Avis in Maui (OGG) - delays for elites?

Old Mar 30, 21, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Avis in Maui (OGG) - delays for elites?

This forum doesn't seem to get a lot of action but figured I'd try asking anyways. I keep hearing about how atrocious the rental car situation is in Maui these days due to the huge spike in tourism, and the 1-2 hour long lines to pick up rental cars. What I want to know is are these lines for the average joes who don't have status or preferred profiles and have to go through the long checkout process with paperwork, etc? Are the standard processes for elite members still in place like getting preassigned a car and parking stall location? Or are there at least priority lines/lanes for members with status (President's Club for me)? I have an upcoming trip in a couple of weeks and am nervous about having to spend a few hours trying to get a car after getting into town late in the evening.
Old Apr 1, 21, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
This forum doesn't seem to get a lot of action but figured I'd try asking anyways. I keep hearing about how atrocious the rental car situation is in Maui these days due to the huge spike in tourism, and the 1-2 hour long lines to pick up rental cars. What I want to know is are these lines for the average joes who don't have status or preferred profiles and have to go through the long checkout process with paperwork, etc? Are the standard processes for elite members still in place like getting preassigned a car and parking stall location? Or are there at least priority lines/lanes for members with status (President's Club for me)? I have an upcoming trip in a couple of weeks and am nervous about having to spend a few hours trying to get a car after getting into town late in the evening.
I cannot speak to OGG, but I just returned from an HNL trip. There were no preassigned cars, or associated Preferred benefits other than a dedicated Preferred line at the standard counters. The agent explained they must check your Hawaii Safe Traveler status as part of the checkout process, requiring them to funnel everyone through the standard counters.

In my case, I only had to wait 5-10 minutes even though I flew in during "prime" HNL arrival time at 3PM, partly due to low crowds at rental counters and a dedicated Premier line.
Auto Enthusiast, Ordpc and ahr6 like this.

Last edited by rflor; Apr 1, 21 at 10:56 am Reason: Preferred, not Premier
Old Apr 1, 21, 11:39 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
I cannot speak to OGG, but I just returned from an HNL trip. There were no preassigned cars, or associated Preferred benefits other than a dedicated Preferred line at the standard counters. The agent explained they must check your Hawaii Safe Traveler status as part of the checkout process, requiring them to funnel everyone through the standard counters.
Wait a minute, is the HNL airport staff supposed to check if you are allowed into Hawaii per state rules; why is Avis HNL rechecking again? Sounds odd. I am not looking forward to this when I get to OGG later in a few month.

I rented at LGA last fall and had to queue into the general counter and was told no Preferred service due to COVID.
Ordpc and DiverDave like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by miles_navigator View Post
Wait a minute, is the HNL airport staff supposed to check if you are allowed into Hawaii per state rules; why is Avis HNL rechecking again? Sounds odd. I am not looking forward to this when I get to OGG later in a few month.

I rented at LGA last fall and had to queue into the general counter and was told no Preferred service due to COVID.
Everyone is allowed into Hawaii. Either by having pre-tested with an approved testing partner and exempt from quarantine, or if you choose not to test, then with a mandatory quarantine for 10 days. If you choose to quarantine (or have presented an unacceptable test and therefore forced to quarantine) you cannot rent a car. The car rental companies must (by law) check to see if you are exempt from quarantine and therefore allowed to rent a car. Same with hotels; they will ask to see your quarantine-exempt status as well.
Ordpc and rflor like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Everyone is allowed into Hawaii. Either by having pre-tested with an approved testing partner and exempt from quarantine, or if you choose not to test, then with a mandatory quarantine for 10 days. If you choose to quarantine (or have presented an unacceptable test and therefore forced to quarantine) you cannot rent a car. The car rental companies must (by law) check to see if you are exempt from quarantine and therefore allowed to rent a car. Same with hotels; they will ask to see your quarantine-exempt status as well.
Got it, thanks for the explanation and the heads up. I didn't think so the subtle difference if you chose to quarantine.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 21, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by rflor View Post

In my case, I only had to wait 5-10 minutes even though I flew in during "prime" HNL arrival time at 3PM, partly due to low crowds at rental counters and a dedicated Premier line.
How was the selection at HNL? I have a trip coming up, so curious if any impact from the shortage of rental cars and influx of visitors to Hawaii.
Old Apr 3, 21, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by ahr6 View Post
How was the selection at HNL? I have a trip coming up, so curious if any impact from the shortage of rental cars and influx of visitors to Hawaii.
I booked Full and was upgrade to a Wrangler as a Preferred Plus. Lots and lots of Wranglers and large SUVs as we walked through the aisles to ours. Didnít appear to be a shortage of vehicles.
ahr6 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: