$150 charge for "DIRT in the Paint of the car"

Old Oct 19, 2020, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

$150 charge for "DIRT in the Paint of the car"

Yup, that's exactly how the letter reads: "Unfortunately, as we processed the vehicle that you returned to the Avis location... we discovered DIRT in the Paint of the car". Their Caps. So they're billing my CC $150...

Well... this is a fun first for me. The agent who processed the return sent me a zero balance contract closeout and then a few weeks later this letter arrived. Obviously totally bogus... the car had all kinds of imperfections which I made the agent record at the checkout exit gate and anyways... what exactly is "dirt in the paint of the car"!!

What's the best way to dispute this... with the Credit Card issuer, or Avis?

I'm concerned that any car rental company can simply start fabricating these sorts of incidents... which they obviously can't prove... and neither can the renter! Well... unless they can -- in which case I'll be interested to know how.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:51 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

You should definitely escalate with Avis before going the credit card dispute route as you could end up on Avis' Do Not Rent list by filing a CC dispute. We suggest filling out a feedback form here. Provide as much detail as possible but stick to the facts. Tell them you expect to have the charge removed ASAP.

If that doesn't work, then post publicly on Twitter. That sometimes can get a speedier resolution since companies don't like to air their dirty laundry in public. You could even post a picture of the letter with any personal information blacked out since we agree that the reason for the charge seems very strange.

Good luck!
jalves and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Oct 21, 2020 at 5:26 am
Old Oct 20, 2020, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Good call on that thanks. I simply tried the Customer Svc phone # on the letter and the agent also was puzzled, found other inconsistencies with the documentation, and immediately reversed the charge.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Good call on that thanks. I simply tried the Customer Svc phone # on the letter and the agent also was puzzled, found other inconsistencies with the documentation, and immediately reversed the charge.
Would you want to confirm the location? Always nice to have a heads up on where to be extra careful...?
BigJC likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

It was DEN but can happen anywhere... hopefully it was just a one-off and not a chronic issue at certain locations. However, I do lament the fact that those "walkarounds" of yore with the attendant marking damage and giving you a carbon copy of the inspection are long gone... especially now because of COVID. Like I mentioned, I did notice staining and blemishes all around the car at pickup and specifically made the exit gate attendant make a note of those. Only problem is that since everything's electronic, I don't know what was marked or not... and that's where that inspection hard copy would have left nothing to speculation. It's hard to challenge something without visual proof... so the next best thing to do is to take all kinds of photos and then call customer service as soon as you drive off the lot so that they can notate the record. That's what the rep who reversed the charge advised me. Anyways, apart from that little kerfuffle, everything else was perfectly professional, the vehicle was fine, as was the service both at pickup and return so no complaints.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I noticed on Monday large side window stickers announcing a $250 cleaning fee for vehicles returned with “dirt or trash.” That kind of vague, after-the-fact fee discretion isn’t right.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
All paint jobs have a clear coat, to protect the paint, from scratches

Meguires 105 will buff it out,

Autogeek.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.