Wiki Posts
Search

chairmens club upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:18 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Post chairmens club upgrade

as a chairmens club when you reserve a mid size car what is the best car you get for a upgrade. can you ask for a particular type of car.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Chairman's Club (not chairmens) is a very great program and it's covered in multiple threads here. Try use the search - it doesn't bite you! But yes, when renting mid size, or greater, they should technically give you the best car on the lot.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

There use to be a few cars that were not technically allowed to be upgraded into (Hummer H3, Cadillac CTS, if I remember correctly). However, I've had a few CTSs and others have had H3s, so I don't think there's much that's off-limits anymore (at least in the US & Canada). I even had a new Camaro recently when I booked mid-size.

If you call the Chairman's Desk or the location (of larger/airport lots) a day or two before your flight, they'll note your reservation and usually make it happen. If you're renting from a small location, I've been told to give them at least 3 days for specific requests because they will bring in a car for me (at least my 2 local stations have done it)!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Hummers stopped being off-limits, at least in practice, back when gas started approaching $4. Haven't asked recently, though. "Best car on the lot" still does exclude some of the specialty vehicles, no Corvette Convertible for me sadly
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: Avis Chairmans, National Executive, Spirit Elite, Virgin Silver, United Premier
An email I received from Avis about two weeks ago when I tried requesting a Van in the comments section of my reservation (emphasis mine):

The reservation for (location) has a request for a 12 passenger van, upgrades do not apply to the 12 passenger vans you have to reserve them and pay the rate on the vans, upgrades apply to midsize through luxury size cars based on availability.

Thank You

AVIS CHAIRMAN'S DESK
This seems to imply a new "downgrade" to the CHM benefits (At least the "market rate gas" is still around...)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerman770
An email I received from Avis about two weeks ago when I tried requesting a Van in the comments section of my reservation (emphasis mine):

The reservation for (location) has a request for a 12 passenger van, upgrades do not apply to the 12 passenger vans you have to reserve them and pay the rate on the vans, upgrades apply to midsize through luxury size cars based on availability.

Thank You

AVIS CHAIRMAN'S DESK
This seems to imply a new "downgrade" to the CHM benefits (At least the "market rate gas" is still around...)
I've been doing a lot of landscaping around my place this spring & burned a bunch of free weekend coupons in the process. I'd make the reservation & on Wednesday I'd call my local office asking for a pick-up truck (knowing full well that they only stock about 6-8 cars; no trucks & you're lucky to ever see a premium or SUV). They always called the regional "fleet manager" and had me a truck waiting on Saturday morning! So it might be station dependent.

As for the gas rate: It only seems to be in larger airports. I've seen the usually high gas price ($8ish per gallon) at local stations and small airports. I asked about the "market price" for gas a few times & they were totally confused by it.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
As for the gas rate: It only seems to be in larger airports. I've seen the usually high gas price ($8ish per gallon) at local stations and small airports. I asked about the "market price" for gas a few times & they were totally confused by it.
It's applied for me across the borad regardless of station, not something anyone 'knows about' just something that prints on the contract.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by flyerman770

That's not a downgrade. It has been that way the whole time. Locations often choose to upgrade you beyond the published benefits. The problem is that people get accustomed to stations going beyond the published benefits, and begin to feel entitled to the treatment.

I usually get any car on the lot (Hummers, CTS/STS/DTS, Saab, Camero), but sometimes they say they can't do it. I don't put up a fight. The only car that I've been told no-way to was the vette.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by gleff
It's applied for me across the borad regardless of station, not something anyone 'knows about' just something that prints on the contract.
I only asked about it at the smaller stations when it didn't print on my contract, as it normally does. It seems odd to to me that it's done in some locations but not all.

Hummers stopped being off-limits, at least in practice, back when gas started approaching $4. Haven't asked recently, though. "Best car on the lot" still does exclude some of the specialty vehicles, no Corvette Convertible for me sadly
What have Chairman (I know, plural is ChairmEn, but wanted to keep the usual spelling in case anyone searches) on here been "denied", as for upgrades? Today was my first ever Chairman denial. I had a reservation at IAH for a W and asked for either a Camaro or M35 (I didn't even bother wasting my time asking for the 'vette that they had on-site). The lady downstairs told me it's $189/day for those, no exceptions or upgrades. After being pressed, she called the manager who said the city mgr won't allow upgrades to X class. In chatting with him, he was VERY surprised that I've received both Infinitis and Camaros recently as upgrades from mid-size.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In chatting with him, he was VERY surprised that I've received both Infinitis and Camaros recently as upgrades from mid-size.
These sorts of cars were definitely on a 'do not upgrade list' that was published a couple of years ago, but don't know current rules in this regard. I remember the Volvo and Hummer being on that list, but as observed above that loosened up a great deal with the Hummer when people stopped wanting those due to expensive gas.

I don't usually rent at stations that have anything nicer than Cadillacs, the one time I walked past a Corvette Convertible I joked about being upgraded into it and the CSR smiled back as she walked me to my already assigned vehicle..
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:22 pm

In chatting with him, he was VERY surprised that I've received both Infinitis and Camaros recently as upgrades from mid-size.
These sorts of cars were definitely on a 'do not upgrade list' that was published a couple of years ago, but don't know current rules in this regard.

I don't usually rent at stations that have anything nicer than Cadillacs
Twice at EWR, I asked for an Infiniti and was told that the manager would have to approve it. They called and, both times, the manager had an Infiniti ready for me within 2 minutes. As for the Camaro; I had a reservation for a mid-size last week at a smaller eastern airport & called the CHM desk the day before to request the Camaro. He gave me no hassles about the note and when I got to the airport, they had two there and let me pick which one I wanted. I've called the CHM desk before and asked for SUVs and been told that it's only "to the best car on the lot" but would note my reservation anyway. Stations have had no problem giving me SUVs.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Twice at EWR, I asked for an Infiniti and was told that the manager would have to approve it. They called and, both times, the manager had an Infiniti ready for me within 2 minutes. As for the Camaro; I had a reservation for a mid-size last week at a smaller eastern airport & called the CHM desk the day before to request the Camaro. He gave me no hassles about the note and when I got to the airport, they had two there and let me pick which one I wanted. I've called the CHM desk before and asked for SUVs and been told that it's only "to the best car on the lot" but would note my reservation anyway. Stations have had no problem giving me SUVs.
That's the thing I love about the CHM program is its flexibility, personally. Not that I "need" to drive an Infiniti when I travel, per se (I get those kicks out of my personal vehicles at home - plus, an M35 isn't a head-turning vehicle anyway, thus not worth the loss of sleep), rather I've found the service to be stellar. If I need an SUV for camping - they'll me a new Ford Expedition, no problem. If I need to haul clients - I get good looking STS or DTS. If I need a good highway cruiser that is good on gas and is roomy, then I'd go with a low-mileage V6 Buick Lucerne with XM. All at paying for a Group C, treating the agents nicely, and a quick call to the local station beforehand (or the CHM desk) should do it.

If people are looking to Avis to drive flashy vehicles, it's neither the company nor at times, the proper place to do it (on a Monday morning at ORD, there are hundreds of us that have to get into cars, and possibily millions of dollars worth of business waiting between everyone). While it's great to get a nice, low-mileage car, Avis is serving me well because of their service, attention to detail, and most of all, flexibility. The difference between a $45k STS-V8 and a $40k M35 is usually immaterial. Especially if you're not paying for it to begin with.

Now if they did 'Vettes, that would be a different story!!! But I wouldn't expect to pay $30 for a midsize and get upgraded into a 'Vette ... not only for business reasons, but you don't have to be a city manager to know it doesn't make any sense.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:41 pm

I don't get this anywhere. It's something that's negotiated by company (is what I was told).
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviators99
I don't get this anywhere. It's something that's negotiated by company (is what I was told).
This wasn't in my company deal, it's something that changed in my account when I was elevated to CHM. Only the one other CHM in my company has it.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aviators99
This wasn't in my company deal, it's something that changed in my account when I was elevated to CHM. Only the one other CHM in my company has it.
Me too! I get it on any station, on any rate, and using any AWD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.