Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 8:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: Cadillac XT4 AWD
Received: Cadillac XT4 AWD

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this car pop up as a complimentary upgrade after I landed in ORD last week. It was fun to drive!
Nice. The last Caddy I got was years ago at PHL and it was a huge 4-door old-man land yacht. First car I'd ever driven with collision avoidance and when it went off -- I brake late apparently -- with this loud rude alarm and red strobes emanating from the heads-up I was so startled I almost hit the car next to me. This incident started my long-held hatred of robot safety nannies. Been driving for decades with no at-faults, I think I know how to do this, thanks robots.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Full
Offered: Cadillac CT4 RWD
Received: Same

This has been a great upgrade. Fully loaded, including ventilated seats, wireless CarPlay/charging, and Cadillac’s excellent adaptive cruise Base engine is a turbo 4 with decent power. Only downside is the trunk is on the small side..requiring some logistics to fit three suitcases. I’d pick this again in a heartbeat.
m907 likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Booked: Full Size
Offered: Chrysler 300
Received: Chrysler 300S

Just in case any other FTers got it before I did...

Also interesting that I got a CO plated car out of the dozens of CA plated vehicles in the lot.

David
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:30 am

Booked: Convertible
Offered: Hardtop Mustang, then Land Rover Velar
Received: Land Rover Velar

I had booked a convertible for our wedding "getaway" months in advance but they only set up inventory 24-48 hours before pickup and I was told the night before there were no convertibles in the area. Only after mentioning the purpose was I offered the hardtop, then the Land Rover 5 minutes later. Probably worked out better because we needed the space to move gear to and from the reception venue/hotel.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by MASTERNC; Jun 2, 2022 at 7:37 am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Booked: Convertible
Offered: Hardtop Mustang, then Land Rover Velar
Received: Land Rover Velar

I had booked a convertible for our wedding "getaway" months in advance but they only set up inventory 24-48 hours before pickup and I was told the night before there were no convertibles in the area. Only after mentioning the purpose was I offered the hardtop, then the Land Rover 5 minutes later. Probably worked out better because we needed the space to move gear to and from the reception venue/hotel.
Not a bad deal -- congratulations (for both occasions)!

-J.
MASTERNC likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
This is a new one...

Went to my local neighborhood branch where I rent 3-4 times a year. I had a Full Size reserved, he had one older full size and nothing else and offered me to swap at the airport (3 miles away). I drove to PDX and found a shitshow of a return area with hundreds of vehicles waiting to be checked in and not an employee in sight. I went to the Preferred botth where the agent was less than thrilled to see me trying to swap a car when they couldn't get cars turned over fast enough to serve their "more than 1000" incoming reservations. But, since my car was parked in by now, they had no choice -- but would only give me a Full size and nothing else. The labor shortage is hitting Avis hard.

Upside: I'm driving a brand-new, 6 miles on the odometer, Altima. If I'm not going to get any upgrade, I might as well get to break in a new car!
Auto Enthusiast and lgormley like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Booked: Full-Size
Assigned: GMC Arcadia FWD with 19k miles. 7/8 on fuel according to app.
Received: Cancelled reservation - went with National.
So you got to the AVIS desk, and didn't get the upgrade you wanted, and you cancelled immediately without getting charged?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:39 am

Been lucky at smf to usually get an upgrade if picking the intermediate SUV, usually get standard or the big ones (I've actually requested smaller ones lately due to gas prices!)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Booked: Intermediate
Offered: Assortment of full-size cars on app, but could not select any: "sorry, it's gone, ya snooze ya lose!"
Received: Basic-... Elantra at Preferred kiosk.

Woman working the kiosk today was the most rude, hostile person I've encountered in a long time. The only word she knew was "no". Death glare. Absolutely hates her job and customers. Asked about an upgrade. "No" despite this vast sea of cars... but she did offer a Mustang for another $20/day. Uh that's not how it works.
I never file feedback, but I did for her.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:21 pm
TDV

Booked: Full size
Offered: Chrysler 300, Toyota Sienna Hybrid LE, Kia Sorento, Acura ILX, Ford Explorer XLT
Received: Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle assigned on app was the Chrysler 300. Surprised to see a Sienna Hybrid as an upgrade for no extra charge. Checked out the Sienna but it turns out to be an LE trim (cloth seats). Middle seat was dingy. Decided to take the Explorer with about 500 miles on odometer.

Acura ILX could have been a good choice but I needed room to haul things around.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by TDV
Booked: Full size
Offered: Chrysler 300, Toyota Sienna Hybrid LE, Kia Sorento, Acura ILX, Ford Explorer XLT
Received: Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle assigned on app was the Chrysler 300. Surprised to see a Sienna Hybrid as an upgrade for no extra charge. Checked out the Sienna but it turns out to be an LE trim (cloth seats). Middle seat was dingy. Decided to take the Explorer with about 500 miles on odometer.

Acura ILX could have been a good choice but I needed room to haul things around.
ILX is a last-gen Civic in a bad wig. No loss. Exploder was the right choice, or the 300.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nagpat
So you got to the AVIS desk, and didn't get the upgrade you wanted, and you cancelled immediately without getting charged?
You can just cancel in the app. I don't even talk to the desk since IAD is not a centralized terminal.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Intermediate SUV
Assigned: Nothing
Offered: Toyota 4Runner
Received: Same

SFO was a complete mess earlier this week due to the RSA conference. Nothing was assigned in the app when I landed Monday morning, and there was a line of 20+ people at the Preferred desk in the same situation. The lot was decimated, and the 4Runner was the only option available. Suffice to say, this one wasn't much better than the one I got in LAX three months ago...this one was slightly better equipped with blind spot monitoring and native GPS, but the acceleration, braking and handling remained awful.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:45 pm

Booked: Full Size
Offered: 2019 Toyota Highlander w/ 41k mi
Received: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Upon landing, was not assigned a car/could not pick a car due to needing to update DL at the Preferred counter. Given an upgrade to a Highlander. Walked out to it and tried to open the liftgate, but the power liftgate mechanism was broken so the liftgate would not open or close without brute force. Noticed a dealership sticker on the back...along with its 41,000 miles, clearly a pandemic purchase. Hopefully will go out to pasture soon. Went back to counter and received a Grand Cherokee with 7k miles.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Here's a fun one: I arrived at a western Avis, large airport station. Booked full and was pre-assigned a premium car, but asked for a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade/Expedition as I had to move some people and stuff over a long distance. Agent called the manager and they were firm that it would be $200/day for any of those, even as a CHM. 7 pax SUVs would be a lower upgrade fee but still likely 'around $100/day', and vans were not available for upgrade. I asked if I could get a full size pickup as a free upgrade. "Absolutely. Do you want a Ram, Silverado, Tundra or F150?" I walked the lot and found a relatively new Ram Limited and they happily assigned it to me. Nearly $70,000 new! The thing has everything (lowering/raising suspension, reclining/heated/cooled rear seats, power running boards, adaptive cruise, etc, etc). Crazy they wanted $200/day for a high-mileage Tahoe but gladly gave me this! It's one of my new favorite rentals.
m907, missingcolours and jdr918 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.