Wiki Posts
Search

Five different tire brands on one car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Five different tire brands on one car

I picked up a compact car from Avis for the weekend and have just checked the tires - all five are different brands (including the spare!). The car has done 13000 miles. Is this normal? Shouldn't they replace the tires as a set and of the same brand?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Far from normal. Tires should last far more then 13,000 miles with normal driving
Different tires can effect handling & braking. More so with different front tires left and right. Tires as front & rear pairs (L & R the same) are OK.
18 months ago I had to replace 1 tire on one of my cars. Purchased a pair (left & right) so handling would be the same
Wanderlust888 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
I picked up a compact car from Avis for the weekend and have just checked the tires - all five are different brands (including the spare!). The car has done 13000 miles. Is this normal? Shouldn't they replace the tires as a set and of the same brand?
I'm curious where this was. It wouldn't surprise me at all in Caribbean or Central American locations but would be unusual in the US, Canada, or Europe.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
I'm curious where this was. It wouldn't surprise me at all in Caribbean or Central American locations but would be unusual in the US, Canada, or Europe.
It was in the UK.

I didn't mention anything about it when I returned the car, just in case they accused me of swapping them.
While the tires on the car did seem to be in good condition, the spare looked a lot more worn.

Do regular renters usually check this sort of thing?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:55 pm

It certainly is a bit of a red flag if you saw it when picking up
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:23 am

Do regular renters usually check this sort of thing?
How do you define the term "regular renter?"

I don't own a car and I rent one about 6-8 times annually. I've been doing that for 5+ years. I've never once checked to see if the tire brands match. Until I read this thread, I never even considered it. Basically as long as they aren't flat/under-inflated, I don't care if they don't match.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
How do you define the term "regular renter?"
5 or more a year

I don't own a car and I rent one about 6-8 times annually. I've been doing that for 5+ years. I've never once checked to see if the tire brands match. Until I read this thread, I never even considered it. Basically as long as they aren't flat/under-inflated, I don't care if they don't match.
That seems reasonable, I don't want to have to check this every time either.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:41 am

That seems reasonable, I don't want to have to check this every time either.
I'd estimate that 75% of my rentals are 1 day. The remainder are 2 day rentals. Add in the fact that I have no affinity for car brands equates to me not caring much about what I'm given. As long as there's no smoke odor, I'm good.

I'd probably be worry about it a little more if I were keeping the car longer. Although, I probably still will never look at the tire brands unless I were driving in the snow.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'd probably be worry about it a little more if I were keeping the car longer. Although, I probably still will never look at the tire brands unless I were driving in the snow.
Driving in the wet (= heavy braking) is where odd unmatched tires can make a difference (for the worse)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.