Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Switch to National.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
Switch to National.
Unfortunately National has the same electronic gas measurement system.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Sure sounds like a scam to me. Pretty bold of Avis to be pulling this crap. Guess they figure if they get a few people to not challenge it then they're making out.
Can't help but wonder how to avoid being charged in the first place. Is one supposed to carry a bottle of gasoline to fill up and spill some in the return queue?

Luckily for us in Europe this nonsense seems to be limited to the US.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
[Rant begins] Just completed a two day rental of a Ford Edge Ecoboost SUV at MSP (upgraded from a Full Size booking). I'm PC and rent from Avis frequently. At the end of the rental I filled the gas tank and drove 3 miles to the Avis return area. The Avis attendant simply waived me along stating that he would take care of everything and that I'd be emailed a receipt.

The receipt arrived in my email a few hours later and the total cost was about $23 more than what I'd booked. It turns out that Avis determined that the fuel tank had 0.2 gallons less in it than when I picked up the car. They proceeded to charge me $2.00 for the actual gas, plus a $16.99 Fuel Service Fee, plus various taxes on top of those for a total of almost $23 ($115 per gallon net).

Needless to say I called Avis and had the charge removed.

Just a friendly warning/lesson that maybe folks need to start overfilling their vehicles when they return at MSP. [Rant Complete]
This just happened to me yesterday. I had a car rental that was one way pickup from downtown Chicago, and return to ORD. I got gas at the gas station next to O'Hare about 2 miles away, they determined I had 0.2 gallons less too and charged me. For me it was physically impossible to match the exact gallons of gas without bringing a container of gas with me, since the pickup downtown location has gas stations within blocks, while O'Hare is a beast of an airport and me just straight shot from the closest gas station thru the airport to the rental car return ended up like this.

I'm all for using technology but they need to give some buffer for their automatic fuel detection.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Call or email and dispute the gas charge and provide them the receipt showing you filled up.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hanlong
I had a car rental that was one way pickup from downtown Chicago, and return to ORD. I got gas at the gas station next to O'Hare about 2 miles away, they determined I had 0.2 gallons less too and charged me.
But how much did you top off??? That can make a big difference. A lot of gas station pumps shut off automatically when there is still a couple of gallons or even more of room left in the gas tank. But they let you keep pumping after that automatic shut off. That automatic shut off (or the gas gauge showing it just crossed "F") doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of how much more you can fill up.

And I've actually got rebates on extra gas at least once from Avis after returning a car topped off. I can't guarantee that it happens always, but I've either gotten a rebate or no charge at all, even when I filled up miles away, since I always top off when filling.
guv1976, Auto Enthusiast and DELee like this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 5, 2022 at 6:59 pm Reason: grammar correction
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure you can fill up the tank more after it kicks off, and if you overfill then its horrible for the vapor recovery system since you essentially can flood the charcoal canister and damage the evap system.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Sure you can fill up the tank more after it kicks off, and if you overfill then its horrible for the vapor recovery system since you essentially can flood the charcoal canister and damage the evap system.
Frankly, since they’re the ones running this scam, that sounds like a them problem and not a me problem. If they want to create this sort of perverse behavior, they’ll have to deal with the consequences.
Tanic, rylan, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I got hit with this scam, and now waiting on hold with the Avis maddening music and recorded text coming on every 30 seconds saying they're sorry I have to wait so long. Up to 20 min now.

Filled up the tank, topped it off at a gas station less than a mile from the airport. Gauge was past the F, and their bogus sensor said I was 1.1 gallons short. BS
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA AAdvantage, SWA
Same thing happened to me at a neighborhood location in Hawthorne, CA. Charged me $27.09 plus tax for .7 gal. Called customer service, 7 minute call, they refunded right away, no questions asked. I started explaining the problem and the guy cut me off and said they would refund.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
A good class action suit might put an end to this nonsense.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I had a similar experience with a $22 charge for .2 gallons after topping off at the onsite gas station. I had to call to get it credited.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:42 pm

I had a similar experience today returning a 2021 Chevy Malibu. I gassed up less than 10 miles (9 miles) from the airport and pumped more even after the automatic shutoff until I could not pump anymore I drove mostly freeway the 9 miles and according to the trip computer averaged over 40mpg (yes, I drove like a old person so I didn't burn too much fuel). Got charged for 6/10 of a gallon. Called on the bus ride home and the representative said there is a chip in the fuel tank and I'm allowed 3/10 of a gallon and it showed 6/10 of a gallon. She agreed to take the ~6. charge off as a one time courtesy. Really, no one can easily totally fill the tank and the new fuel pumps make it harder. So basically, your forced to go to an airport gas station and pay a premium or risk getting charged for any larger vehicle.

Now, having said that I'd rather quibble over gas charges than be arrested and jailed :-) In all seriousness, I find Hertz to be the superior company for rentals.. a whole aisle to pick from instead of the two cars the app offers you and they have nicer cars which in my experience are marginally cleaner. However, my employer affiliation gets me a lower rates with Avis vs Hertz and I like earning 1000 AAdvantage miles per rental as a AA elite. Otherwise this nickel and diming will lead me back to Hertz.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTraveler
I had a similar experience today returning a 2021 Chevy Malibu. I gassed up less than 10 miles (9 miles) from the airport and pumped more even after the automatic shutoff until I could not pump anymore I drove mostly freeway the 9 miles and according to the trip computer averaged over 40mpg (yes, I drove like a old person so I didn't burn too much fuel). Got charged for 6/10 of a gallon. Called on the bus ride home and the representative said there is a chip in the fuel tank and I'm allowed 3/10 of a gallon and it showed 6/10 of a gallon. She agreed to take the ~6. charge off as a one time courtesy. Really, no one can easily totally fill the tank and the new fuel pumps make it harder. So basically, your forced to go to an airport gas station and pay a premium or risk getting charged for any larger vehicle.
I don't know if it's still the case with any company, but you used to be required to submit a receipt from a gas station within five (not nine) miles of your return location.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know if it's still the case with any company, but you used to be required to submit a receipt from a gas station within five (not nine) miles of your return location.
I agree. The 5 mile radius does not appear to be specified in the Avis T&C, but I expect that the person before me filled up within 3-5 miles of returning the car. I would expect to be charged if I did not do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.