Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis is screwing customers on this <75 miles fuel charge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2021, 5:21 am

When a company says they treat their customers good??

Originally Posted by Happy
At one point the charge was a lot more than $10 - I think it is $15 or $16, when oil was at $140 last summer.

There are notice on the o....er, behind the desk, to inform customers of such charge if you cannot produce a receipt to show you have filled up the tank.

We always have receipt in hand and tell the lot attendant so. Never have been charged the fee. It used to be you have to do it at the counter, but I think they find a way to work around it and as long as the attendant is satisfied with your claim, he can override the system to get rid of the surcharge.

It is a fair practice unless you intend to scam the rental car company or the next customer.
I understand that you yourself have never been charged the fee, but look at the last line you wrote.. it’s a fair practice, if people are aware, it doesn’t mean that they’re scamming anyone. I am giving you this out of personal experience unfortunately and it wasn’t a 75 hour rental. I have four kids, I am disabled and I try to work part time doing gig work when I can. I rented a car through Avis on a one-way drop from Florida to Connecticut. I was so excited because I got supposedly three different discounts, one because I had Avis preferred the other from Amazon prime in the other because when I do to get to work I deliver for Uber and they also have a discounted rate. They told me the total will be $647 if I paid upfront, which I did..That included everything, with all the chaos of being sick with mold poisoning having five surgeries for kids and everything else going on at the time, I had read something about Avis preferred customers picking up at the airport and if they didn’t have time to fill up the car when they dropped off, they will just have to pay the amount it would cost Avis to fill it.Not to mention there was a gas station right there, and this is definitely not in the days of expensive gas but They didn’t have my rental and I ended up with the Yukon because there was nothing smaller. That takes 93 premium gas. I returned the car and I had almost a half a tank, if you write back to this post I will show you the picture of the receipt, I was charged $297 for gas. Do you think the $10 is fair I’m gonna tell you what that $10 is really quick in case you don’t know and this is for everybody, I went on my calculator, the Yukon takes 26 gallons of gas, so even if I hightailed up to four dollars a gallon it still doesn’t come out to 100. I called them frantic because we have no money at all like I said I’m on disability with a fixed income and right now I can’t do anything due to COPD as well I might autoimmune disorder and Covid. I asked them if it was a mistake, they told me that if you don’t return the car with a full tank you are automatically charged for a full tank at 999 a gallon which might as well say $10 a gallon. The only person that is scheming and getting over his them. I was floored, when I picked my job off the floor, I said why is the gas 999 that was the only question that one popped out of my mouth. She stayed silent for about 10 seconds, asked me is there anything else I can help you with today? Then proceeded to say thank you for using Avis have a good day and hung up I definitely was not trying to get over and Avis or the next person renting that car all I was thinking about when I was returning it was that there was no one to give me a ride back to my house from the rental place, and they took an extra $250 hold when I rented it even after paying in full so I had no money for an Uber.. I explained this to them by the way and I told him everything that was going on, I’ve been told three times now to have a good day. Charging any customer 999 or $10 a gallon is out right disgusting especially if you’re charging it to the people that have the least money in the world at this point especially while there’s a pandemic. Not to mention when you pride yourself on customer service and going out of your way for your customers. I never got loud or obnoxious with anyone, because I know they didn’t personally feel it, I still haven’t even gotten to the place that I need to to fix it. I’ve been shuffled around a lot, also I got pulled over three times when we got off the exit because the car was not registered one of the places was in Georgia who said it didn’t matter if it was a rental because in that state it’s whoever is driving the car‘s responsibility and I got an actual ticket the other two were mornings. With everything that’s going on in the world right now, my kids were got your file! Driving from Florida to Connecticut, we saw two huge confederate flags in Florida on flagpoles on 95 and then one in every southern state until you got to Delaware I’m flagpoles on the edge of 95. These were not in peoples yards, I didn’t mention I’m Jewish&my kids are black.With everything that’s been happening& traveling two days before the inauguration, I had to watch my 13yr-old cry when we got pulled over because he was petrified after seeing the confederate flags and everything else that’s going on in the past couple years in the news, all 3 times he immediately put his 2 hands u&kept them flat on his window. This is a kid whose favorite person is the flash and has about 50 action figures. If they can justify charging me 300 extra dollars and still have not even try to help me because of a misunderstanding, should I charge $1000 for the ticket & another $1000 for each warning from the negligence of not having their car registered? this is no exaggeration, my son was shaking and terrified, and he put tears in my eyes and I had to swallow that just to keep him calm.
All I was told,was to submit the monetary citation and they’ll take care of it... I still don’t know what to do about the situation, but my point is if all these companies could just pretty much paying 50 people without their knowledge, but them and then turn around and do something 20 times worse and don’t have to pay a dime, where is the justice with that?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Rachel Berkowitzwilliams
I understand that you yourself have never been charged the fee, but look at the last line you wrote.. it’s a fair practice, if people are aware, it doesn’t mean that they’re scamming anyone. I am giving you this out of personal experience unfortunately and it wasn’t a 75 hour rental. I have four kids, I am disabled and I try to work part time doing gig work when I can. I rented a car through Avis on a one-way drop from Florida to Connecticut. I was so excited because I got supposedly three different discounts, one because I had Avis preferred the other from Amazon prime in the other because when I do to get to work I deliver for Uber and they also have a discounted rate. They told me the total will be $647 if I paid upfront, which I did..That included everything, with all the chaos of being sick with mold poisoning having five surgeries for kids and everything else going on at the time, I had read something about Avis preferred customers picking up at the airport and if they didn’t have time to fill up the car when they dropped off, they will just have to pay the amount it would cost Avis to fill it.Not to mention there was a gas station right there, and this is definitely not in the days of expensive gas but They didn’t have my rental and I ended up with the Yukon because there was nothing smaller. That takes 93 premium gas. I returned the car and I had almost a half a tank, if you write back to this post I will show you the picture of the receipt, I was charged $297 for gas. Do you think the $10 is fair I’m gonna tell you what that $10 is really quick in case you don’t know and this is for everybody, I went on my calculator, the Yukon takes 26 gallons of gas, so even if I hightailed up to four dollars a gallon it still doesn’t come out to 100. I called them frantic because we have no money at all like I said I’m on disability with a fixed income and right now I can’t do anything due to COPD as well I might autoimmune disorder and Covid. I asked them if it was a mistake, they told me that if you don’t return the car with a full tank you are automatically charged for a full tank at 999 a gallon which might as well say $10 a gallon. The only person that is scheming and getting over his them. I was floored, when I picked my job off the floor, I said why is the gas 999 that was the only question that one popped out of my mouth. She stayed silent for about 10 seconds, asked me is there anything else I can help you with today? Then proceeded to say thank you for using Avis have a good day and hung up I definitely was not trying to get over and Avis or the next person renting that car all I was thinking about when I was returning it was that there was no one to give me a ride back to my house from the rental place, and they took an extra $250 hold when I rented it even after paying in full so I had no money for an Uber.. I explained this to them by the way and I told him everything that was going on, I’ve been told three times now to have a good day. Charging any customer 999 or $10 a gallon is out right disgusting especially if you’re charging it to the people that have the least money in the world at this point especially while there’s a pandemic. Not to mention when you pride yourself on customer service and going out of your way for your customers. I never got loud or obnoxious with anyone, because I know they didn’t personally feel it, I still haven’t even gotten to the place that I need to to fix it. I’ve been shuffled around a lot, also I got pulled over three times when we got off the exit because the car was not registered one of the places was in Georgia who said it didn’t matter if it was a rental because in that state it’s whoever is driving the car‘s responsibility and I got an actual ticket the other two were mornings. With everything that’s going on in the world right now, my kids were got your file! Driving from Florida to Connecticut, we saw two huge confederate flags in Florida on flagpoles on 95 and then one in every southern state until you got to Delaware I’m flagpoles on the edge of 95. These were not in peoples yards, I didn’t mention I’m Jewish&my kids are black.With everything that’s been happening& traveling two days before the inauguration, I had to watch my 13yr-old cry when we got pulled over because he was petrified after seeing the confederate flags and everything else that’s going on in the past couple years in the news, all 3 times he immediately put his 2 hands u&kept them flat on his window. This is a kid whose favorite person is the flash and has about 50 action figures. If they can justify charging me 300 extra dollars and still have not even try to help me because of a misunderstanding, should I charge $1000 for the ticket & another $1000 for each warning from the negligence of not having their car registered? this is no exaggeration, my son was shaking and terrified, and he put tears in my eyes and I had to swallow that just to keep him calm.
All I was told,was to submit the monetary citation and they’ll take care of it... I still don’t know what to do about the situation, but my point is if all these companies could just pretty much paying 50 people without their knowledge, but them and then turn around and do something 20 times worse and don’t have to pay a dime, where is the justice with that?
Nobody can read this wandering wall of psychobabble.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:32 am

Sounds like someone did an expensive reverse-peak one-way from FL to CT, at the time that most specials were southbound.
Happy and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Sounds like someone did an expensive reverse-peak one-way from FL to CT, at the time that most specials were southbound.
User error then blames the company instead of the user who made a costly mistake - then resurrect a post from YEARS AGO to justify his/her mistake.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:29 pm

I havent read the entirety of this thread but I think Budget just tried this with me (spent a half hour on the phone correcting it, bc the principle of the thing is so outrageous)-- I took out an old Malibu yesterday, drove 51 miles and returned to JFK. FIlled it up to tippy top 10 mins before return--had receipt in my pocket. I look at the receipt the guy has on his little machine and it says OUT: 7/8 FULL; IN: 8/8 FULL. Ie, it SHOWS that i returned it with more gas than i took it out with. Cool

An hour later my app uploads the receipt and bam, $18 gas fee. I mean, thats just robbery. And the guy on the customer service line wants to see copy of my gas receipt- even tho THEIR OWN DOCUMENT SHOWS I BROUGHT BACK MORE GAS THAN I STARTED WITH.

(on a separate note, have you ever shown up at an airport 2 hours before your fight to find the return lot from your rental company CLOSED with no sign, explanation, anything, just vans perpendicular blocking the entrance? What an insane morning. I of course knew to try Avis (also blocked shut, but this time with a sleeping security guard i couldnt even see and thankfully woke up to move his van out of the way), but most people would not know that Budget = Avis, and all the JFK signage sends you to a closed, dark Budget lot? The more i think about it, the more outrageous it is).
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by NBNY424
I havent read the entirety of this thread but I think Budget just tried this with me (spent a half hour on the phone correcting it, bc the principle of the thing is so outrageous)-- I took out an old Malibu yesterday, drove 51 miles and returned to JFK. FIlled it up to tippy top 10 mins before return--had receipt in my pocket. I look at the receipt the guy has on his little machine and it says OUT: 7/8 FULL; IN: 8/8 FULL. Ie, it SHOWS that i returned it with more gas than i took it out with. Cool

An hour later my app uploads the receipt and bam, $18 gas fee. I mean, thats just robbery. And the guy on the customer service line wants to see copy of my gas receipt- even tho THEIR OWN DOCUMENT SHOWS I BROUGHT BACK MORE GAS THAN I STARTED WITH.
I always ask for the printed receipt if there's someone there to check-in the car in order to verify there are no bogus gas charges. Not always possible however when it's busy and I don't have time to wait around.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.