Why is there a premium to rent for 3 weeks?

Old Dec 10, 19, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Why is there a premium to rent for 3 weeks?

At Malaga airport next year in May strange pricing I think. It's almost double the 2 week price for 3 weeks yet the weekly price for each individual week is the same so it's not a demand issue. Contacted both BA and Avis and there is no logical explanation, they suggest doing 2 rentals but can't guarantee I wouldn't have to return it after the first 2 weeks, would be ridiculous going back to the airport. You would think it would be cheaper possibly to hire for longer not more expensive. Any ideas?
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
No ideas why.

Would using an off-airport location save money?
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:36 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Car rental pricing is often not logical. The reasons for this are many, and sometimes even varying your pickup and/or return times can change the price by tens or even hundreds of dollars, but asking customer-facing rental company employees for an explanation is almost always an exercise in frustration. A couple of additional comments:

1. Rental pricing can change often. We'd recommend making separate reservations--one for the entire rental period, and then, additional separate rentals for however it prices out lowest. Then track all those rentals with AutoSlash. May is almost half a year away which in car rental terms is a long time. It's almost a certainty that prices will change in the coming months.

2. You will absolutely have to return to the airport to close out one rental and sign a contract for the next one if you have multiple rentals. You may be able to keep the same vehicle, but you will have to physically return to take care of the paperwork. Anyone who tells you different is either misinformed or misleading you.
m907 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I've been tracking prices already for a couple of weeks, I'd like to book it soon as it will be with a BA flight. I would think the prices might increase being May is holiday season and there are 2 UK bank holidays in that period. Agree not taking the risk of 2 rentals, petrol and time driving it back would negate any savings. It's just annoying if you could speak to someone sensible in management they would understand!
Old Dec 10, 19, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Thanks, I've been tracking prices already for a couple of weeks, I'd like to book it soon as it will be with a BA flight. I would think the prices might increase being May is holiday season and there are 2 UK bank holidays in that period. Agree not taking the risk of 2 rentals, petrol and time driving it back would negate any savings. It's just annoying if you could speak to someone sensible in management they would understand!
Many car rentals allow you to cancel without penalty and re-book if a better deal comes along. Is there any reason why you feel you need to book your rental along with your flight? Again, going back to the irrationality of rental pricing, don't assume that just because it's a bank holiday in the UK that this will impact rates in Malaga. While it could have some effect, many other things can also have an effect, possibly in the opposite direction. Your best bet is to keep your options open with regard to the rental. Prices can even drop the day before pickup.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I get bonus Avios points I think if booking flight at the same time and also only pay a small deposit, so in this instance I couldn't cancel it. I just thought Malaga area is popular with the Brits so if there are bank holidays demand will be high.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:10 pm

You really need to understand exactly the value of the bonus points you will be receiving and whether it actually makes sense. If you get a value of 25 GPB in Avios points but end up paying 50 GBP more and get locked in, you may be better off booking somewhere else that not only offers better rates but has more favorable terms. Not saying the extra Avois points aren't a good deal--just that you have to be an informed consumer and look at it holistically.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Agree with what you're saying but we also need the additional driver that BA offer and booking Avis directly doesn't include that so that adds extra cost too. I'm just peeved as the pricing algorithm seems wrong.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Similar to most non-commoditized products, the seller's goal is to maximize value for their product, not work on a cost-plus model. They know there is a cost associated with bringing the car back to swap out and price their rentals accordingly. Unfortunately, it works against us travelers frequently, but that's how it works.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:07 am

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Agree with what you're saying but we also need the additional driver that BA offer and booking Avis directly doesn't include that so that adds extra cost too. I'm just peeved as the pricing algorithm seems wrong.
Use the BA AWD on the Avis website on a flex booking (Pay at location) and you'll be fine re bonus Avios and second driver. that's what I do every time without fail.
(EDIT: Also works best if you have your BAEC number in the booking or in your profile ;- ) )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: