Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to credit to airline program?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

How to credit to airline program?

I need to get some activity into my Iberia Plus account.
No AMEX MR and SPG doesn't transfer to IB.

Found a $16/day Avis rental via an OTA , but the OTA's form has no fields for entering airline FF number.

If I need to credit to Iberia Plus, do I just mention it during pick up? Or is it more like hotel programs where you have to sign up for Avis Preferred first and then change the earning preference from points to miles?

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
I need to get some activity into my Iberia Plus account.
No AMEX MR and SPG doesn't transfer to IB.

Found a $16/day Avis rental via an OTA , but the OTA's form has no fields for entering airline FF number.

If I need to credit to Iberia Plus, do I just mention it during pick up? Or is it more like hotel programs where you have to sign up for Avis Preferred first and then change the earning preference from points to miles?

Thanks.
Yes, you have sign up for Avis Preferred, and then book through Avis (not through some OTA). No you don't have to "change" your earnings preference, you just have to specify an airline partner (and your account number there) in each reservation. But that field for specifying the airline doesn't appear unless you're signed in to the Avis site as Avis Preferred, and that's why you have to sign up for Avis Preferred first and then book on the Avis site.

And that's just like pretty much all hotel programs today, where you can't earn anything if you book through an OTA, only if you book through the official program's website.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:27 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by sdsearch
[B]Yes, you have to...book through Avis (not through some OTA).

And that's just like pretty much all hotel programs today, where you can't earn anything if you book through an OTA, only if you book through the official program's website.
Actually, that isn't quite correct. The rental industry hasn't figured out how to block OTA bookings from receiving the exact same benefits as direct bookings. Booking through an OTA does not preclude you from earning points or miles or anything.

If you book through an OTA, you should be able to then proceed to modify your existing reservation on Avis.com and add the mileage number at that time. Or you can always provide it at the Avis Preferred counter.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Actually, that isn't quite correct. The rental industry hasn't figured out how to block OTA bookings from receiving the exact same benefits as direct bookings. Booking through an OTA does not preclude you from earning points or miles or anything.

If you book through an OTA, you should be able to then proceed to modify your existing reservation on Avis.com and add the mileage number at that time. Or you can always provide it at the Avis Preferred counter.
It's been reported in this forum many times in the past year or two that you have to be logged into your Preferred account to be able to get a field on avis.com (or sister program Budget's site) to enter a mileage number. See, for example:
Meanwhile, do bookings through an airline's "vacation" package work differently than bookings through an OTA? I know I once booked an Avis reservation through AA Vacations, and Avis told me I could not add my Preferred account to it because AA had already entered an account number of their own. Is that not going to happen at any OTA?
Old May 1, 2017, 4:58 pm

Meanwhile, do bookings through an airline's "vacation" package work differently than bookings through an OTA? I know I once booked an Avis reservation through AA Vacations, and Avis told me I could not add my Preferred account to it because AA had already entered an account number of their own. Is that not going to happen at any OTA?
Vacation packages (and other prepaid rentals like Priceline, Hotwire, Chase UR, etc) are different than OTA bookings. With prepaids, you often can't modify them at all, and many times the price and/or other details of the reservation isn't visible on the rental company's website. With non-prepaid OTA bookings, the reservation can be modified on most rental company websites (Enterprise family excluded but you can call to edit).
Old May 2, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
With non-prepaid OTA bookings, the reservation can be modified on most rental company websites (Enterprise family excluded but you can call to edit).
Can you add your Wizard number (ie, the number of your Avis Preferred account) to a non-prepaid OTA booking somehow on avis.com? If so, how?
Old May 2, 2017, 4:55 pm

Can you add your Wizard number (ie, the number of your Avis Preferred account) to a non-prepaid OTA booking somehow on avis.com? If so, how?
No, it has to be added at the time the OTA booking is originally made.

(You can call Avis and try to add it, but they'll rebook your reservation at the current going rate, and you'll get a new confirmation number. So that's basically no different than just booking a new one with your Preferred number.)

Last edited by AutoSlash; May 2, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.