2020 upgrades

Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat

Reserved: Cheapest group A - Fiat 500 or similar
Assigned: Group B - Vauxhall Corsa
Unexpectedly fun to drive, and came with Car Play/ Android Auto which was very welcome at this price. Perfectly happy with it for running around. Didn't look like it had been touched since before COVID lockdown.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Reserved: Intermediate
Assigned: not assigned anything
Checked the Avis app after landing and all that showed up were Chevy Traverse SUV's. Kept refreshing from the gate to the rental car center and nothing else popped up. Ended up taking a 2020 Traverse with 235 miles since the line at the Preferred desk was 15 people deep.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Reserved: Fullsize
Received: 2020 Jeep Gladiator. This was for a one way to PIT. I was very surprised that they had Gladiators -- it was either that or an anemic Dodge Journey.
MrGoods likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 7:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Assigned: None
Received: Picked a brand-new Honda Accord from the app. Nice car! But it looked like it had been sitting in a parking lot for months, very dirty windows and tons of leaves in the valley between hood and windshield.

Assigned: I forget. Something dull.
Received: Picked a Camry from the app, but it stank of cigarettes, took an Optima. I hate smokers!
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Assigned: Ford Ecosport 4WD SUV
Kept checking the app and all of the options coming up were older SUV's with 30-40k miles. I've usually had decent luck with getting better options on the app, but I wonder if because I was dropping off the car at another location I was getting higher mileage options. The Ecosport only had 2,000 miles and has good features so it hasn't been bad, but trying to get up to speed on the interstate is a bit of a challenge.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, Melia, Avis
Reserved: Group D - Nissan Qashqai or similar
Assigned: Nothing - used the app
Received: Mercedes E220D
It was nicer than a Nissan and I was very grateful for the upgrade with my lack of status, but Mercedes are not what they were. Much prefer an Audi or BMW.

Last edited by High Grade; Sep 9, 2020 at 2:51 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Reserved: Group I - Golf automatic or similar
Assigned: n/a
Received: Mercedes A200d AMG (not sure of the group for this but was told it was an upgraded one).

Great car to drive and definitely an improvement on the Golf.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:29 am

Assigned: Assigned 2020 Mazda CX-5
Checked the Avis app after landing - had a 2020 4Runner and a 2019 Traverse. Kept the Mazda since I'm a big fan of them.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 8:46 am

Reserved: Compact
Assigned: no assignment in app - went to Preferred Desk
Location barely had any cars in the lot - was assigned a 2019 Nissan Rogue at the desk. Didn't ask about any other options because the lot was empty at the time.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: National Exec, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, TR Diamond
FLL

Booked: Full Size
Assigned: Mazda 6
Received: 2020 Yukon Denali XL

Other swap options were two Tahoes. The assigned vehicle was laughable but surprised it gave me an option for this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: too many
Booked: Midsize group D (Nissan Quashqai manual)
Assigned: Group E Nissan Quashqai automatic
Received: Same

Small location and during lockdown had a limited number of cars available (the other 2 cars on the lot were a Toyoha C-HR and a Renault Twingo), so I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to get me an upgrade. Stellar service at this location, and the car was perfect for my needs.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Booked: Full Size
Assigned: N/A (must show pink COVID slip to be assigned a car)
Received: 2018 GLE350 RWD with 20k

Inside operations were moved to preferred desk outside due to COVID I believe. Had to wait 30min after UA and AA were nice enough to send a 77W/77E to OGG at the same time while Preferred desk was used for all pax.

The MB was a really nice SUV, was great for exploring Maui.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Reserved: Luxury
Assigned: Mercedes C300
Received: 2020 Range Rover Velar with 11.5k miles on the clock!

Pretty much a walk-up to the counter after National had nothing. Hertz would not let me book (Sold out). Agent initially offered a C300 after luxury was sold out. Ask for something bigger (saw a Range Rover) and asked if I could take that, but counter agent said no. Was then offered a Pathfinder (said no), was then offered a Velar (same car I asked initially). Was confused, but no rate change so took the contract before she decided to change her mind. Car had 12 PSI on one tire and a missing exterior door handle piece. Pumped up air and car was good to go! Pretty much my only upgrade ever at SFO.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:47 am

Reserved: Intermediate (group D) - e.g. Skoda Octavia
Assigned: Full size wagon (group N) - Volvo XC60 (automatic, Diesel, navigation) with 8 km on the clock
Received: Same.
Did not ask for other options, although they had at least a dozen other cars in the garage at the time.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:49 pm

Reserved: Intermediate (group D) - e.g. Skoda Octavia
Assigned: Nothing assigned on arrival.
Received: Premium special (group F) - Volvo V90

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.