Search

2012 Lincoln MKT Ride Report/Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

2012 Lincoln MKT Ride Report/Review

http://carrentingreviews.com/2012/06...2-lincoln-mkt/

PROS:

- Very comfortable 2nd row passenger seating position even with base bench seats
- Generous headroom for **1st and 2nd row passengers even with Vista roof.
- Suspension surprisingly firm, very quiet cabin
- Last generation Lincoln Sync works much better than even MyLincolnTouch 2.0; has redundant physical buttons, and touchscreen more responsive than Chrysler’s UConnect.
- Well equipped with many standard features

CONS:

- The Vista roof is fixed and cannot be opened on the standard trim level
- Questionable plastic on center stack
- Baleen whale like grille, poor fuel economy
- Steering very light, engine barely adequate

CONCLUSION: Has the face only a mother could love, but it’s the interior that counts!

Last edited by drzoidberg; Jun 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Great review, thanks!

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
PROS:
Generous headroom for all even with Vista roof.
Did you try to sit in the 3rd row? I'm 6' tall and have to turn my neck down significantly to fit. It wasn't comfortable for more than 2 seconds. For kids, it's fine; otherwise, I don't see how it would work for any trips. I was very shocked they sloped the roof line this much and killed the ability to keeep "normal" adults in the 3rd row when not-so-decked-out-corporate-sister (Flex) is great in the 3rd row.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Great review, thanks!

Did you try to sit in the 3rd row? I'm 6' tall and have to turn my neck down significantly to fit. It wasn't comfortable for more than 2 seconds. For kids, it's fine; otherwise, I don't see how it would work for any trips. I was very shocked they sloped the roof line this much and killed the ability to keeep "normal" adults in the 3rd row when not-so-decked-out-corporate-sister (Flex) is great in the 3rd row.
Thanks, added an asterisk. Didn't get to sit in the 3rd row due to storing luggage there, but generally speaking, 3rd row is usually best for kids only. Even with Explorer, was only able to seat two 5'8" adults for a short trip in the 3rd row seat

Any idea what the MKT2 nomenclature refers to? No other options on mine, it was a base MKT. Wondering if Avis offers Ecoboosted varieties?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:46 am

Any idea what the MKT2 nomenclature refers to? No other options on mine, it was a base MKT. Wondering if Avis offers Ecoboosted varieties?
I'd guess 2 wheel drive. I've seen a lot of vehicles that have xxx4 when they are 4x4 or AWD. I haven't paid attention lately so I could be wrong.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I had a MKT2 upgrade at LAX and I liked it a lot. Bluetooth phone pairing, USB, and best of all butt warmers and coolers! I've never had butt coolers in a car before and it was nice to have in LA. The one I rented had plenty of power too.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I had a MKT2 upgrade at LAX and I liked it a lot. Bluetooth phone pairing, USB, and best of all butt warmers and coolers! I've never had butt coolers in a car before and it was nice to have in LA. The one I rented had plenty of power too.
I've had the "seat" coolers a few times. I think it is a neat feature, but the first time, it felt like I'd wet myself until I got used to it. It's definitely weird at first. Also, they have a fan that can be annoyingly loud in a car as quiet as some of the new ones. Not a deal breaker, but just something that take away from it a bit.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:09 am
Original Poster

I've had the "seat" coolers a few times. I think it is a neat feature, but the first time, it felt like I'd wet myself until I got used to it. It's definitely weird at first. Also, they have a fan that can be annoyingly loud in a car as quiet as some of the new ones. Not a deal breaker, but just something that take away from it a bit.
The cooled seats are standard on all MKTs, and on the MKS too I think.

The fan is loud! I had my cooled seats on, and was wondering what the loud noise was. Ah, the price of keeping my butt comfy.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I never heard the fan! Maybe because I was streaming loud music from my iPhone through the speakers.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:06 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Talking Fair Enough...

I seem to get these about every fifth or sixth rental. No complaints, seems like a good vehicle to me :-)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:09 pm

Had another yesterday/today and forgot a con before: LOTS of torque steer. I still love the vehicle but it's crazy to have that much pull...
Old Jun 14, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Had another yesterday/today and forgot a con before: LOTS of torque steer. I still love the vehicle but it's crazy to have that much pull...
Did you have the base MKT or EcoBoosted variety?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:14 am

Did you have the base MKT or EcoBoosted variety?
It was the base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.