Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018: "What Car/Upgrade Will I get at Avis" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by Mackle
I thought that collecting from an airport location with President's Club meant that I got at least one upgrade though? Or by asking for continental cover (which I have to pay an extra £100ish for when I collect the vehicle) does that mean that I have forfeit the upgrade? (And maybe should have booked a lower group?)
Technically, I haven't seen anything in the T&Cs preventing the upgrade if continental cover is taken.
One class higher than what you booked, I have no idea what could be offered, sorry. I know the French fleet in the same class as the MB E-class includes Volvo S90, Audi A6, BMW 5-series and maybe a Jag XF, so expect probably something similar.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Juice77
  • Preferred
  • Luxury - 300 LTD or similar. Similar models include: Lincoln MKT, Lincoln MKX, Lincoln MKZ, Infiniti Q50, Volvo V60, Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XT5, Lincoln MKS, Hyundai Genesis, Cadillac CTS, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid and Lincoln MKC.
  • SAV
  • Weekly rental, picking up on a Monday afternoon
Anyone know what I can expect them to have for us when we get to Savannah? And what should I be hoping for?
Well, our flight got in an hour late, and I still had no car assigned. Went to the Preferred counter and found out why. They had no luxury cars available, apparently because it's "golf season." The lady behind the counter was doing her best to find us something (heard her ask for an Infiniti) with no luck. The best she had was an Edge, and we were just about to reluctantly agree to take that when a guy came up with a couple of keys. She was right on the ball and grabbed the key to a nice 300C for us. So we got what I expected, but was hoping we might get something a little different.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by ng1265
Technically, I haven't seen anything in the T&Cs preventing the upgrade if continental cover is taken.
One class higher than what you booked, I have no idea what could be offered, sorry. I know the French fleet in the same class as the MB E-class includes Volvo S90, Audi A6, BMW 5-series and maybe a Jag XF, so expect probably something similar.
The only XF that I have seen at T5 has been a supercharged XFS, which whilst I’d love to have that I think it’s a select model. I’m expecting to get an Audi, they used to have some A1 and A5 cars in S-line trim.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AC & HH
I ended up pulling the trigger on an intermediate SUV at SFO. What am I up for? What are the chances they'll have reasonable upgrades? Renting over easter weekend.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Mackle

The only XF that I have seen at T5 has been a supercharged XFS, which whilst I’d love to have that I think it’s a select model. I’m expecting to get an Audi, they used to have some A1 and A5 cars in S-line trim.
the XF is an Avis Prestige car, not Select. The A1 and A5 were Select cars.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:29 am

Alright, how bad is this going to get:

Preferred Plus
Premium
One way from PIT to NYC in late August, 1 week, drop off on labor day

I assume they're going to give me the most garbage full size they can find with 50k on the clock and call it "premium" ("upgrade? lol!") cause they don't want to lose a good car...tell me I'm wrong...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by miadeals

Preferred Plus
Premium

I assume they're going to give me the most garbage full size they can find with 50k on the clock and call it "premium" ("upgrade? lol!") cause they don't want to lose a good car...tell me I'm wrong...
My guess would be a Taurus or Impala with 30-40k miles on it.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:08 pm

Preferred Plus
Premium

I did a one way from pit to nyc last year on a lux Res. Originally got a a MKT then upgraded to a 3 series with 40k miles . Exchanged it for a MKZ then again finally for a Mazda 6. Wasn't arguing since the lux was cheaper actually anyways
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
I did a one way from pit to nyc last year on a lux Res. Originally got a a MKT then upgraded to a 3 series with 40k miles . Exchanged it for a MKZ then again finally for a Mazda 6. Wasn't arguing since the lux was cheaper actually anyways
Can I ask how much it was? Why did you exchange so many times, and was it through the app? Why the 6?

P is significantly less than L, I thought about it...but too much. i figured theyd give me a 300C instead of 300 and then Id just be angry. Full is even less still but Im scared aready...
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:22 pm

Can I ask how much it was? Why did you exchange so many times, and was it through the app? Why the 6?

P is significantly less than L, I thought about it...but too much. i figured theyd give me a 300C instead of 300 and then Id just be angry. Full is even less still but Im scared aready...

Had it for a month and it was under 800. The 3 series had some issue which I forgot what it was. The MKZ made this horrible noise going higher then 25 mph. Decided on the Mazda 6 because they offered at first a Ford Taurus which I hate and the Mazda 6 I wanted to try out anyways and had 6,000 miles on it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Had it for a month and it was under 800. The 3 series had some issue which I forgot what it was. The MKZ made this horrible noise going higher then 25 mph. Decided on the Mazda 6 because they offered at first a Ford Taurus which I hate and the Mazda 6 I wanted to try out anyways and had 6,000 miles on it.
Wow that's a great rate for a month LCAR and drop off in NYC. PCAR is $366 prepaid for a week! LCAR $507!

Hope you got a discount for the downgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:12 am

So, for my next rental...

PP
Miami Downtown
Full month April
Full Size SUV

Anything? I think the biggest problem is I got an amazing rate...
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:01 am

Wow that's a great rate for a month LCAR and drop off in NYC. PCAR is $366 prepaid for a week! LCAR $507!

Hope you got a discount for the downgrade.

I pre paid it and the full size cost and lux wasn't much different so I didn't want to bother.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Preferred Plus
Premium

Ok, back to this. If they assign me a garbage car (do they assign at PIT?) I can swap it out in the app for whatever is available according to the app and they can't stop me from taking that to NYC can they? IE can one-ways use the app to swap?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:52 pm

Ok, back to this. If they assign me a garbage car (do they assign at PIT?) I can swap it out in the app for whatever is available according to the app and they can't stop me from taking that to NYC can they? IE can one-ways use the app to swap?

Yes. They did offer me a Crysler 300c to swap. I didn't take it because well its more of a premium car then a luxury car. If I wanted a 300 I could of also went with national using an aisle mid size rezoning and saved money. Only went with avis because the rate was good for a luxury car.

I got an email right before I left JFK and said I was assigned a MKT. Landed and another email stating I now was assigned the 328i

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.