FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Avis/Budget ďDo Not Rent ListĒ Help! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/1997580-avis-budget-do-not-rent-list-help.html)

Matt4200 Nov 30, 19 3:56 pm

Avis/Budget ďDo Not Rent ListĒ Help!

Found out a week ago I was added to the DNR list.

The agent at the counter gave me the Agreement number that was listed on the complaint along with a phone number. Since it was the weekend I called the general customer service and they checked and said I am on the list and to email [email protected] I emailed them and got an automated response saying they received the message. I then called in on Tuesday to see exactly what I was on the list for, as no one knew. The lady over the phone said for ďCoupon MisuseĒ and advised me which location added me to the DNR.

I immediately emailed the [email protected] again this time with further information.

They e-mailed back a little bit annoyed, we are researching this. Thatís all.

So hereís background:

I am a partner in a business, we get rental certificates every quarter and partners can use them for travel as long as they have some type of billable business going on (meeting, dinner, etc.). Well Iíve gone to the same rental location a few times and itís a franchised location. I used 7 rental certificates with Avis which ended up with me paying only the taxes and fees which were charged to my business card with the Companyís name on it. Iíve done this over a dozen times all across the US and have never had an issue. Completely out of the blue the owner of this location adds me to the DNR list for ďCoupon MisuseĒ, but the coupons and certificates are issued to the business and I even pay with the business credit with the companyís name on it!

The situation makes no sense at all, and the girl at the counter even pulled up the contract listed on the DNR complaint and said everything looks normal on it.

Its been over a week since I sent in the initial email with it seems no progress.

Any advice on where to go from here? I travel a good amount for business and our company switched over to Avis/Budget because of negotiated pricing, coupons and the rental certificates.

Often1 Nov 30, 19 4:27 pm

Researching these issues gets a low priority. If you hear back in <90 days, be glad. There is nothing you can do to speed this along and, as you have seen, repeated contacts on the same topic do you no favors.

Auto Enthusiast Nov 30, 19 6:50 pm

Switch your company to National, and provide a clear explanation why?

missingcolours Nov 30, 19 7:33 pm

If you have negotiated rates, presumably whoever handles those type of travel contracts for your company has a corporate contact that could expedite resolution of the issue.

storewanderer Nov 30, 19 10:44 pm

I don't think a franchise location can just up and add you to the do not rent list... that is not how it works. The franchise location had to suggest adding you to this list for this supposed fraudulent activity and someone at the corporate end agreed with them and added you to it.

It appears to me the franchise location got tired of giving you free rentals and opted to do something to add you to the do not rent list. Definitely not the best way to go about doing things. I would contact Avis executives immediately if you are comfortable with what you did and truly do not think you did ANYTHING wrong (e.g. those coupons were in your name and rightfully yours to use and there was absolutely nothing funny or questionable going on).

Like, are you in Avis system as a "partner?" Are the coupons for Bob Smith and say "non transferrable" and you are Jim Jones using them?

A different approach would have been for the franchise location to simply deny you the use of the coupons, but then you would go complain to corporate because they should not be denying corporate issued coupons (at least, I would if I were you) and then the franchise would get in trouble. Instead the franchise somehow turned this on its head and made you get in trouble instead, and worse, made you lose rental ability throughout this Avis/Budget/Payless network. Again if you truly do not believe you did anything wrong, push this up quickly to executive management and frankly this franchise who wrongfully added you do the do not rent list (along with whoever at corporate approved doing so) should be in some real hot water.

Matt4200 Nov 30, 19 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31791236)
Researching these issues gets a low priority. If you hear back in <90 days, be glad. There is nothing you can do to speed this along and, as you have seen, repeated contacts on the same topic do you no favors.

90 days that is absurd.

Originally Posted by missingcolours (Post 31791631)
If you have negotiated rates, presumably whoever handles those type of travel contracts for your company has a corporate contact that could expedite resolution of the issue.

Just e-mailed them, but havenít spoken to the since late 2018.

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 31791926)
I don't think a franchise location can just up and add you to the do not rent list... that is not how it works. The franchise location had to suggest adding you to this list for this supposed fraudulent activity and someone at the corporate end agreed with them and added you to it.

It appears to me the franchise location got tired of giving you free rentals and opted to do something to add you to the do not rent list. Definitely not the best way to go about doing things. I would contact Avis executives immediately if you are comfortable with what you did and truly do not think you did ANYTHING wrong (e.g. those coupons were in your name and rightfully yours to use and there was absolutely nothing funny or questionable going on).

Like, are you in Avis system as a "partner?" Are the coupons for Bob Smith and say "non transferrable" and you are Jim Jones using them?

A different approach would have been for the franchise location to simply deny you the use of the coupons, but then you would go complain to corporate because they should not be denying corporate issued coupons (at least, I would if I were you) and then the franchise would get in trouble. Instead the franchise somehow turned this on its head and made you get in trouble instead, and worse, made you lose rental ability throughout this Avis/Budget/Payless network. Again if you truly do not believe you did anything wrong, push this up quickly to executive management and frankly this franchise who wrongfully added you do the do not rent list (along with whoever at corporate approved doing so) should be in some real hot water.

When I called the ďCorporate SecurityĒ department they said that X person from X location added me to the list, not that they recommended adding me.

I honestly do not feel like anything was done improperly. The coupons were issued to the business which I am a partner in, I have a business credit card with my name and the business name on it (which I forwarded to them via email). Is there any executive department to speak to? Or only the ďCorporate SecurityĒ department who handles the DNR list?

I feel really violated, I literally rented a car on 11/21 to be returned on 11/23, on 11/23 I returned the car then flew out to Los Angeles tried to rent a car and was denied being told Iím on the Do Not Rent List. Imagine being in a city thatís not your home and being essentially stranded.

As far as the franchisee I really do feel like he felt like by using the Certificates we had we cut into his bottom line and by adding me to the DNR he resolves his issue. Thatís a terrible way to go about business and I just donít understand how someone could do that. Itís one thing to ask you to go to another location, but adding you to a nationwide list so youíre banned from renting altogether thatís ludicrous.

IAHtraveler Dec 1, 19 12:28 pm

Is the location in question close to you or easy to get to? Maybe worth going to that location and asking what's up.

Also, care to share the location so the rest of us know to never visit it?

Matt4200 Dec 1, 19 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 31793429)
Is the location in question close to you or easy to get to? Maybe worth going to that location and asking what's up.

Also, care to share the location so the rest of us know to never visit it?

From me right now itís really far. Iím in Los Angeles with family, Iím not quite sure how Iím getting a car to go back to the airport or home from the airport when I land though as that was the initial plan.

But once Iím back in Minneapolis itís fairly close, Iíve been there a good amount of times but never once have I seen the owner there. I even called there since Iím pretty friendly with the counter agent and asked what happened, he had no idea what had happened.

The location is Roseville, MN

storewanderer Dec 1, 19 8:16 pm

So to get one thing sorted out, this is a corporate location, not a licensee...

It could be an agency location... the way the agency works is they get the corporate fleet then get a % commission on each vehicle they rent to you. So if you are using a bunch of zero rental coupons, the agency is not getting any cut, and likely does not want to help you... not saying this is right, but seems to be the situation. Since the agency locations are overseen by the same area/district manager as corporate locations, figuring out who that is may be another avenue to take.

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/mn/roseville/avr1m

Matt4200 Dec 1, 19 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 31794594)
So to get one thing sorted out, this is a corporate location, not a licensee...

It could be an agency location... the way the agency works is they get the corporate fleet then get a % commission on each vehicle they rent to you. So if you are using a bunch of zero rental coupons, the agency is not getting any cut, and likely does not want to help you... not saying this is right, but seems to be the situation. Since the agency locations are overseen by the same area/district manager as corporate locations, figuring out who that is may be another avenue to take.

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/mn/roseville/avr1m

Definitely a new direction. Still a bad way to go about business though, honestly if he wouldíve asked me to just go to another location with them I would have, but they are valid and issued to the business I work at.

Thanks for looking up that info. I emailed our corporate contact if we donít hear back from him we will try out the District Manager.

Matt4200 Dec 2, 19 12:23 pm

So our corporate contact got this response:

Good morning XXX Ė we were sent a DNR request for XXXXXX as well as XXXXX for coupon fraud. I have asked for further information on this issue with the managers copied on this email. Apparently XXXXX as well as XXXXX are renting vehicles for a week and only pay a small amount for their rentals so it would appear as though it may be coupon fraud although XXXXX is disputing that.

XXXXXXXXX Ė please respond with backup for this issue please so that XXXXXXXX (sales rep) can respond as well.

Another thing is the phone Number Corporate gave me for the individual linked back to Avisís whole Minneapolis region, not just an individual person. Is this normal? I also had our travel liaison reach out to our corporate travel contact at Avis/Budget to ask if the location is indeed an agency location.

Thoughts?

ĒSo it would appear as though it may be coupon fraudĒ

Uhm...I used the Free Rental Day Certificates issued to the business, if you use 7 of them thatís a week free, you still pay the taxes and fees though. Does their corporate not know this exists?

storewanderer Dec 3, 19 11:13 pm

Sounds about right. Location got tired of giving away free rentals. Tough luck. Location is Avis and if Avis wants to issue free day coupons, the location is obligated to accept said coupons.

If there was an issue with the coupons, the location should not have accepted the coupons and the Avis computer should have rejected said coupons.

I don't see how it is coupon fraud to use Avis coupons.

"so it would appear as though it may be coupon fraud"

Wow, so you can get on the Do Not Rent list for something that "would appear as though it may be?"

This is really poor form on the part of Avis and they should be quite embarrassed.

I suggest contacting Avis upper management. Some people need to be disciplined.

Matt4200 Dec 3, 19 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 31802730)
Sounds about right. Location got tired of giving away free rentals. Tough luck. Location is Avis and if Avis wants to issue free day coupons, the location is obligated to accept said coupons.

If there was an issue with the coupons, the location should not have accepted the coupons and the Avis computer should have rejected said coupons.

I don't see how it is coupon fraud to use Avis coupons.

"so it would appear as though it may be coupon fraud"

Wow, so you can get on the Do Not Rent list for something that "would appear as though it may be?"

This is really poor form on the part of Avis and they should be quite embarrassed.

I suggest contacting Avis upper management. Some people need to be disciplined.

Exactly, it seems like since it appears one way, even though they have no fully researched it, theyíll add you to the list. Then when you show them that they were issued to a business and you actually work at that business theyíre really slow to admit they were wrong and fix it.

Iím still waiting to hear back from them, over the phone rep said expect a response within 10 business days from 11/26 which if Iíve proven everything and sent over documentation I have no idea how they canít see that and just fix it.

m907 Dec 4, 19 11:16 am

I think you've spent too much time on this already. If Avis allows a single agency to add you to the DNR list because they don't like your legitimate use of rewards, then why do business with them? Switch to another rental company; problem solved.

Matt4200 Dec 4, 19 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by m907 (Post 31804735)
I think you've spent too much time on this already. If Avis allows a single agency to add you to the DNR list because they don't like your legitimate use of rewards, then why do business with them? Switch to another rental company; problem solved.

Honestly I would, but we have Free Rental Certificates good through May 2020, plus the business has negotiated rates that beat out Hertz or Enterprise.