Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
If I'm not mistaken, all current Pacificas are hybrids.

I would gladly take one over any of the rentals I've had in the last year or so, aside from the BMW X5 I got @ YYZ last year which was really nice. But they don't seem to be very common.
They're all hybrids at Avis or in general? The V6 is still standard.
sfmman2000 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by m907
They're all hybrids at Avis or in general? The V6 is still standard.
The Siennas are all hybrids. Pacificas that I've seen at Avis lately are either standard ICE or the plug-in hybrid. They might make a "regular" hybrid but I haven't seen one on Avis. I regularly choose any variety of the Pacifica now as they are VERY well equipped at Avis and a comfy ride for myself and anyone with me.
sfmman2000 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:17 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
The Siennas are all hybrids. Pacificas that I've seen at Avis lately are either standard ICE or the plug-in hybrid. They might make a "regular" hybrid but I haven't seen one on Avis. I regularly choose any variety of the Pacifica now as they are VERY well equipped at Avis and a comfy ride for myself and anyone with me.
Oh right, it's the Siennas that are all hybrids. And the one I had once was actually pretty plush.
sfmman2000 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Booked: Full-Size
Offered: 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
App: 2022 Chrysler 300
Accepted: 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee (White, 3.6K mi., GA plates)

Last edited by nycatl; Jul 17, 2023 at 1:27 pm
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: FB Gold
No Status
Rental site : RIC (one-way to RDU)
Booked : Subcompact
Assigned/accepted : "Intermediate" 2022 Honda HR-V (41k km/25k mls).

Honestly wanted something a little smaller but on a Saturday morning, this was the smallest car on the lot- the rest were even larger SUVs/minivans/executive sedans.

Was a little surprised and disappointed at the thirsty fuel consumption, averaged 8,5 l/100km on full autoroute drive between Richmond and Raleigh and it couldn't even get to 500km on one tank of fuel (!). Was also a reminder of all the "lawyer limitations" on US-spec cars (basically can't do anything unless parked, a radar cruise that doesn't work above 145 km/h, etc.... ). But honestly renting in the US, I was just happy to have a clean, mechanically correct car without sticky drink stains in the interior. And this time, no annoying fuel level sensor ! But even with a AWD discount code, it was quite expensive for a week-end rental.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:39 pm

Booked: PREMIUM
Offered: 2019 MERCEDES BENZ A220, 45k miles
App: nada
Accepted: the sole car offered

This is the third or fourth time that I booked a premium vehicle and regretted it, because they shove you into the oldest luxury brand they can find. And since the Avis app continues to be a joke... you're stuck.

Car drove OK, but its like driving a Jetta with frustrating, ugly interior. Car also STUNK of air freshener.
I actually really wanted to pick up from Budget-- same price and much more convenient for me in Manhattan to return. But once again, JFK Budget has confirmed they just don't do the FastBreak thing. No car appointed, nothing waiting for me, just a crazy hostile employee barking at FastBreak to stand in a separate line (to be served by the one employee working everything).
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:45 pm

The oldest car might have been because it's a one-way, so they want to get rid of it.

Unfortunately, Manhattan is one of the few places where Avis and Budget have separate offices. Both brands are corporate, but have small underground garage spaces.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 10:27 am
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Booked: Prius
Offered: No Prius at the assigned spot

I booked a Prius (hybrid cars are included in my company's $28/day rate for sedans), except it wasn't there. Went back inside and was offered a Tesla Model 3 instead. Easily the best rental car I've ever had, and there's no shortage of superchargers in California. Might not have worked in other places, but it was great for my trip to Joshua Tree NP.

Good things about a Tesla rental:
  • I don't see how they will bill me for supercharger usage.
  • They have the Dual Motor (Tesla's name for AWD), Autopilot, and Long Range battery Model 3s.
  • Home charger and SAE J1772 Charging Adapter (what public chargers in the US use) are provided. Surprisingly, they weren't opened in the last 8 months/13,000 miles the car was in service.
Annoyances with a Tesla rental:
  • Avis doesn't have Premium Connectivity, so you don't have traffic data and the built-in streaming services don't work. Navigation still works.
  • Tesla should come up with "rental car" mode so I could add it to the Tesla app and remote control it; they require proof of ownership to add it to your account. Don't forget where you parked it since it only has a key card you tap on the driver's door to unlock/lock it.
  • No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the Bluetooth to stay paired with my Pixel.
  • At least at ONT, it doesn't look like they had any on-site charging available. I got the car at 49% battery, but the rental agreement said "full" and that I agree to return the car at the same fuel level or pay for fuel service. Good luck converting gallons of gas to electrons for me.
sfmman2000, FTDDD and lgormley like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: intermediate
Offered: nothing

SDF has finished building the outside Preferred kiosk but it's not yet open. At least it's happening, but until it opens you'll still have to wait in line. App was once again useless. Once I got to the counter Mr Surlypants offered a Honda CRV; asked for a sedan and after 20 minutes of clickity-clackity stare stare clickity-clackity stare stare clickity-clackity stare stare clickity-clackity stare stare was offered a newish Accord hybrid with over 40,000 miles on it. Once on the highway a damaged rear tire made its presence known with a loud wopwopwopwop noise and bad vibration, the car had half a tank of gas and it reeked of cigarettes. Took it back the next day and got a 2022 Cadillac CT5 in exchange with about 20,000mi.

Nice car but srsly a gritty 4-pot truck engine in this car? Ugh. I hate GM. And 4-cylinder engines.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Booked:Intermediate
Offered: nothing in app

Second visit to SDF this quarter and second time I've had to take a minivan because there was nothing else available. I'm arriving on a busy Monday afternoon so I get the lack of options but wow I've been unlucky. I got a 2022 Chrysler Pacifica hybrid that the fuel door wouldn't close and learned today as I was pumping that there was a fuel tank issue that basically made it think when you were pumping gas that the tank was full, so while fueling it would stop the flow every two seconds. Fifteen minutes later I was able to fill the tank up.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Booked: Full size
Offered (App): Who knows?
Offered (Booth): Toyota Highlander

Accepted: Chrysler Pacifica

~22,300 miles when received

App was barfing so wasn't clear what Avis SMF was gonna offer. Handed the keys to a Toyota Highlander. Opened the door and was wafted with stale pot smoke. Went back to the booth where agent said "I just drove in onto the lot - didn't smell anything".

Anyway was then handed the keys to the Pacifica. As an old dad who formerly had a Town and Country, the Pacifica was basically yet another Chrysler minivan. The biggest problem was on the return - Ended up putting over 10 gallons in that priced at $50 just outside SMF. Had I filled at the Arco, it would have been at least $10 more.

Edit - I take back about the biggest problem. The vehicle wanted to get its entertainment center firmware updated so asked to download via wifi. I had pressed yes in the Avis lot just in case it could - which of course means it couldn't. When I then tried to synch my phone via Bluetooth, no luck. And no go with any wifi. Next day when I started the vehicle and declined the firmware update, it then allowed me to synch with my phone. Final issue was that the entertainment system was inconsistent with its start up - sometimes it would automatically connect my phone and play songs from it. Most of the time, it would hit some stupid FM crap station and I'd be forced to switch to my phone manually in the Media page. Annoying as hell.

David

Last edited by DELee; Mar 3, 2023 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:31 pm

Booked: Standard
Offered: nothing in app
Accepted: 2023 Jeep Cherokee

Had choice of Camry, Malibu or 2019 equinox
Old Mar 10, 2023, 11:50 am

Booked: Intermediate
Offered: Nissan Altima
Received: same

This was on Sunday, 2/26 at about 3 PM - there were two trims of Altima on the lot, and I got the base (without CarPlay or AndroidAuto.) All cars were locked and keys held at the Preferred desk. I was on the list, and there was no line when I showed up, but went back 15 minutes later to ask about upgrade availability and it was a madhouse. A cowerker of mine who arrived a bit later to that scene was stuck there for 2.5 hours.

I took my assigned Altima gladly and was grateful to have missed the line - never have I seen delays like that at HNL; it's like they had closed the regular desk; they even had a bullpen area set up for people to wait while they matched renters with cars.
oftech likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:10 pm

Booked: Intermediate
Offered: 2021 Volvo XC40 FWD
Received: Same

Listed as a FWD (lowest trim) version, it was actually an AWD Inscription (highest trim) model. Was really happy with this one.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:49 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Offered: 2022 Buick Enclave
Received: Same

Large and comfortable ride, easy to fit three road bikes in the back with the third row and one of the second row seats down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.