FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Signing Up For Avis Frequent Rental Program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1270520-signing-up-avis-frequent-rental-program.html)

Small Shiny Objects Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Signing Up For Avis Frequent Rental Program

I have really used Avis in the past due to always finding less expensive rates elsewhere, so I have never signed up for their frequent rental program.

I just started working for a new employer that has Avis as one of their preferred car rental agencies, so it looks like I will be using them a lot.

I just made my first reservation tonight with Avis through American Express' AXIOM website. I would like to start earning points or credits for my Avis rentals, but am not sure the best way to sign up with them.

If there is a better way (referral or special link to a promotion) of signing up than just going to their website then please let me know.

Thanks

bkafrick Oct 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Small Shiny Objects (Post 17296209)
I have really used Avis in the past due to always finding less expensive rates elsewhere, so I have never signed up for their frequent rental program.

I just started working for a new employer that has Avis as one of their preferred car rental agencies, so it looks like I will be using them a lot.

I just made my first reservation tonight with Avis through American Express' AXIOM website. I would like to start earning points or credits for my Avis rentals, but am not sure the best way to sign up with them.

If there is a better way (referral or special link to a promotion) of signing up than just going to their website then please let me know.

Thanks

Forget about AVIS poitns or credits, and just put your frequent flyer number of your favorite airline in and take the miles. Avis points/credits suck.

Bloomsbury Oct 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Best thing to do is look around at the programs you currently belong to and see if Avis is a partner. For me, I signed up via British Airways Executive Club and got some bonus miles for joining, plus an Avis upgrade voucher to use on my first booking. You can get that at AvisBA.com.

Generally you don't get much just for joining though, but you'll get rewarded the more you use them. I frequently get offers directly from Avis as well as BA & Amex for Avis rentals.

stiwi Oct 26, 2011 10:36 am

In order to earn BA miles do you need to provide their AWD number on Avis website? While providing their AWD number for BAEC Silver, I get rates expressed in GBP which are much more expensive then without entering anything there.

I neither want to book through AvisBA.com because of much more expensive rates and lack of adding any options like gps, insurances etc.

Bloomsbury Oct 28, 2011 6:25 am

You should be able to book on any Avis website to get BA miles. There's normally the option to add your FF number on the final page of the booking process. If not, just show your card at the desk and get them to add it to your reservation.

As far as the BA AWD number goes, you (may) only have to use that if you want to get bonus miles/free something as part of a special promotion or if you want to add the free second driver, but you don't need it to get your standard booking miles. Whether Avis being able to identify that you're a Gold or Silver will lead to other benefits, who knows!

If there is a special BA + Avis promo you want to use, read the terms & conditions carefully to see what Avis sites it applies to and whether you need the AWD number.

Panamajon513 Oct 28, 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by bkafrick (Post 17309460)
Forget about AVIS poitns or credits, and just put your frequent flyer number of your favorite airline in and take the miles. Avis points/credits suck.

And it's even cheaper to book AVIS through the airline's website. AA.com has good deals on Avis cars, both price-wise and with respect to FF mileage, too.

stiwi Oct 28, 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Bloomsbury (Post 17350302)
You should be able to book on any Avis website to get BA miles. There's normally the option to add your FF number on the final page of the booking process. If not, just show your card at the desk and get them to add it to your reservation.

As far as the BA AWD number goes, you (may) only have to use that if you want to get bonus miles/free something as part of a special promotion or if you want to add the free second driver, but you don't need it to get your standard booking miles. Whether Avis being able to identify that you're a Gold or Silver will lead to other benefits, who knows!

If there is a special BA + Avis promo you want to use, read the terms & conditions carefully to see what Avis sites it applies to and whether you need the AWD number.

Are you sure about this? Isn't it that if you want to earn BA miles (3 mile for £1 spent) you have to book through BA AWD code?

Avis allows to provide 2 partners when finalizing booking, both airline and hotel. How they are going to distinguish if I want to earn pts for my HHonors or BAEC accounts?

Bloomsbury Oct 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by stiwi (Post 17351314)
Are you sure about this? Isn't it that if you want to earn BA miles (3 mile for £1 spent) you have to book through BA AWD code?

Avis allows to provide 2 partners when finalizing booking, both airline and hotel. How they are going to distinguish if I want to earn pts for my HHonors or BAEC accounts?

Not sure about that to be honest. I never put my hotel as they have no business knowing it. I enter flight details if they're relevant because it helps Avis when there are flight delays (otherwise they might give away your car if they think you're a no-show). I often book from non-airport locations, so in that case I don't enter any flight or hotel details.

I've never had to chase up BA miles, Avis seem pretty good at processing them, probably because BA sends them so much custom. I'd say use the BA AWD codes if it's the best price you've been quoted by Avis, as then they can see your status and you're more likely to get an upgrade/good car. The BA AWD always seems to give unlimited miles too and the ability to get the 'pay now' rate at as 'pay later' instead.

Recently, I've been renting a lot in the US and have been using the 15% USA discount AWD on the Avis.com website offers page + a coupon code and my BA miles have been posting fine, including the rent 4 times in a year bonus.