Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Whats the deal with the missing discount codes thread?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors

Obviously, the Thought Police have tinkered with access to the thread on Avis Discount Codes found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311380

I can't access it - anyone know the story?

(and they said the digital age would render ink on paper useless...)
Old Aug 7, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: AC MM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Why the removal of a thread with no explanation? Was there a threat from Avis?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:08 pm

Odd. It is saying I don't have "sufficient access" to look.

Has something changed?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I asked about this in the Technical Issues forum. No reply yet.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344491
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:12 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I asked about this in the Technical Issues forum. No reply yet.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344491
Still no reply....
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ex Amex Card
Still no reply....
Bump...let's not let this fade.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:13 pm

I think too many were using it

The problem with these discount codes were that most were tied to corporate agreements that in many cases, waived the insurance (negotiated in the corporate rates) So when we used these rates, the counter agent would automatically by pass the insurance questions and we would drive away oblivious to the fact that we had no coverage. I know my company made a huge deal out of this (if we used the Hertz # for personal use) They actually sued a driver who was not an employee for using their corporate rates and then filing the insurance claim against their policy.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by doc_200
The problem with these discount codes were that most were tied to corporate agreements that in many cases, waived the insurance (negotiated in the corporate rates) So when we used these rates, the counter agent would automatically by pass the insurance questions and we would drive away oblivious to the fact that we had no coverage. I know my company made a huge deal out of this (if we used the Hertz # for personal use) They actually sued a driver who was not an employee for using their corporate rates and then filing the insurance claim against their policy.
But why would FT delete the thread? They might mention something about being careful regarding insurance, but I doubt they'd censor the information without an explanation.

If that story is true about a private renter trying to claim on a corporate insurance policy, he deserves to be sued for stupidity alone.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sapman986
If that story is true about a private renter trying to claim on a corporate insurance policy, he deserves to be sued for stupidity alone.
Amen! I can't image that's true.

Furthermore, do people really buy the add-on insurance? I always decline all additional coverage; I think its a huge rip-off.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:28 pm

Programs: AOPA, 1TE4
AVIS Rental Codes Disappeared

FWIW, I have seen rental car companies threaten legal action on another website for publicly posting group discount codes. What the exact liability was I'm not sure but I do recall the letter of legal risk threatened severe repercussions if the codes were not immediately and permanently removed.

Some Things Are Circular In The Fog,

mrspilot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.