Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Will avis retroactively apply frequent flier surcharge if I add miles to old rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will avis retroactively apply frequent flier surcharge if I add miles to old rental?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

If I go back and click "add frequent flyer points" to previous company rentals, will Avis go back and charge my employer's credit card for the "frequent flyer" per day fee, or whatever they charge now?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by johndoe123
If I go back and click "add frequent flyer points" to previous company rentals, will Avis go back and charge my employer's credit card for the "frequent flyer" per day fee, or whatever they charge now?
Nope. But they don't retroactively post the miles, in my experience... You can add all the FF #'s you want, but they never post, unless you've given the FF# upon checkin and pay the FF surcharge.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: OnePass, Priority Club, many others
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Nope. But they don't retroactively post the miles, in my experience... You can add all the FF #'s you want, but they never post, unless you've given the FF# upon checkin and pay the FF surcharge.
I disagree, although my information might be old. When I first started traveling for business, the corporate client who was paying for travel insisted I use Avis, and I was a noobie regarding FF programs in general. I didn't know I could add a FF# to a car rental. After a few rentals, I went back and did the ADD FF NUMBER function on their website, and I got credit for all the miles. They never charged my CC as far as I can remember. Granted, this was a few years back, so Your Mileage May Vary. (Anyone know when they started doing the FF surcharge? Maybe there was no surcharge back then?)

FYI, if you add a number for a FF program, and it is not valid for that particular rental, it will come up in a day or two (using the View past rental agreement function) with a message saying ZERO MILES or INELIGIBLE. If that happens, just go ahead and try a different program - they all have different rules.

As a side note, why would the ADD FF NUMBER function exist, if they didn't plan to credit you with the miles?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by GMTminusFive
I disagree, although my information might be old. When I first started traveling for business, the corporate client who was paying for travel insisted I use Avis, and I was a noobie regarding FF programs in general. I didn't know I could add a FF# to a car rental. After a few rentals, I went back and did the ADD FF NUMBER function on their website, and I got credit for all the miles. They never charged my CC as far as I can remember. Granted, this was a few years back, so Your Mileage May Vary. (Anyone know when they started doing the FF surcharge? Maybe there was no surcharge back then?)

FYI, if you add a number for a FF program, and it is not valid for that particular rental, it will come up in a day or two (using the View past rental agreement function) with a message saying ZERO MILES or INELIGIBLE. If that happens, just go ahead and try a different program - they all have different rules.

As a side note, why would the ADD FF NUMBER function exist, if they didn't plan to credit you with the miles?
I just added my SPG account to a whack of older Avis rentals. So far 4 of them have been credited to my account.

Maybe its a CHM thing, but on my 2 most recent rentals there wasnt a FF surcharge listed on the Preferred Rental Agreement or the E-Invoice.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

"The Frequent Flyer surcharge or FTP tax are not applicable to mileage/points or credits earned on international airlines, hotel programs or other non-airline frequency programs."

So, maybe SPG didn't retroactively charge. Anyone done this with airline miles?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GMTminusFive
You know... That is an excellent question.

I know when I started traveling on Avis this year, I didnt know how to get my US FF# in the system. I went back and did the "add FF" to retroactive credit my US account for about 10 of my rentals, and got nothing... zip, zero, zilch. So I assumed it wasnt possible...

But now that you mention it, why is that function available on the webpage?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:47 am

Avis Works

I rent almost every week from Avis. Sometimes I forget to enter my UAL FF.

Go online to your AVIS account, view past rentals, section to add FF credit.

Works perfect every time.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA Gld / 1MM, Marriott Plat
I can confirm that this works consistently with an AAdvantage number as well. I usually forget to put it on there when I make the reservation and I always get the miles posted (and no fee charged) retroactively.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:50 pm

yes it will work for retro. my avis, account history.. click the button then click add mileage.... at the bottom of the history. list. always worked for me.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:08 pm

Well dang it, it never works for me with USAirways DM... Must be US?!
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA G, Hil Loser, Marr PL
I seldom have issues with retroactive credit for rentals. They usually post within a week or 2. The only time I have problems is when I change my itinerary halfway through the rental (different return city). They never post in this case.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Well dang it, it never works for me with USAirways DM... Must be US?!
Well, this is US we're talking about. Nothing ever works with US
Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, LH SEN
Some FF programs require also a flight with the rental, and the BP is requested. If you claim retroactively with such a FF program, you will probably get zero miles.

The following spreadsheet is a good source:

http://www.avis.ch/avisonline/ch-de/avis.nsf/cda0767c7208170cc1256a2300327788/5fb03e2eb2f4e6b6c1256d250055ebbe/$FILE/Partner%20Prompt%20Guide%20for%202006.xls
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Does anyone know if it is still possible to retroactively change to a FF program to avoid the fee? When I view my activity on the Avis website I only have the option to view the receipt or book again. This thread is 10 years old so I am guessing that this no longer works.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
It is possible by sending a note to customer service (not a template anymore). If you do this routinely to skip the FF fee, I am sure it will end up bad for you at some point (including the ability for Avis to start adjusting the total due).

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.