wizard number is already on the reservation. If it is, I'm pretty sure you can't substitute your Wizard (Preferred) number or make any changes. So if those changea are important to you, you may have to cancel the miles reservation (if that's possible) and make a normal paid reservation.

Only if there is no Wizard number on it yet might you be able to add yours and make those changes. But I think only by calling in can you figure all this out.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:04 am
Original Poster

All slightly odd, but this may be useful to someone.

The booking eventually let me modify, by way of adding LDW etc but wouldn't let me add my Wizard#.

However, regardless of modification I made, Avis then sent an automated email, in which I had suddenly been charged the regular base rate like any other rental. If I go back in and remove the LDW etc, the base rate disappears.

Asked Avis about it, received a collective shrug. So, we shall see what happens at the counter.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by rpjepson
All slightly odd, but this may be useful to someone.

The booking eventually let me modify, by way of adding LDW etc but wouldn't let me add my Wizard#.

However, regardless of modification I made, Avis then sent an automated email, in which I had suddenly been charged the regular base rate like any other rental. If I go back in and remove the LDW etc, the base rate disappears.

Asked Avis about it, received a collective shrug. So, we shall see what happens at the counter.
I suspect you can buy an LDW from the counter, but a word of warning on trying to add your Wizard# ... Unless things have changed in the past 3-4 years, don't. Back in Dec 2014 I tried to get an upgrade on a Priceline booking by showing my PC card -- I was hoping the agent would just grab the keys to a nicer car but instead she added my Wizard# and it recalculated the whole thing and came in $36/day more than my bid ($50 corp rate vs $14 bit). They couldn't resolve it on the spot, I had to drive off to make an appointment, and spent too much time on the phone getting Priceline to re-transmit my reservation so an agent could manually restore it to my RA#.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Following this thread from last year, you'd think I would have learned my lesson.

Just booked using AA miles again. The booking didn't have any insurance etc, so I went in to modify the booking. Added LDW and Sirius and...

That'll be £324 please.

Asked Avis - "ask AA." Asked AA - "ask Avis." I can't risk being dinged for that much on arrival, so will just have to cancel it. It does beg the question as to the point of a miles booking if it always comes to more than a regular booking (£100 less for the same car.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.