Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable rates - is this normal in the UK at Christmas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
Original Poster

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

I have been looking at renting a car whilst we will be in the UK for Christmas. Gatwick want £411 for a Fiat 500, £477 for a Fiesta - and that is with a discount code - without they are £632 and £740 respectively.

Is it normal for such tarrifs over Christmas ? I thought that demand would be quite low. I might add that I looked at Hertz and Eurocar and they were much the same.

I picked myself up off the floor and made other arrangements!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Makes sense, large numbers of British people who live abroad come home for Christmas, and the public transport shutdown means a preference for cars
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:36 pm

Christmas rates in the U.K. are always eye watering. London area especially so.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Christmas rates in the U.K. are always eye watering. London area especially so.
Actually, this time the worst of the bunch was LGW.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

I think we’re agreeing with different words. I consider all the London airports as London area!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have been looking at renting a car whilst we will be in the UK for Christmas. Gatwick want £411 for a Fiat 500, £477 for a Fiesta - and that is with a discount code - without they are £632 and £740 respectively.

Is it normal for such tarrifs over Christmas ? I thought that demand would be quite low. I might add that I looked at Hertz and Eurocar and they were much the same.

I picked myself up off the floor and made other arrangements!
I've been renting car over Christmas in the UK for well over 20 years and have never seen them as ridiculously high as this year. Have you tried Enterprise? It's the first time I've used them but I've managed to get hold of a rate which is less than half the price of Hertz/Avis/Europcar. Booked it a couple of months ago so rates may have gone up.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
I've been renting car over Christmas in the UK for well over 20 years and have never seen them as ridiculously high as this year. Have you tried Enterprise? It's the first time I've used them but I've managed to get hold of a rate which is less than half the price of Hertz/Avis/Europcar. Booked it a couple of months ago so rates may have gone up.
I was shocked. I have to have a car as there are no trains at all where I am going between Christmas Eve and the New Year. I have managed to get the price down to a reasonable amount by actually going to a different location altogether. It took a little thinking outside the box!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: too many
yup, Christmas period at UK airports is insane, the last time I rented there over that period, I got quoted £250 for 2 days with enterprise, for...a Ford Focus...
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by ng1265
yup, Christmas period at UK airports is insane, the last time I rented there over that period, I got quoted £250 for 2 days with enterprise, for...a Ford Focus...
Try renting a car in Manhattan on a summer weekend - $150/day or more isn't unusual.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:02 pm

We paid 393 GBP for almost 2 weeks at Gatwick over Christmas with Avis, but we booked significantly earlier in the year and had a good corporate code.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zappy312
We paid 393 GBP for almost 2 weeks at Gatwick over Christmas with Avis, but we booked significantly earlier in the year and had a good corporate code.
Actually I went through LGW last week.The counter staff there are usually most pleasant and friendly. I was asked if I was renting over Christmas

" Have you seen our rates?" said he "They're quite high"

"Quite high?" quoth I " I wanted to rent the car, not buy it"

He upgraded me!!

I would add that someone here has been most helpful about this - he knows who he is - but I am respecting his wishes as he will know. Thank you to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.