Avis Prepaid & COVID-19?

Old Mar 19, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
Avis Prepaid & COVID-19?

Good morning,

Are there any reports of Avis waiving cancellation fees for prepaid rentals that need to be canceled due to COVID-19?

A week ago, an agent said, "yes, we can do that" and put me on hold for 25 minutes before another agent told me to pound sand.

I finally figured out that I could change that rental to another future rental down the road... but that's not going to work for the next round of cancellations I need to do.

Compared to Hilton's generous policy, Avis gets low marks on this. (Of course, the stock market is signaling that Avis may not survive this... but that's a different issue altogether).
Old Mar 19, 20, 9:56 am
isi

Reservation for BDL starting on Saturday, prepaid. Looked in the app and saw a $50 cancellation fee.
just called in to Avis and they offered to cancel and refund to credit card all except the cancellation fee, but to give the cancellation fee as a coupon (credit) for a future reservation.
Hopefully Avis won’t go bankrupt before I can use the credit.

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post
Good morning,

Are there any reports of Avis waiving cancellation fees for prepaid rentals that need to be canceled due to COVID-19?

A week ago, an agent said, "yes, we can do that" and put me on hold for 25 minutes before another agent told me to pound sand.

I finally figured out that I could change that rental to another future rental down the road... but that's not going to work for the next round of cancellations I need to do.

Compared to Hilton's generous policy, Avis gets low marks on this. (Of course, the stock market is signaling that Avis may not survive this... but that's a different issue altogether).
Old Mar 19, 20, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isi View Post
Reservation for BDL starting on Saturday, prepaid. Looked in the app and saw a $50 cancellation fee.
just called in to Avis and they offered to cancel and refund to credit card all except the cancellation fee, but to give the cancellation fee as a coupon (credit) for a future reservation.
Hopefully Avis won’t go bankrupt before I can use the credit.
I get that they're entirely in their rights to do this. But I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
If I didn't absolutely love my local rental counter, I'd be comparing them with other companies right now.

Did the coupon/credit have an expiration date? (And I bet it can't be stacked with other coupons, thus mitigating its value.)
Old Mar 19, 20, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is the Avis Covid-19 policy. Changing or cancelling your reservation

If you have an existing reservation, we look forward to seeing you and want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to promote a safe and secure rental experience. If you need to change a reservation, you can do so without incurring any change fees.

Reserving Flexibly

To travel with complete flexibility, choose “Pay At Counter” when making a reservation on Avis.com, and you may cancel or modify your reservation any time with no additional fees incurred.
Old Mar 20, 20, 12:28 am
isi

Originally Posted by twitch76 View Post

Did the coupon/credit have an expiration date? (And I bet it can't be stacked with other coupons, thus mitigating its value.)
Coupon subject to the following Terms & Conditions:
  • DESCRIPTION: 50USD Off Per Rental/Paperless Coupon
  • CURRENCY: Coupon is loaded in USD . *Value subject to currency exchange.
  • AWD NUMBER: MAY be used with any AWD number.
  • PARTICIPATION: Corporate/participating licensee locations in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • EFFECTIVE DATE: 12MAR19
  • EXPIRATION DATE: 31DEC20
  • TIME FRAME: May start and end on any given day.
  • ONE-WAY: Yes.
  • MIN LENGTH OF RENTAL: 1 day(s).
  • MAX LENGTH OF RENTAL: 330 days.
  • APPLICABLE CREDIT ID: All Avis honored charge cards.
  • ADVANCE RES: Yes. Customer must provide Profile Number associated with this coupon.
  • APPLICABLE CAR GROUPS: All cars.
  • BLACKOUT DATES: None.
  • AVAILABILITY: Cars subject to availability at time of reservation.
  • MAY NOT upsell car group and pay difference.
  • MAY NOT reserve a smaller car than indicated on coupon.
  • MAY receive Frequent flyer/traveler mileage/points credit.
  • MAY be used with any AWD. MAY NOT be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer.
  • TRANSFERABLE: NO. Wizard profile associated with this coupon must be used at time of reservation. Name on reservation must match name on Wizard Profile associated with coupon.
  • A maximum of 1 coupon(s) per rental.
  • Coupon may not be valid on all rates at all times.
  • This coupon can be used 1 time.
  • Reservation must be cancelled by rental date or coupon will be considered used.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Here is the Avis Covid-19 policy. Changing or cancelling your reservation

If you have an existing reservation, we look forward to seeing you and want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to promote a safe and secure rental experience. If you need to change a reservation, you can do so without incurring any change fees.

Reserving Flexibly

To travel with complete flexibility, choose “Pay At Counter” when making a reservation on Avis.com, and you may cancel or modify your reservation any time with no additional fees incurred.
Yes. I know. However, that policy specifically speaks to change fees and does not speak to cancellation fees. Avis has not, in my 5-year history, ever charged a change fee... so they really aren't doing anything at all.

On the day that I called, the policy on the website was slightly different, indicating that they were waiving prepaid cancellation fees in areas where a travel ban was in effect. They have since removed that line, and now there is nothing regarding cancellation fees.
Old Mar 22, 20, 1:24 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Avis UK let me cancel my prepaid booking for no fee. I recall they also sent out an email stating that this could be done by phoning them.
twitch76 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: