Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:16 pm

last time I booked got a Mustang with a choice of a 300S or a Legacy. Cancelled and took something from National.

I am Preferred Plus, not too sure how they treat Preferred.

Originally Posted by penone
Avis Status - Prefered
Car type/Class - Premium
Dates: Wednesday (8/22) - Friday (8/24)

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jim32190
Avis Preferred Plus
Class F or below
SEA

What can I expect? Hertz PC/National EE would be nice but on a corporate rate for Avis it is significantly cheaper.
Bump on this ^
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
  • President's Club
  • XC Special (Prius Hybrid)
  • AUS airport
  • a few days in late August
Our corporate rate was cheaper for XC than any standard/intermediate/full size but when not using a corp code it's almost three times as much for the Prius (XC) than full size.
I don't really 'need' a Hybrid but wonder if the upgrade from that would be better than from a regular full size car.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:59 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Your Avis status: Preferred (sigh)
Car type/class reserved: Full-size, on avis website logged in.
Dates or General timing (weekday/weekend, month, major holidays): Weekday around 1pm

Any tips on avoiding the Toyota Camry? I'd highly prefer a car with Apple CarPlay (like the Kia Optima or the Ford Focus) even if it's smaller than the Camry.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Avis MCO must have gotten a deal on VWs. Multiple Bugs in the garage, and we have a Passat for my current full-size booking.

Side note...I think the Passat is one of the best Fulls you can get right now. Trunk is huge...it easily fit two full-sized suitcases with room for two more rollaboards. Plenty of room for 4 passengers and the DSG/TSI engine combo make it fun to drive.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rflor
Avis MCO must have gotten a deal on VWs. Multiple Bugs in the garage, and we have a Passat for my current full-size booking.

Side note...I think the Passat is one of the best Fulls you can get right now. Trunk is huge...it easily fit two full-sized suitcases with room for two more rollaboards. Plenty of room for 4 passengers and the DSG/TSI engine combo make it fun to drive.
Agreed. I've had 3 generations of Passat and they're fantastic cars. I love the diesels in europe though, that little TDI is preppy.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:46 pm

Luxury at AVIS or Luxury at Hertz at LAX, rate is kinda the same, looking to maybe look at some upgrades to a Mercedes or something when i get there, been satisfied with AVIS for my last two rentals, but also satisfied with Hertz in the past.

WWYD?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:13 am

Your Avis status: Preferred
Car type/class reserved: STANDARD SUV GROUP W
Date: September 10 mid-PM
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: United Silver
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reserved:Chevrolet Cruze (Most likely booked through a company travel software)
Dates: Pickup 9/3 @ 12:35pm / Return 9/4 @ 6:30PM

Also I wanted to ask what I expect to be a dumb questions but here it goes - If I am not given an upgrade during check-in I can pay for one correct? At what point should I bring that up in the conversation as I don't want to jeopardize the free upgrade (by bring too trigger early/etc)

Thanks A Ton!!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
Originally Posted by thebob6
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reserved:Chevrolet Cruze (Most likely booked through a company travel software)
Dates: Pickup 9/3 @ 12:35pm / Return 9/4 @ 6:30PM

Also I wanted to ask what I expect to be a dumb questions but here it goes - If I am not given an upgrade during check-in I can pay for one correct? At what point should I bring that up in the conversation as I don't want to jeopardize the free upgrade (by bring too trigger early/etc)

Thanks A Ton!!
You can always pay to upgrade if they have the vehicle available. Typically it's $xx per day depending on the vehicle. Since you are just gold I doubt you'll get an upgrade unless they are out of the class you booked.

Edit: Avis doesn't have gold, I think you mean preferred?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Talk To Me Goose
Your Avis status: Preferred
Car type/class reserved: STANDARD SUV GROUP W
Date: September 10 mid-PM
Actually received a Toyota Rav 4 - a Class F: Intermediate SUV vehicle so it was a downgrade.

Only realised in hindsight.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:08 pm

First time Avis renter!

car Class: Group A
Dates: mid November for two weeks. Wed-Wed

Dont know now what to expect, wouldnt mind paying to upgrade a little but interested to know what wed get. Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:20 am

• Prefeered Plus
  • W Standard SUV ( Jeep Grand Cheroke) / booked throw partnership miles&points with airline SAS (Scandinavian Airlines)
  • YYC (Calgary International airport)
  • Friday 4 PM 25 January 2019 for 8 days forward.
Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
MIA 26th October - Preferred. Had a long standing reservation for a group S, Standard Elite SUV. Tiny sample size as I rent maybe twice a year in the USA, but once again no group S available, which seems to be the norm for me. Was offered a van, no thanks, or a smaller SUV, asked politely that if they didn't have what I'd reserved and pre-paid for I should get something larger/better, not a downgrade. I could see a Yukon so pointed that out, ignored. Much tapping and then a Ford Flex was found, not my fav, but is basically what I'd reserved. Guy said this is a van, I said it's a cross-over and not really a van, I know this all gets so silly, so just left the booth for the car.
But whilst I'm not done with Avis as I realise all rental companies are much the same, I think I am done with Standard Elite SUV as Avis seem to regard this as an up sell in price only, then expect to just use another car class for the rental. Small sample as I say, but it seems to be repeatedly the case for me to just not have this group and expect the renter to be happy with something else.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by dougzz
MIA 26th October - Preferred. Had a long standing reservation for a group S, Standard Elite SUV. Tiny sample size as I rent maybe twice a year in the USA, but once again no group S available, which seems to be the norm for me. Was offered a van, no thanks, or a smaller SUV, asked politely that if they didn't have what I'd reserved and pre-paid for I should get something larger/better, not a downgrade. I could see a Yukon so pointed that out, ignored. Much tapping and then a Ford Flex was found, not my fav, but is basically what I'd reserved. Guy said this is a van, I said it's a cross-over and not really a van, I know this all gets so silly, so just left the booth for the car.
But whilst I'm not done with Avis as I realise all rental companies are much the same, I think I am done with Standard Elite SUV as Avis seem to regard this as an up sell in price only, then expect to just use another car class for the rental. Small sample as I say, but it seems to be repeatedly the case for me to just not have this group and expect the renter to be happy with something else.
Avis's definition of standard elite SUV is any 7 or 8-passenger SUV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.