Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long term rental, DEN, 2022, strategy?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 6:19 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Long term rental, DEN, 2022, strategy?

We will spend 7 weeks in the Denver area in March-April 2022. What is the best strategy to rent with Avis? Would it make sense to contact the DEN office to negotiate a custom rate or is this not possible at all? Currently rates are astronomically high. Is it too early to look at them or is this due to the rental car apocalypse?

Dates: 3 March until 17 April, looking for Groups E, F, G or W.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:30 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Calling them is probably not going to be worthwhile. The best strategy is to book a pay-later rate now and track it with AutoSlash. There really isn't any value in waiting to book since you can reserve now without having to give your credit card. Rates are certainly likely to drop in the coming months, but even if they don't, by reserving ahead of time (for free), it's a hedge just in case rates rise.

By tracking the price with AutoSlash, you'll be notified anytime a better deal comes along, and since you've booked a pay-later rate, you can just cancel your old reservation without penalty and then re-book at the lower rate. Rinse, repeat.

You never know when prices will drop--sometimes it's just for a day or two. We check pricing on your reservation every day so you don't have to bother. The longer your time horizon, the more likely you are to save.

Hope this helps!
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:29 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Agree with everything Autoslash notes. I'd also suggest reserving at an off-site location or two. Should be much lower than DEN due to airport fees. And who knows what local offices could close in the next 10 months. Better to have a few reservations (not prepaid/free cancellations) to be safe.
Auto Enthusiast and AutoSlash like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:48 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Hm ok. Though booking now is pointless, even refundable pay later rates. I have no intention of paying $5k for 45 days...
Old May 18, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by florens
Hm ok. Though booking now is pointless, even refundable pay later rates. I have no intention of paying $5k for 45 days...
The point is to put a stake in the ground so you can be notified when rates drop. You can either search every day yourself or have AutoSlash do it for you. Imagine the scenario where the rate drops from $5K to to $1K for a few days and then it goes up to $2K and never comes back down. Unless you were diligently checking rates every day, you just left $1K on the table. Just sayin.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'd also suggest reserving at an off-site location or two. Should be much lower than DEN due to airport fees.
Take a look at Avis in Castle Rock (C4K). Very reasonable base rates and it is outside the DEN 25 mile perimeter in which neighborhood locations get hit with the airport fees.

Just rent a one day one way from DEN to C4K.
Auto Enthusiast and AutoSlash like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tanic
Take a look at Avis in Castle Rock (C4K). Very reasonable base rates and it is outside the DEN 25 mile perimeter in which neighborhood locations get hit with the airport fees.

Just rent a one day one way from DEN to C4K.
Thanks I will keep checking this location too, but it is also over $120/day for a small Group C car which I am simply not willing to pay.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by florens
Thanks I will keep checking this location too, but it is also over $120/day for a small Group C car which I am simply not willing to pay.
I am getting aprox $27/day all in for group C from avis.com at C4K. $29/day for group E. That is without any AWD or discounts.

In a different direction, Avis Boulder (WVC) has similar pricing and is also outside of the airport fee zone.

Auto Enthusiast and florens like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
I am getting aprox $27/day all in for group C from avis.com at C4K. $29/day for group E. That is without any AWD or discounts.
It's possible/likely that the OP is seeing different prices since his point-of-sale is Europe and Avis is likely showing insurance-inclusive rates.

florens You might want to check pricing on an OTA website like Priceline as it appears that the rates are much more competitive than direct from Avis. See here for an example with Avis and Budget is a bit less expensive.
florens likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why not buying an used car instead?
Old May 20, 2021, 12:33 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's possible/likely that the OP is seeing different prices since his point-of-sale is Europe and Avis is likely showing insurance-inclusive rates.

florens You might want to check pricing on an OTA website like Priceline as it appears that the rates are much more competitive than direct from Avis. See here for an example with Avis and Budget is a bit less expensive.
Indeed this is the difference. Though when checking with my POS for earlier dates I get decent rates, hence why I thought maybe it was too early not to look at booking direct. Given the current situation and uncertainty, I want to avoid using an OTA to book as dealing with them can be a nightmare.

I'll monitor rates regularly now.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:49 am

Denver pricing for Avis (including Castle Rock) has suddenly gone through the roof in the last week.

I was looking at April 6th to 23rd and the prices have risen by 60% since I began looking 10 days ago. I thought about trying another office like Grand Junction but they are all affected it seems.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by gavcuk
Denver pricing for Avis (including Castle Rock) has suddenly gone through the roof in the last week.

I was looking at April 6th to 23rd and the prices have risen by 60% since I began looking 10 days ago. I thought about trying another office like Grand Junction but they are all affected it seems.
And prices are likely to go much higher in the coming weeks. Demand is not slowing down (summer travel season hasn't even started yet) and new cars are not rolling off the assembly line (that darn semiconductor shortage). You think prices are high now? You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:13 am

But that isn't true if I look to alter my itinerary to LAS-PHX. It seems somewhat specific to DEN.
florens and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:58 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gavcuk
But that isn't true if I look to alter my itinerary to LAS-PHX. It seems somewhat specific to DEN.
True. I booked a Suburban for a month next year oneway from LAX to PHX at a very decent rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.