FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Got letter in mail saying no longer Presidents Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1330770-got-letter-mail-saying-no-longer-presidents-club.html)

UAzip Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm

Got letter in mail saying no longer Presidents Club

because I no longer have CO Pres Plus card. Thing is, I still DO have CO Pres Plus card. Never stopped having it. They sent a hard-copy letter and provided no contact info beyond that on the letterhead (not toll-free) and no email address. Called the Avis Presidents Club number from my card and of course the person who would help is gone for the weekend....have to call them back Monday. Meanwhile the bookings I was going to do tonight can probably be booked with someone else or something. Why would they do this? Who screwed up--CO or Avis?

I think it's poor form to not say "if this is in error or if you have questions, please call XXX-XXX-XXXX." The letter just said that they were told I'm no longer Presidents Club, that's how it is, you are now Avis First Preferred and your materials will come soon. No mention about what to do if they are wrong!

Did anyone else get this letter?

dayone Mar 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Perhaps related to Chase's migration to the new United Explorer Club?

UAzip Mar 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Could be Chase instead of Continental/United...UACO did announce this week that the Presidential Plus card will continue but only for existing cardholders (no new accounts) but that the new United Club Card would also have Avis benefits (who knows if that means Avis Presidents Club too like the previous card). The MileagePlus Explorer card that they are batting everyone over the head with ("You're In" is even plastered on the escalator handrails at ORD) doesn't come with any Avis benefits though.

sdsearch Mar 31, 2012 9:35 am

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 18305389)
Who screwed up--CO or Avis?

Haven't you noticed??? :confused: CO doesn't exist any more!

You may physically have a CO Pres Plus card, but if you log into you Chase account you'll see it doesn't think it's a CO card any more. It shows a UA logo, doesn't it???

I'm not talking about the card nickname, which is the name you can give a card on the Chase site. That'll still say whatever you named it, which might include CO if you nicknamed it that way. I'm talking about the logo it displays for cards. Everyone in the Credit Card forum who's replied has confirmed the CO cards which were not cancelled in time have since early March (the CO->UA switchover date) been showing as UA cards online.

Chase is simply saving money but not requiring a new physical card. So your physical card continues to say CO of course. But behind the scenes, they consider it a UA card now.

WIRunner Mar 31, 2012 10:21 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 18308703)

You may physically have a CO Pres Plus card, but if you log into you Chase account you'll see it doesn't think it's a CO card any more. It shows a UA logo, doesn't it???

I'm not talking about the card nickname, which is the name you can give a card on the Chase site. That'll still say whatever you named it, which might include CO if you nicknamed it that way. I'm talking about the logo it displays for cards. Everyone in the Credit Card forum who's replied has confirmed the CO cards which were not cancelled in time have since early March (the CO->UA switchover date) been showing as UA cards online.

Chase is simply saving money but not requiring a new physical card. So your physical card continues to say CO of course. But behind the scenes, they consider it a UA card now.

The debate could go on ad nauseum about this. I will say this though, having the PCMC the logo on my account in chase shows a CO logo. This being the fact that UA adopted the CO livelry. The UA card I had

There's two things that happened.
Avis thought that you didn't have the card any more for an error on their end.
Chase didn't report to Avis that you still had the card.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in your boat right now.

steve64 Mar 31, 2012 2:15 pm

That's all highly irrelevant.
Those of us that have the "old" CO Pres Plus card have been notified that the name of the card is changing to United Mileage Plus Pres Plus (not to be confused with the "old" UA Mileage Plus).
The airline changed its name so the card changed their name also. But the card product is the same. The benefits of that card shouldn't be changed without proper notice.

To the OP...
My Pres Plus card recently renewed and I do remember seeing something from Avis recently welcoming me to another year of Avis Presidents. So unless it's changed very recently, the benefits is still there.

Steve

sdsearch Apr 1, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by steve64 (Post 18310063)
That's all highly irrelevant.
Those of us that have the "old" CO Pres Plus card have been notified that the name of the card is changing to United Mileage Plus Pres Plus (not to be confused with the "old" UA Mileage Plus).
The airline changed its name so the card changed their name also. But the card product is the same. The benefits of that card shouldn't be changed without proper notice.

It's not rrelevant. Go visit the UA forum and sample some of the activity there. There's now talk of extra sweeps to happen April 1 or April 15 or whever to fix weeks-old posting problems. There's endless threads about this not working and that not working.

The points is, lots of things related to the UA/CO merger are temporarily broken. Maybe they shouldn't be, but it's basically a UA/CO merger issue as I see it.

It'll presumably get sorted out eventually, but just as I have to wait weeks or months extra for my UA miles to show up during this phase, people who have Avis Chairman solely through this card may have to wiat until this part of the UA/CO merger mess (and the adjoining related mess at Chase) is sorted out.

I suspect it's a timing glitch. Some people's info is getting to Avis in onder (new card benefits updated before old card benefits lost), but other people's info is getting to Avis out of order (old card benefits lost before new card benefits updated).

WIRunner Apr 1, 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 18314685)
It's not rrelevant. Go visit the UA forum and sample some of the activity there. There's now talk of extra sweeps to happen April 1 or April 15 or whever to fix weeks-old posting problems. There's endless threads about this not working and that not working.

The points is, lots of things related to the UA/CO merger are temporarily broken. Maybe they shouldn't be, but it's basically a UA/CO merger issue as I see it.

It'll presumably get sorted out eventually, but just as I have to wait weeks or months extra for my UA miles to show up during this phase, people who have Avis Chairman solely through this card may have to wiat until this part of the UA/CO merger mess (and the adjoining related mess at Chase) is sorted out.

I suspect it's a timing glitch. Some people's info is getting to Avis in onder (new card benefits updated before old card benefits lost), but other people's info is getting to Avis out of order (old card benefits lost before new card benefits updated).

I think that it would have more to do with Chase than UA. Since the middleman is essentially Chase since they are the issuer for the card. The current mess for flights and flights posting to the loyalty programme honestly hasn't affected a whole lot. (it is annoying beyond belief, and a bit of a nightmare for things on UA's side). But the fact that this happening would have no effect on Avis.

UAzip Apr 11, 2012 11:23 am

The letter from Avis said "Continental", not United. From an email from them the other day in the continuing saga to straighten this out, here is a sentence: "Unfortunately, our Continental Presidential Plus is handled out of our Virginia Beach department." Avis continues to refer to Continental. For all I know, they compared records or whatever before March 3 when it was still Continental. The CO vs. UA naming thing is somewhat pedantic of a point to make when Avis itself is using the name Continental in the continuing correspondence.

I'm on hold....again.....trying to get it taken care of. They evidently can't do it by email, fax, telex, or pony express. Have to talk to someone between 9 and 5 and I keep managing to call (when I am able to make a call during those hours) when that person is away from their desk!

Going to just start booking with someone else. National comped Executive Elite for having Avis Presidents Club and I may just go with them for the local as well as airport rentals!