Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of extra charges in Cyprus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Beware of extra charges in Cyprus

I pre-booked a car via Preferred and received and paid a "PAY NOW" price. Having used Avis Larnaca before, I was aware of the refueling charge, which the customer cannot influence by fueling up before return. So you are stuck with the price Avis charge. What I wasn't aware of was the "Extra" VAT, in my case over €40. The PAY NOW t&c, AVIS website and voucher all say they incl local tax and VAT.

Customer Services were unhelpful with the usual "there you have it" attitude.

So just note. The PAY NOW price is not the final price, by a long chalk!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Similar problems exist in other countries as well including Australia. Avis just lost a big case with the ACCC and needs to refund money to many renters.

In your case, I would just give this to a Small Claims Court and get your money incl. the re-fueling charge back.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Similar problems exist in other countries as well including Australia. Avis just lost a big case with the ACCC and needs to refund money to many renters.

In your case, I would just give this to a Small Claims Court and get your money incl. the re-fueling charge back.
I've just received confirmation from AVIS that they charge an additional government tax of €18+tax at the site which is not included in the "local taxes or VAT" shown on the pre-paid voucher. Why this cannot be added to the original price is beyond me as it's a tax. It's not beyond the wit of man to work out how to include it.

And also by deduction from the itemized bill, fuel is charged at nearly 50% more than pump price. Profiteering or what?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.