Avis says I drove 19576 miles... in 36 hours

Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs down Avis says I drove 19576 miles... in 36 hours

Seriously Avis? Somehow I managed to do almost 550mph for the entire rental period? Apparently somebody had the miles incorrect for the 'out' amount and my receipt says it started at 5 miles, which it was actually almost 19500.
I only drove 112 miles. And they fraudulently charged me for gas also when I returned it full.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Seriously Avis? Somehow I managed to do almost 550mph for the entire rental period? Apparently somebody had the miles incorrect for the 'out' amount and my receipt says it started at 5 miles, which it was actually almost 19500.
I only drove 112 miles. And they fraudulently charged me for gas also when I returned it full.
Whenever I check out a rental car, I always compare the "miles out" and "fuel out" info on the rental agreement with what appears on the car's dashboard. If there is any discrepancy, I take a quick photo of the odometer/fuel gauge readings, and have an Avis employee correct the rental agreement. When I return the vehicle, I once again take a single photo of the dashboard, showing both the odometer reading and the fuel level

FWIW, I also check the expiration dates on the car's registration and inspection stickers before driving off with the rental vehicle.
Tanic, jalves, 1KChinito and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:29 am

Location: Stamford, CT - AA Lifetime Plat - 3MM and counting. Mosaic.
Dispute the charge

By checking the rental history on that vehicle, Avis can tell the real out miles - or within a de minimus number of miles - from the previous rental. Dispute the charge!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
You could always try to get into the Guinness Book of World Records...that would have to be a sustained driving record of some sort! ;-)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I had unlimited mileage and I had to call about a bogus fuel charge which they ended up removing, however the rep said they couldn't correct the mileage. Oh well guess its not worth pursuing any further since there is no extra charge.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:51 pm

I probably told this story but many years ago before express return I rented a car at DCA to return to BWI a few hours later. They had the incorrect mileage when I picked up the car at DCA. When I returned the car to BWI, the ending mileage was about 50 miles less than when I rented it. The counter person was perplexed about the mileage so with a straight face I told her that I drove the car in reverse the entire way.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH
I am arguing with Avis on something similar. I picked up the car from SFO on 6/16 and returned it in LAX on 6/17. When I returned the car at LAX, the check-in agent was busy and asked me to leave the car with keys inside and he will email the receipt. However, the car did not show up as returned and I got a bill for $2,300 approx. This was a pre-paid rental. After several calls and emails, Avis has refund $1,400 and another $200 is promised to be returned.

Thank God I had taken photos of the vehicle at return and also the odo reading.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:25 pm

The car I just returned may have had incorrect mileage as well. The receipt said we drove about 689 miles, where I know we went over 1,100. I think the clerk had transposed two numbers in the mileage the last time it was rented. In our case, the mileage was unlimited, so it didn't affect us.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just had another rental with similar observation... but this time the receipt says I drove almost 27000 miles in 22 hours. Amazing their system is so bad with actually tracking their odometers.
strickerj and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by rylan
Just had another rental with similar observation... but this time the receipt says I drove almost 27000 miles in 22 hours. Amazing their system is so bad with actually tracking their odometers.
Maybe it's you...
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
In my experience with Avis/Budget, on an unlimited mileage rental they don't care about the mileage at all. I have even had negative miles recorded when returning a car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.