Accident-In Avis Return Area

Old Mar 8, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex PLT
Accident-In Avis Return Area

Today I was returning my car at the YOW airport. It was a F150 Truck. While returning the car, an employee began to wave me into a space.

As I pull into the space, he continues to wave, and suddenly, I hear the sound of the rear end of the truck hitting something. Unfortunately, it was the bumper of the Hyundai Sonata parked one space over.

Immediately, I hop out of the car inspect the damage, etc. The damage was entirely paint scrapes on both vehicles, no dents or anything.

The good news:

My USAA auto insurance covers accidents in Canada, so my liability won’t exceed $1,000 no matter how much they try to charge me.

The bad news:

-My AA card that I paid for the transaction with does not carry rental insurance.
-I do not feel that I should be (at least completely) liable due to the fact that an Avis employee was waving me and I thought I was safe. But ultimately, I was behind the wheel...

I described the incident in full and included the employee’s name in the accident report, and have photos of the two vehicles. However, it will ultimately be my word vs. their word. Am I just f’ed or has anyone ever had a situation like this and actually gotten off OK? Any advice on what to do?
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do you have any reason to believe that the employee will say anything different? Did you speak with him about what happened and, if so, what did he say? Did you include whatever it is that he might have said in your report?
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex PLT
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that the employee will say anything different? Did you speak with him about what happened and, if so, what did he say? Did you include whatever it is that he might have said in your report?
As I got out of the car, the employee went to get his manager and the manager immediately came outside.

I went through my version of the story, and the junior employee never directly disputed. However, given that the manager still made me fill out the accident report so I’m not entirely sure if he believed me?

I included the name of the employee in my version of the accident report and expressed profuse apologies and seemed to leave the scene on good terms. The manager said “fleet services” will contact me soon... Not sure what that means.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Avis is the worst of the big three with regards to following up on damages; this is bad for them but good for you

However, the car is your responsibility until it is returned. That means until you hop out and until they inspect it. You caused damage to it —albeit in the return area - prior to them checking the vehicle in.

I also don’t understand how it happened...most returns are into a lane with other cars in front of you and around you; did you not use the side mirrors? Were you backing into a spot?

The employee may have waved but regardless you are still driving; it doesn’t matter if you feel the employee should bear some responsibility, per the rental agreement Avis corporate won’t agree with you.

At best, they forget about it. But prepare Avis to blame you. The Manager didn’t say anything because why risk a confrontation on the lot - you jotted on the form enough to admit accountability and it’s easier to let the damage unit deal with you/your insurance anyways.

If it was truly just bumper damage on two vehicles, I would have specifically asked the Manager if they were planning on charging me, and if so settling for that $75 per bumper fee paid immediately that ends all liability on the claim.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
.....f so settling for that $75 per bumper fee paid immediately that ends all liability on the claim.
What's a $75 per bumper fee? I didn't know there was such a thing with Avis.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: