Actually charged late return fee?

Old May 15, 2023, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Actually charged late return fee?

I was in a discussion on another forum and found there is a difference in rental agreements between Avis-Budget and the other major rental companies. The others all specify returning the car on the date on the agreement but nothing about the time. Avis-Budget agreements specify date and time. Has anyone had a late return fee actually charged in a case similar what I've laid out below?
Booking made from 1200 Friday through 1200 Sunday, inbound flight delayed and pick up the car at 1330 Friday, return car at 1320 on Sunday.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:17 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Rentals are priced on a 24-hour day, so if you have a reservation for Fri 12pm to Sun 12pm and you don't end up picking up the rental until 13:30 on Fri then you have until 13:30 on Sun to return it for no extra charge.

Hope this helps!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Rentals are priced on a 24-hour day, so if you have a reservation for Fri 12pm to Sun 12pm and you don't end up picking up the rental until 13:30 on Fri then you have until 13:30 on Sun to return it for no extra charge.

Hope this helps!
This is the case if the time out is updated properly. If you are at a large location, they typically pre-print the contract to be your reserved time + 45 minutes (to allow for some delay in getting there). Smaller stations that print the contract upon arrival sometimes update the time based on your actual pickup, but not always. If you are late and will be cutting it close with the 24-hour increment, stop by the desk and ensure they update your time out.
Tanic and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash

Hope this helps!
While generally true, I'd be careful about assuming this will always be the case.

Perhaps my knowledge here is outdated, but I believe that sometimes weekend-only rates are based on a return by noon Monday or Tuesday, so for example a Friday 1330 to Monday 1330 *might* not end up being the same cost as a Fri 1200 to Mon 1200. If you anticipate such a situation, could always do a sample booking for the later time just to see if the cost is the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.