Wiki Posts
Search

Proof of Address Request by Avis UK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Proof of Address Request by Avis UK

Booked a car for my partner for Manchester City via BA.com like we've done many times before.

When he gets there, he gets asked for proof of address, like a bank statement or utility bill - something everyone carries with them on a holiday and despite the staff stating it's been some time since they'd seen him. They told him to trek 15 mins to the nearest branch of our bank only to be told there they don't print statements anymore. In the mean time I'd managed to log on to my their website via my mobile and download one and email it to him. They just looked at the screen, not even seeing what it was for or checking the date.

He queried it when first asked and the manager who was sitting nearby backed up the firsts claim.

This is what appears on the Avis.co.uk FAQ page:
What do I need to bring when I collect my hire vehicle?
You just need to bring your:

•Driving licence
•Credit card (if it's a high value vehicle, perhaps two for added security. Please check your booking)
•Proof of any discount (such as a frequent flyer or Avis Preferred card)
•Photo ID for international rentals (such as a passport or driving licence)

If you’re an Avis Preferred member, simply bring your membership card and your driving licence.

Lastly, if you booked online or over the phone, don’t forget to bring a copy of your email confirmation showing your unique booking reference.
He was doing a local rental, ie all in the UK. So I don't see why they suddenly imposed an extra condition without warning.

He's not back until the end of the week, so I plan to complain when he gets back. Where is the best place to complain to?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Do UK driver's licenses have an address on them?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sosafan
Do UK driver's licenses have an address on them?
Yes they do. And a photo.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Given the current UK terrorist threat I don't think their request is unreasonable.
However they really should stipulate this when booking or on the reservation confirmation.
Are you sure it's not on there as that's where the basis of the disagreement will revolve around to who's right.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:37 am

For customers who aren't enrolled in the companies "frequent renter" scheme, this is entirely normal across virtually all rental companies in the U.K.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:02 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have rented many times out of LGW and LHR and other than the credit card and licence, I have never been asked for proof of my address or anything else.

The last rental was out of LHR on 23rd October - so I think that this was a Manchester thing.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
I haven't shown anything at all (not even a driving license) or even signed anything for my last 2 Avis rentals in the UK. I've phoned ahead to confirm arrival time then just walked in and grabbed the key from the counter and driven away.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I strongly suspect that something behind the scenes triggered this. The DL has the photo & address so easy to match. If that was not accepted as proof of address, there might have been for good reason or an error, some record suggesting that OP's partner does not reside at the address on the DL or used for the reservation.

I am interested to know the specific reason stated at the counter as to why the DL was not, in this case, accepted as proof of address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.