Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

License expiration and DMV/DPS currently closed - Will avis be lax during these times

License expiration and DMV/DPS currently closed - Will avis be lax during these times

Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:26 am
Original Poster

My license expires in 2 weeks (4-4) so i tried to get my license renewed last week as travel was slowing down due to the coronavirus. I was turned away as soon as i got there and was handed a letter saying that Texas DPS will be closed until further notice for social distancing purposes but will get a 60 day extension for expired or soon to be expired drivers license. So technically in Texas, if my license expires, my license is still valid. But what about if i have to rent from avis in state or out of state? Anyone experiencing this or have experienced this?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:50 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Can you renew online? It seems to be possible at least in certain situations. If you have an expired license, you are likely to run into problems renting, but given the circumstances, they may be willing to be lenient. It's far from guaranteed though.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Mar 25, 2020 at 1:09 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no uniform answer. Many states have issued a formal order extending the validity of licenses and other documents. Typically, a copy of the order, when accompanied by the expired license, serves.

As always, you are at the mercy of the least competent and least informed employee at the worst-run physical location.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Can you renew online? It seems to be possible at least in certain situations. If you have an expired license, you are likely to run into problems renting, but given the circumstances, they maywilling to be lenient. It's far from guaranteed though.
Cant renew online this time around. Guessing it's time to redo the license picture.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Got my answer and expired licenses are accepted until April 30. Im assuming it will match whatever the federal guideline is incase it gets extended.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:28 pm

You shouldn't expect to be able to rent - even though technically you're correct, I distinctly remember once a car-rental agent at some airport location deny the car to the person in front of me because as the agent said "I'm not too sure, and I don't want to lose my job by overriding the system" (I think he had an overseas license which should've been valid till they got a US based one).

I'm sure the avis systems will show an "Expired" warning and you'll have to assume that the lowly agent will not override this warning no matter what.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.