Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by m907
The Expedition drives better than many crossovers...perhaps the problem was with the hangover, not the vehicle.
I'm an ex-Ford marketing guy and it decidedly does NOT drive better than...well, pretty much most anything.
Auto Enthusiast and DELee like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:47 pm

Booked: Premium
Offered: 2022 Chrysler 300 (25k miles)
Received: 2023 Durango (12k miles)

First time experiencing a working Avis app in a while. Kept offering Hyundai Santa Fes in a million different colors, but all as paid upgrades. I almost grabbed a 2022 Ford Explorer, then a 2022 Murano, but when a 2023 model Durango popped up, I impulsively grabbed it. I wish I had waited a bit longer to see what else came my way, because it was fun to drive but I spent $35 to fill it up after driving it only 100 miles.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Absolutely it does NOT. That thing was horrible to drive in the mountains. Both ways.
I just drove an Expedition 800 miles through central and western Colorado. If you're used to NPC crossovers, then sure, the Expedition is intimidating.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hertz Five Star, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Booked: Toyota RAV4 or similar
Received: 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro (32k miles)

Not a bad vehicle overall. 20mpg was a pain but it worked. Florida plates, definitely off lease.

I heard them ask about Wranglers and was like nooooo way. Would do a 4Runner again in places with cheap gas.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Booked: Group F vehicle
Received: Toyota 4Runner AWD with 6 miles (yes just 6, there where some bits and pieces of wrapping and plastic in the car in addition to the new car smell).

Car was fine, although very fuel hungry. One way rental to CTL.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:00 pm

Booked: Group Z; Full Sized SUV Tahoe or similar
Received: Group L; Premium SUV Expedition Max 4x4

I should state that this trip was originally supposed to be for 4 or 5 people but due to illnesses and other circumstances ended up just being two of us.

Arrived at BOS with app prompting me to ‘Choose My Vehicle’. Every attempt resulted in an error message and me having to go to the Preferred Desk in the garage.

Initially offered a Jeep Wagoner with 27k but I asked if they had any lower mileage options. Searched, but no. Asked if any Suburban’s were available- yes, but all were 40k+. Then the lovely assistant found a 2023 Ford Expedition Platinum Max 4x4 with only 1600 miles on the clock and this will do!

Two days in, great car. All of the toys, and over a 600 mile drive today I’ve got the average mpg up to 19.4! I know it seems excessive, but we’d already budgeted for the fuel, so doesn’t matter too much on a once a year vacation from the UK.

From my point of view for the purposes of this forum, there was little (absolutely no) push back from the Avis representative in offering this ‘upgrade’ and you are at least guaranteed a lot of toys and good finishes in the interior. And, as of this evening, we’ve done a couple of twisty routes and it hasn’t made us feel sick
DELee and m907 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 4:47 pm

Booked: Full-size Chevrolet Malibu or similar
Received: Tesla model 3 (less than 3k km)

First time renting as PC, APP is not working & was assigned a Tesla model 3 at the counter. There are tons of new model 3 at YYZ Avis, can be a great alternative to Hertz Tesla rentals.
IAHtraveler and himang like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 12:22 pm

Booked: full-size sedan
Offered: none - check with counter
Received: Genesis G70

Asked for a SUV upgrade, but none were available (1 week rental through Memorial Day weekend). Received a Genesis G70 with about 30k miles. Base trim with few amenities and too small for four adults, but drove well. Would have been great for two.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by m907
I just drove an Expedition 800 miles through central and western Colorado. If you're used to NPC crossovers, then sure, the Expedition is intimidating.
What is NPC crossover?

My daily is a BMW, so I'm used to something that can go around curves without tipping over.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 12:17 am

What is NPC crossover?

My daily is a BMW, so I'm used to something that can go around curves without tipping over.
NPC is non-playable character, in this case meaning generic cars for generic people.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: BMW x3
Received: BMW x3

Nice upgrade for sure... especially after getting a 62k mile piece of crap Corolla from SEA a week ago. I've been a National customer for years and only switched to Avis after my employer dumped the National leisure rate. This was a nice upgrade after a very bad start.

But can someone tell BMW to design a car that normal humans can understand? Why does the gear shifter have to be this ridiculously complicated thing? The last thing I want to think about, driving on the other side of the road for the first time, is how to figure out how to shift from park into drive, back into park.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:18 pm

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
Last time I got an Expedition, I had to drive from Boise to Redfish Lake for a wedding. "You're SURE you don't have anything smaller?" "I'm upgrading you, don't complain." "Wait, you just said it's all you have. So, not really an upgrade is it? It's a 'get this guy out of my face'. You're gonna pay for half the gas then right?" "NEXT!" I was furious.

Let me tell you, driving this huge thirsty wallowing drunken rhino of a truck on the twisty curvy mountain roads the morning after a very boisterous after-party with a walloping hangover and a queasy belly sloshing with coffee made for a colorful roadside ejection on the way back to BOI... ugh. Never again. And the $100+ fill-up only added insult to injury.
Haha i mean it was only for a day for me... plus I normally drive a pickup truck, so I felt right at home in the land yacht :P
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: United: Non-revver, IHG: Plat elite, Hertz: PC, Avis: PC, Enterprise: Platinum
Date: June 2nd

Booked: Intermediate sedan
Offered: None- last second reservation
App had: Few tacoma 4WD's, a F150 LWB, ram 1500, Few explorers, Jeep Gladiator

Received: Gladiator

I wanted to roll with the roof off since it was nice out, and hit some off road trails. Solid rental for the day, no complaints
born sleepy likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Booked: Full size
Offered (App): Nissan Altims
Accepted: Nissan Altima

Flight into SMF was late so at rental car bus by 11:40 pm with Avis closing at midnight. App offered the Altima with only a Pacifica hybrid as an alternative. Agreed to the Altima in the app so that at least I had a car for the night. Could have waited after all since the bus got to the Rental Car area by 11:50. Ah well.

And, yes, it had a sun roof.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 9, 2023 at 8:44 am Reason: add pics
Old Jun 9, 2023, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Booked: Full size
Offered (App): Ford Explorer XLT
Accepted: Ford Explorer XLT

Again, UA flying late. Got into AUS at 11:30 pm and Avis by 11:50. Explorer quoted at over 47K miles. Other options were a Ram Crew Cab, Nissan Murano with <150.miles and a _paisley_ Subaru Outlander. Mrs. said take the Ford and we'll drive around the lot to look for said paisley Subaru. Sadly, no paisley vehicle identified.

Back to used vehicle registered out of FL. Rear wiper is missing so those are permanent scratches on that back window. Also, no sunroof this time.

David

p.s. Also not an ex-Ford marketing guy.

Last edited by DELee; Jun 10, 2023 at 12:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.