2023 Upgrades

Old Oct 10, 2023, 1:46 am

Spent a few days in Miami area.

Budget has a new system, apparently: Fastbreak means you are assigned a Zone and you are then able to pick any car from that Zone and drive off. I was happy to try, and curious what they would do with my premium reservation since, at this point, that category really is a mystery without any more Impalas or Tauruses. I landed at FLL and was sent to Zone 4 which had.... one Nissan Kicks. Across the way i saw Zones 1-3 that were totally empty. A friendly attendant saw me walking away and tried to help "go look for a premium for me" but Sixt was a few feet away with a (same price) Cadillac XT4 waiting for me, so I grabbed that.

I then needed another car this morning- Budget was dirt cheap in Miami Beach, so I picked up a car there. Again, I tried Premium given the low prices, and was given a 2019 Lincoln MKC with 51k miles on it. For just one day it was fine given the price. But the lure of the cheap premium got me again, since there were brand new looking Hyundai Santa Fes on either side of the MKC i would have much rather driven.

Finally, I landed back at JFK with a Hertz and Avis Luxury car reservation. I was assigned (no change options) a new.... Chevy Blazer. Not exactly luxury. Just took the basic from Hertz.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:37 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Booked: Intermediate (Corporate)
Assigned: 2023 Chevy Malibu with 14K miles on the odometer
App: A few upgrades (free and surcharge) that were unremarkable. Decided on a 2023 GMC Terrain AT4 AWD with 9,200 miles on the odometer for no additional charge.

This was my first experience in booking with Avis at a corporate airport location; pretty slick and simple service, especially in comparison with the hot mess at the consolidated Hertz lot across the street. I booked the reservation about an hour in advance, as my plane was taxiing from the runway to the gate.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:20 pm

any recent upgrade experiences at the SYR airport?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:38 am

Avis Preferred Account First Time Renter

So I am a first time renter from Avis. How do upgrades work they work through the app? Or Ill have to go to the window. Theyve already sent me the email so I can verify my account through clear which is already been completed.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 11:14 am
TDV

Booked: Full-size
Assigned: Chrysler 300
Selected from app: 2023 Honda Passport

Picked the Honda Passport with 38 miles on odometer. Surprised to see a brand new Honda Passport on the lot.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Assigned: 2023 Kia K5 (not an upgrade)
Was offered an AWD crossover for $15/day, which I declined.

Assigned: 2023 Toyota Camry SE AWD
Also offered a Nissan Altima AWD; these are their AWD sedans. Plenty of 2WD sedans on the lot as well (lots of Malibus in the RS trim, VW Passats, Toyota Corollas) along with crossovers, SUVs and pickups, including a lime green Toyota Tacoma ETA: was given a free one-hour grace period to return!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Nov 28, 2023 at 5:52 pm
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
Posting on behalf of my wife because she booked the rental so it could be charged in and she got a better rate than I did.

Booked: Economy (one way)
Assigned: Mazda CX-5 with 58k miles with FL plates... a personal record high mileage on a rental car i have driven! And man is it rough... like alignment is way off, scratched and dented everywhere, It has earned all 58k miles and then some.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum, BA Amex etc
Booked: tiny group A via BAH
Assigned: comfy Nissan Juke
Old Nov 27, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec
Booked: Full-Size
Assigned in-app: Genesis G70
Received: Genesis G70

The Genesis was a really nice car. Unfortunately, the only other cars available in the app were Chevy Equinoxes which I had no interest in. Too bad it didn't have a panoramic roof which I would have really liked. Car only had 6K miles and was extremely clean and easy to drive.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:33 pm

Budget Fastbreak
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Selected: 2023 Chevy Equinox with 8k miles

Work travel with two colleagues. I had heard horror stories about DTW Budget, but our experience was very pleasant. Transportation from the Delta terminal was quick. The Budget app indicated that I could select any vehicle out of Zone 3. Our shuttle driver dropped us off near our zone and was clear on how to find where we should go. There were a number of vehicles - a few Kia Souls, a Jeep Compass, a Hyundai Kona, a Chevy Equinox, a badly-treated Honda CR-V, and a few smaller cars. Oh, and there was a nice RAV4 Limited that was locked and had "no key" scrawled on the window.

Ultimately weather was iffy, so I opted for the Equinox as it was AWD and a bit more substantial than the other vehicles. It was fairly basic - cloth, not a lot of frills - but was exceptionally quiet, had a comfortable ride, and got really good MPG - right about 32mpg in the largely freeway driving we did between Detroit and London, ON and back. Really appreciated the fantastically bright headlights for the dark freeway driving.

Drop-off was easy, and again, we had quick transportation to the terminal.

Nicely done, Budget!
MDtR-Chicago and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Any idea if it was the 2L turbo or the 3.6? A couple years back I rented from Enterprise and was offered a Spark or, for $xx more per day, an Enclave, and gladly took the Enclave since that meant I didn't need a one-day U-Haul rental any more. Big fan of the Buick.

-J.

Enclaves are V6 only, and the Traverse hasn't offered the 2.0T since mid-2019. The Acadia has the 2.0T for now, until the 2024 model years introduce the larger 2.5T in both the Traverse and Acadia.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:11 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: "see kiosk"
Received: New-ish Jeep Grand Cherokee, 14kmi

Thx to the ORD snowstorm last Sunday I was delayed getting to MSP about eight hours. My original assigned Mazda CX-9* was long gone. Disinterested girl at the Preferred counter rattled off the usual crap-wagons; this was the best of the lot. It's fine, and happy for the heated seats and steering in the cold (not quite yet kill-you cold here in Frostbite Falls, MN, but much appreciated).

*the CX-90 I would not at all turn down, but it's so new I doubt AvBug will get any.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 3:25 pm

Been a long time lurker here, figured Id create an account and dump my upgrade experiences from this year that I can remember (I spend a third to a half of my year on travel in Avis cars so I think I can provide some solid data)

C
Offered: Nissan Rogue
Received: 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe

Offered: Dodge Charger V6
Received: Chrysler 300S or XT4 (wish I did the XT4.)

Offered: Ford Explorer
Received: Jeep Wagoneer

Offered: Toyota Rav 4
Received: Mercedes GLC 300 (sweet upgrade for a same-day round trip drive from SLC to Saint George)

Offered: Toyota Camry
Received: Genesis G70 3.3T
^ This upgrade happened twice at DFW, with a Mustang convertible once as well

Offered: Ford Explorer
Received: Ford Expedition Max

Booked: Luxury
Offered: Cadillac of some sort - I think XT5?
Received: Genesis G80E - amazing car especially in socal with plenty of chargers available. Our AirBNB on the coast had a charging station so it worked out amazingly well!

Ill continue to edit this thread as Im on my way to OKC and will dig through my rental history for 2023. For 2023, Avis has treated me very well.

edit: all rentals marked intermediate are biz travel with a corporate partnership we have with Avis. The rest is personal travel.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 9:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by C7R35
Received: Chrysler 300S or XT4 (wish I did the XT4.)
No, you were better off with the 300. XT4 is a miserable excuse for a luxury cute-ute.
IAHtraveler, jizen and m907 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:57 am

I have PC status with Avis, if i book full size sedan like a Camry, will I get upgrade to intermediate SUV? What's the next upgrade from a Camry?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.