Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Avis reminder emails now contain awd code check warning

Old Jun 27, 22, 9:46 am

When I logged in to my Avis account this morning, a popup appeared asking "Do you still work for, or are affiliated with, (my company name)?" I clicked Yes (still employed by said company) and it thanked me for confirming, along with telling me that I may be subject to verification.

No issues for me as I still am entitled to both business and leisure AWD use, but Avis may be stepping up checks again similar to what happened last year. I don't have any planned rentals with them until September but will report back next time I rent.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and ExAbz like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:24 am

Question - did they just look at it, or did they take a copy of your employee ID. I'm a bit concerned over HR compliance and security policies if someone has access to my ID (such as through a picture of it). ?
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by peegee5 View Post
So, did they just check your ID or take a photo of it or something. I'm a bit afraid of HR compliance laws and security policies I agreed to where I cannot give anyone my employee ID information. Just curious.
I'd suggest asking your HR Department what they want you to do when you are renting a car on company business, and the car-rental company asks to see and/or photocopy your company ID. Don't make it your problem; make it HR's.
GW McLintock and kxc262 like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I would assume a business card would suffice, no?

As for the insurance issue, if on personal business, the employer's carrier would deny the claim, and employee's auto policy would pick it up (assuming it was a short term rental and not a car that should be listed on their personal auto policy).

That doesn't mean one might be violating their companies travel policy, but it shouldn't get the company crossways with their insurer. The bigger issue comes from declining the insurance your company provides, as it may have much higher limits than yours, your personal policy may exclude business driving, etc.

If the employee doesn't have their own insurance then they better purchase it through the rental car company on personal travel.
Old Jun 29, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
As for the insurance issue, if on personal business, the employer's carrier would deny the claim, and employee's auto policy would pick it up (assuming it was a short term rental and not a car that should be listed on their personal auto policy).
Don't some of the AWDs for personal travel include the benefit of the insurance waiver? (for the rental car, not liability)
Old Jun 30, 22, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by peegee5 View Post
Question - did they just look at it, or did they take a copy of your employee ID. I'm a bit concerned over HR compliance and security policies if someone has access to my ID (such as through a picture of it). ?
The one time they checked my company ID card, they just looked at it and didn't take a photocopy

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
I would assume a business card would suffice, no?
The AWD warning in my latest confirmation email (under "Identity Verification Requirements") says a business card is sufficient (emphasis below is mine)
This reservation was made using a corporate AWD (Avis Worldwide Discount Code) that requires validation of eligibility. Please be prepared to produce your company ID, business card, or a recent email with the companys email domain (e.g. @xyzcompany.com) for employment verification purposes when picking up your vehicle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Don't some of the AWDs for personal travel include the benefit of the insurance waiver? (for the rental car, not liability)
Not sure about others, but my company's leisure AWD does not include LDW
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
My company's updated AWD for personal use does not include LDW in US but does for International; in fact, max coverage that reduces liability to zero. Not sure why the difference but works nice when taking international vacations.
Old Jul 7, 22, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by mixmastermark View Post
Do European Avis locations (either airport or local) ask for corporate ID when using an AWD rate, say in France or Italy? I suppose data points for Budget, Hertz, or National are helpful as well.
Happened to me in Santorini airport. Asked for proof of employment, took a photocopy of my business card.
Old Sep 7, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I had the pop up show up before a trip to BWI. At the airport, they never checked. When I logged in to make a new reservation yesterday, I was told that I had to enter my valid email in order to use the code. Oh well...was a nice run for a while!
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 7, 22, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by zakami View Post
Is the Amazon code still working for folks?
When I tried yesterday, asked me for a valid corporate email address.
Old Sep 7, 22, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
My corporate code now asks for an email as well. I haven't tried my old corporate code (nor my old corporate email).

I do wonder if they will accept any handle @ xxxcompanyname.com or if there's a system or database. When my old company switched to Avis I had to sign up to get my status matched; at my current firm I never had to do anything as we also use Avis.

-J.
Old Sep 20, 22, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
An interesting observation: one of my AWD codes (a corporate employees-only code) requires an email address. The other, also a corporate employees-only code, does not. It must be an option that the company selects.

-J.
Old Sep 20, 22, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I wonder if this could end up backfiring. I imagine that the assumption from Avis is that this enforcement will translate into higher revenue because of fewer discounts. But with prices as high as they are, I wonder if many people will go elsewhere rather than pay full rate.
Xyzzy and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I wonder if this could end up backfiring. I imagine that the assumption from Avis is that this enforcement will translate into higher revenue because of fewer discounts. But with prices as high as they are, I wonder if many people will go elsewhere rather than pay full rate.
I've always posited that companies actually like people using their negtiated rates because it gives them more volume with the vendor and therefore the ability to negotiate a better discount next time.
Old Sep 20, 22, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I've always posited that companies actually like people using their negtiated rates because it gives them more volume with the vendor and therefore the ability to negotiate a better discount next time.
While I'm sure that's true, Avis could lose out if renters went to other companies. If there were to be an incident during a rental, I could see how being on a company's account could also put them at risk.

-J.

Search this Thread