Impossible Mileage Scenarios

Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
Impossible Mileage Scenarios

Thought I'd post this. Rented a car for 3 days and Avis tells me I drove 24728 miles...so the final bill is $8803.92.

Knew this was a thing in the past where agents would accidentally key in an extra digit for mileage and the system will automatically bill accordingly. But that was over 10 years ago, clearly still no logic rules built into their system on impossible/out of bounds scenarios.

Called Avis...agent said its clearly impossible to achieve, but she can't override it. Requires backend accounting and that will take 48 to 72 hours+. We shall see if that actually happens.

Meanwhile, the charge has already been made against my Amex on file ; and I will take the accomplishment of being able to drive 325mph for 76 hours straight.

Auto Enthusiast, m907 and oftech like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Had you compared the odometer reading with the "out" mileage on the rental agreement at the start of the rental? And compared the odometer reading with the "in" mileage on the rental receipt at the end of the rental?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Had you compared the odometer reading with the "out" mileage o

n the rental agreement at the start of the rental? And compared the odometer reading with the "in" mileage on the rental receipt at the end of the rental?
Honestly nothing in the receipts make sense. Odo out is 25596, Odo In is 115860. so technically the difference is 90264 miles. But they're billing me for 24728 miles.

Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:25 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Consider yourself lucky they didn't bill you for what you "actually" drove, otherwise, your bill would be $19,660.80 more!

Seriously though, please do report back. If you get any pushback, we'd be happy to assist.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The out and in mileage on the rental agreement and receipt are one thing; the actual odometer readings are another. If you do not look at the odometer when you pick up and return the car, and compare those readings to what appears on the paperwork, you are subject to the kind of aggravation you are now experiencing.

Whenever I return a rental car, I snap a picture showing -- in one frame -- both the fuel level and the odometer reading. It's unfortunate that we have to do this, but it's really your best protection.

And if there's is a significant discrepancy between the "out" mileage on the rental agreement and the actual odometer reading, I do not drive the car off the lot until getting the rental agreement corrected.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've had this 2x in the last 2 weeks and wondered how (in 2024) this is still a problem. Two recent examples:
1. Had a car for `2 days. Upon return, they added an extra digit in the return mileage, so it was basically 10,xxx miles driven over 2 days. >200MPH for the entirety of the rental.
2. Picked up Car X from an airport for a 1-way rental (I had it assigned at the Preferred counter, and had it scanned on the way out of the lot when they checked my license). Car had ~22,000 miles at pickup. About 2 hours later, I got an email/text that I was assigned to Car Y and it's ready in whatever space. This one had ~900 miles on it. CHM desk said I have to fix it at the pickup location. I was already >100 miles away from the pickup location and I had a printed contract, so I didn't bother trying to go back. When I returned the car the next day to another location, the agent was baffled at how to fix it, so she just checked in "Car Y" (the one I wasn't in possession of) and used the actual mileage from it. So it showed I drove >700MPH for the entire rental.

My corporate rate includes unlimited miles on most rentals so I didn't really care, but crazy to see there's not a flag to check when that happens.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've had this happen a few times with Avis vehicles... and strangely enough it was on those annoying 'connected' cars where it reports back the (incorrect) fuel level. Its supposed to report the mileage also with that 'connected' feature but I've had some where the starting mileage was almost 0 so the rental receipt showed I drover something over 20k miles in 2 days. I questioned it at the return, but the rental was also unlimited mileage so didn't have to pay any extra for their mistake.

I'm wondering where you rented that you had .30/mi on the agreement? Most locations in the US are unlimited miles.

If they don't fix it within another day or two I would contact Amex and request they put a hold on the charge due to the obvious error.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
At MCI last month the app offered me a 2,000-mile Dodge Charger. I was skeptical since it was a 2023 model year. When I found the car it actually had 22,000+ miles on it. Not wanting to open myself up to accusation, I took a different vehicle.

-J.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Quick update on this:

after contacting Avis twiceonce through phone and another through their social media email address. The amount was refunded to my corporate Amex.

originally if I didnt hear back I was planning to do a chargeback and escalate to my corporate travel manager.

but alas, this is my second time renting Avis and I wont be doing so again (been more of a Hertz or National car guy)

for more context, my corporate rate typically includes unlimited miles too, Im not entirely sure why Avis did a per mileage charge on this agreement. Im guessing it had to do with me renting out of a very small regional airport?

I was also very lucky (in a sense) to be able to get a car, when I visited the kiosk they told me they ran out of cars and couldnt guarantee my reservation. Then as I went on my app to book with another agency they had a last minute cancellation from another passenger. The Budget and Thrifty counters had signs saying no cars left.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 5:52 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Quick update on this:

after contacting Avis twiceonce through phone and another through their social media email address. The amount was refunded to my corporate Amex.

originally if I didnt hear back I was planning to do a chargeback and escalate to my corporate travel manager.

but alas, this is my second time renting Avis and I wont be doing so again (been more of a Hertz or National car guy)

for more context, my corporate rate typically includes unlimited miles too, Im not entirely sure why Avis did a per mileage charge on this agreement. Im guessing it had to do with me renting out of a very small regional airport?

I was also very lucky (in a sense) to be able to get a car, when I visited the kiosk they told me they ran out of cars and couldnt guarantee my reservation. Then as I went on my app to book with another agency they had a last minute cancellation from another passenger. The Budget and Thrifty counters had signs saying no cars left.
Id forgive Avis (they all suck) However Hertz might have had you arrested and thrown in jail
They just arent a shadow of the company they once were historically
I almost never rent cars now almost always using ride share.The liabilities are too great
and jail cells arent an option because I choose a hertz and might extend a rental
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Saw this in talk mail. I wonder if the original error was inputting 11 for 2 somehow. In other words, is it possible that your "odometer in" was 25,860, meaning that you drove 264 miles? Glad it ended well for you. There are times when Avis has great rates (especially one way) but I've often had more trouble with them in terms of billing errors and charges than with National or Sixt, my normal go tos. Plus I always seem to get really old (high mileage) and under-equipped cars from Avis compared to the other two.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Plat / QR Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Whenever I return a rental car, I snap a picture showing -- in one frame -- both the fuel level and the odometer reading. It's unfortunate that we have to do this, but it's really your best protection.
Even photos aren't always taken as sure-fire evidence. For example, one time the Hertz branch at DC's Union Station accused me of never returning a rental car for which I handed the keys directly to an employee, but made the bad, hurried decision of accepting a receipt over e-mail rather than printed out (which never came). When I submitted a photo similar to the one you describe, with the garage in the background, Hertz argued that the photo doesn't prove that I didn't hop back into the car after the photo was taken and drive away with it.

In another instance, when an incorrect fuel-in was registered on my receipt, Hertz claimed that the check-out photo I submitted to them doesn't definitely prove that it was the same location and same car as the one I rented.

So even photos get pushback. Now I try to never leave the rental location until the receipt is either in my hand or in my e-mail inbox.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gaggia
So even photos get pushback. Now I try to never leave the rental location until the receipt is either in my hand or in my e-mail inbox.
I've been experiencing more locations more often that they say oh the printer isn't working, or oh you need to go to the desk inside and wait in the hour long line line to get a receipt printed etc etc.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Plat / QR Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I've been experiencing more locations more often that they say oh the printer isn't working, or oh you need to go to the desk inside and wait in the hour long line line to get a receipt printed etc etc.
Yeah, that's what I was told, too, when I left the keys and contract with the employee. Wound up in a monthslong battle about whether I'd actually returned the car or not.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
I've had the opposite occur 4 times in a row now... saying I drove too few miles. Of course all three were instances where I only needed a car because I was 1.) in a small town at night with no hotel shuttles or Uber/unsure taxi, or 2.) had a one-way from somewhere like Barnstable to BOS and they were trying to get rid of an electric vehicle they didn't want... all cases they told me to take either an electric vehicle or one requiring premium gas with saying I didn't need to put any gas in it. And I got charged for a refuel charge each time. Avis has the same story each time - known bug that if you are under certain mileage it automatically bills it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.