Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:26 am

Reserved: Intermediate (D, Skoda Octavia)
Assigned: Renault Kadjar (E, Intermediate SUV)
Received: Seat Ateca (E)

Very consistent one-class upgrades with occasional 2+ class upgrades so far this year.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Booked: Full
Offered: Jeep Wrangler

The agent sounded almost apologetic when she asked if I would take the Jeep. I felt like I had hit the lottery, given how expensive Wranglers normally in HNL.

There were at least 10 additional ones parked in the garage.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 4:04 pm

Booked: Premium
Assigned: 2020 Impala, 40k miles.

The only other options it gave me were white Camrys, some very new. But I did better with the SIXT app and took their upgrade.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by rflor
Booked: Full
Offered: Jeep Wrangler

The agent sounded almost apologetic when she asked if I would take the Jeep. I felt like I had hit the lottery, given how expensive Wranglers normally in HNL.

There were at least 10 additional ones parked in the garage.
I've had this experience every time I go to HNL. I always end up in a Jeep Wrangler (which isn't great TBH). But their agents always seem apologetic about giving them away, even if it's a double upgrade.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 11:08 pm

Does Budget Fastbreak go here?

Turns out there is no Fastbreak at JFK- in fact no Budget at all, they just send you to the Avis lot.

Had an Intermediate SUV reservation and once again, despite a fully packed Avis lot, I was not able to choose anything. Was assigned a 2020 SantaFe with 22K miles. As has been reported elsewhere on these forums, for some reason every single Hyundai (and Kia) at rental agencies are the most base models, and this one is no exception.

For those using Avis at JFK, I can tell you the lot was full and i did see some sweet options (including a Jaguar and some brand new Lincoln SUVs)
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by NBNY424
Does Budget Fastbreak go here?

Turns out there is no Fastbreak at JFK- in fact no Budget at all, they just send you to the Avis lot.

Had an Intermediate SUV reservation and once again, despite a fully packed Avis lot, I was not able to choose anything. Was assigned a 2020 SantaFe with 22K miles. As has been reported elsewhere on these forums, for some reason every single Hyundai (and Kia) at rental agencies are the most base models, and this one is no exception.

For those using Avis at JFK, I can tell you the lot was full and i did see some sweet options (including a Jaguar and some brand new Lincoln SUVs)
which models was the Lincoln SUVs that you saw , was it the same mkt's or better than that?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:34 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: Another #%^@$(*)@*# KIA Forte.
Received: Tried to choose a different car on the app while waiting for bags and a Ford Edge popped up as a "complimentary upgrade" along with some mediocre junk like a GMC Terrrain ($upcharge!). Went to pick the Edge and my entire rental disappeared off the app. Force-killed it several times and even tried calling, but it'd completely forgotten my rental (and nobody ever picked up the phone as usual). When I got to the rental site the board showed me in A14, which I remembered was the slot for the Edge. So, a decent upgrade, far better than that awful buzzy KIA.

The Avis app still thinks I have no current rental...
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:00 am

Reserved: Intermediate (D)
Assigned: Mercedes Benz E-class (premium, F)
Received: same
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: too many
Reserved: Economy (B), Manual
Assigned: Nissan Micra (B or L), Automatic
Received: same

Didn't want a French car so the options were pretty limited. The agency told me they're limited in vehicles (they use one third of their fleet compared to pre-covid).The car was almost brand new (1000km) and automatic transmission instead of manual, so given the context I consider it an upgrade. As usual, stellar service at this location
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Reserved: Full Size
Assigned: Chrysler 300
Received: Mercedes C300
born sleepy, m907, Ordpc and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Assigned: Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Received: Took the Taco as it was brand new (had 8mi on the odo) but after a two-hour drive north kinda wish I'd tried for something else as the Taco is sluggish, thirsty, and very trucky in its ride and handling, but once more the Avis app lost my reservation somehow between the time I landed and the time I got on the rental bus, so I wasn't able to see what else might have been available. Was happy enough that I had something as the last few times at PHL there was no assignment and a long slow line at the Preferred kiosk.

Looks like PHL got a bunch of Tacos and Kia K5s (formerly the Optima) recently.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Reserved: Compact
Assigned: none via app
Received: 2020 Subaru Legacy with 4k miles. Didn't ask what else since the agent said it was fully loaded and newer. Been a good car thus far.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Assigned: Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Received: Took the Taco as it was brand new (had 8mi on the odo) but after a two-hour drive north kinda wish I'd tried for something else as the Taco is sluggish, thirsty, and very trucky in its ride and handling, but once more the Avis app lost my reservation somehow between the time I landed and the time I got on the rental bus, so I wasn't able to see what else might have been available. Was happy enough that I had something as the last few times at PHL there was no assignment and a long slow line at the Preferred kiosk.

Looks like PHL got a bunch of Tacos and Kia K5s (formerly the Optima) recently.
PHL has always given me pretty much any car from my choosing when visiting the counter, not sure if its changed now.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Reserved: Full Size (E)
Received: Dodge Challenger RT Hemi (Specialty Cars (receipt says "Cool Cars")) - Noisiest car I've ever gotten.

David
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Reserved: Full Size (E)
Received: Dodge Challenger RT Hemi (Specialty Cars (receipt says "Cool Cars")) - Noisiest car I've ever gotten.

David
It's the narcissist d-bag special! HI HI HEY HEY LOOKIT ME LOOKIT MEEEEEE HEEEEEYY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.