Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

avis canceled my reservation because my flight was 1.5 hours late??

Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Reserved the car on avis.com and provided my flight details (airline and flight number). Flight was about 90 minutes late arriving destination. When I went to the Avis desk to pick up the keys, the agent said she had already "canceled" (I think that was the word she used) my reservation because I was expected to have picked up the cars an hour and a half ago. She was able to "reinstate" the reservation for the same vehicle and same rate, so no harm there, however I'm wondering why I even bothered to input my flight information on Avis.com when making the reservation??? Isn't that exactly why I provide that info...so that Avis knows if my flight is delayed (which I have absolutely zero control over)??

Last edited by ajcopley; Jan 23, 2023 at 3:10 pm
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:05 pm

Looks to me like they receive no automated updates on flight delays? I suspect the flight details they ask for are meant for normal circumstances only. Which of course makes it a bit pointless...
Old Jan 23, 2023, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
Looks to me like they receive no automated updates on flight delays? I suspect the flight details they ask for are meant for normal circumstances only. Which of course makes it a bit pointless...
Yeah I figured a flight delay was the only reason they wanted my flight info....otherwise to your point, why bother???
Old Jan 27, 2023, 9:24 pm

I don't give them my flight info, because I don't want them tying me to a particular flight. What if I take an earlier or later flight?
Old Jan 29, 2023, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeyday
I don't give them my flight info, because I don't want them tying me to a particular flight. What if I take an earlier or later flight?
You have to give Avis a pickup time. In my situation, I didn't pick up the car at my specified pickup time, so they cancelled my reservation. Giving them your flight information (where in theory, avis can monitor the flight and adjust pickup time accordingly) apparently did nothing to prevent this from happening.

So your suggestion of NOT providing any flight information would have not helped my situation in any way. I told Avis I'd pick up the car at noon. I didn't pick up the car at noon, so they canceled it. Independent of there being any flight info attached to my reservation.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.