Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IceTrojan
This thread is to provide data points for upgrades at Avis. If you are wondering or would like speculation on what upgrades will be given at a particular location, please visit this thread:
The "2016: What upgrade will I get at Avis?" thread

Please use this format when posting, to keep it clean:

Booked:
Assigned:
Received: (if it differs from the assigned vehicle)

Any other comments.
Print Wikipost

2016-2017: List Your Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:38 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pivot_chart
Things I noted when walking out and back from the 300 that weren't below a premium: '17 XC60, X5, X3, couple of XTS, couple of MKZs, Camaro SS, Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Lacrosse.
When I've seen crap like that, I try to make a booking on my phone. Take screenshots if it shows up rates are available and then send to Avis as a complaint. The local stations can't pull the crap of "no upgrades" to Pres/Chm. Avis doesn't seem to care if franchise locations do this, but I've had good experiences complaining abt corporate locations.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: too many
Booked: Economy
Assigned: renault Megane sport Auto (2-class upgrade)

Booked: Standard
Assigned: Renault Talisman (no upgrade)

Booked: Standard
Assigned: Qashquai (one class up)

Booked: group C
Assigned: Fiat 500X with GPS
crappy car, 40k km and various messages on the dashboard, but it was way cheaper than the other rental companies

I rented a couple of vans at LHR as well, but the upgrades do not apply to van rentals, though you get Avios for them.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Full
Assigned: VW Passat
Received: Old and Tired Ford Taurus Limited

Usually MCO is really good to me, but man they were off their game this trip. I was assigned a Passat and swung by the Preferred desk to ask if they had any upgrades available. At first, the agent tried to argue the Passat *was* an upgrade, until I pointed out that I already booked a Full.

After much sighing and typing, she gave me a beat-up Taurus with 26,000 miles on the clock. In retrospect, I should have just stuck with the Passat.

Note this was on a Tuesday where they appeared to have a full lot...so who knows what the deal was.

Last edited by rflor; Nov 6, 2017 at 9:03 am Reason: More Info.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: too many
Booked: group P (estate, Volvo V60 or similar)
Assigned: Renault Megane estate (same, highest group at the location)
Happy with the car, though it's the first time since 2014 (where Avis NTE had a computer meltdown) that I had a manual contract.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Subaru Impreza
Received: Volvo XC90

DTW ops were a mess, they couldn't process the volume of returns vs pickups; my assigned car disappeared (yay) from the app, all the PP assignments disappeared off the board, and after queueing for a few was assigned a nice new XC90 (albeit with a "check engine" light on the dash, whatever).

DTW in my experience is hit or miss with upgrades.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Booked: Intermediate
Assigned: Subaru Impreza

DTW ops were a mess, they couldn't process the volume of returns vs pickups.
The messy OPS seems on par for DTW. But sweet upgrade. I think I've driven everything currently in the Avis fleet, except the new Vette, and the XC90 is my favorite vehicle. Amazing ride, plenty of oomph when in dynamic mode, decent fuel economy if you don't push it, lots of space and great features. Overall, a great vehicle. If only the key fob were smaller or had larger buttons and remote start in cold climates.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by rflor
Assigned: VW Passat
Received: Old and Tired Ford Taurus Limited

Note this was on a Tuesday where they appeared to have a full lot...so who knows what the deal was.
Did you check the app to see if it offered anything?

Rasheed
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:33 am

Assigned: Ford Flex
Received: Chevy Impala with 33K miles

I really didn't want the Flex, as it's way too big for me, but getting assigned an Impala with 33K miles was also a bummer. I was told that this was all they had unless I wanted to wait an hour or two...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by rasheed
Did you check the app to see if it offered anything?
No, which I need to get better at. I've looked at the app before my flight takes off, but that's too early. Once I land, I've been too focused on getting to the car to check the app again.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The messy OPS seems on par for DTW. But sweet upgrade. I think I've driven everything currently in the Avis fleet, except the new Vette, and the XC90 is my favorite vehicle. Amazing ride, plenty of oomph when in dynamic mode, decent fuel economy if you don't push it, lots of space and great features. Overall, a great vehicle. If only the key fob were smaller or had larger buttons and remote start in cold climates.
I ended up driving it to Louisville and back over the weekend. I *do* like this car but yeah remote start, heated steering would be nice. Fuel economy was poor IMO at around 21mpg and I wasn't driving it that hard. You can definitely tell that there's a stressed-out four-pot underhood when pressed and given the price of this car that's not a positive. But nobody is buying these for the track or mountain road... I'll definitely take another one when offered.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:17 am

Booked: compact
Assigned: Mustang convertible
Received: Nissan Versa

It was a nice surprise to get upgraded to the Mustang but I needed trunk space and 4 seats so I asked if they had anything else. They said they only had mini vans which I hate. Ended up with a versa and wasn't going to complain since it ended up being the car class o reserved and didnt need it much.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: Hyundai Tucson (SUV)
Received: BMW 330i xDrive

The BMW and several others (Grand Cherokee, some other Hyundai) were no charge choices in the App. First time using it.. very cool!

Ron.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: Hyundai Tucson (SUV)
Received: BMW 330i xDrive

The BMW and several others (Grand Cherokee, some other Hyundai) were no charge choices in the App. First time using it.. very cool!

Ron.
Wow, that's awesome!! I wouldn't expect this treatment regularly. Was the lot bare when you showed up or were you going 1-way?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Wow, that's awesome!! I wouldn't expect this treatment regularly. Was the lot bare when you showed up or were you going 1-way?
It was a weekend rental, return to same location. A lot of cars on the lot. Doing it again on Friday, see what happens.

Ron.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:26 am

Booked: G
Assigned: Buick something
Received: VOLVO S90

Booked: G
Assigned: nothing because of old CC in profile

Booked: E
Assigned: Chevrolet Impala
Received: Chrysler 300 (only after pointing out that there are guaranteed upgrades)

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Dec 5, 2017 at 7:59 am Reason: merge multiple, consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.