Avis/Budget “Do Not Rent List” Help!

Old Dec 4, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Matt4200 View Post
Honestly I would, but we have Free Rental Certificates good through May 2020, plus the business has negotiated rates that beat out Hertz or Enterprise.
This is the problem, when you need to use Avis because your employer has a contract with them... if someone with enough power catches wind of this and threatens to cancel the contract with Avis, maybe something would happen. But I am guessing the employer wants this contract since it provides rates that beat the competition... if it was personal travel or you were the owner of the business, of course you'd take your business elsewhere. But when that decision isn't within your control, you end up needing to continue using Avis.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
This is the problem, when you need to use Avis because your employer has a contract with them... if someone with enough power catches wind of this and threatens to cancel the contract with Avis, maybe something would happen. But I am guessing the employer wants this contract since it provides rates that beat the competition... if it was personal travel or you were the owner of the business, of course you'd take your business elsewhere. But when that decision isn't within your control, you end up needing to continue using Avis.
Exactly!

I’ve looked at the numbers and our business spends about 200k annually with Avis/Budget which gave us a great deal. We’ve had some issues with them, but we’re easily saving 20k a year with them over Hertz/Enterprise.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:51 pm

Exactly!

I’ve looked at the numbers and our business spends about 200k annually with Avis/Budget which gave us a great deal. We’ve had some issues with them, but we’re easily saving 20k a year with them over Hertz/Enterprise.
Tough to trust them when they can just on a whim put someone on a DNR list because some agency does not like accepting Avis coupons (then don't sign up to be an Avis agency if you don't want to take the coupons...).

Maybe they need to have some sort of master contract that ties individual users to the individual corporate customer to prevent this sort of thing from happening so easily...
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
Tough to trust them when they can just on a whim put someone on a DNR list because some agency does not like accepting Avis coupons (then don't sign up to be an Avis agency if you don't want to take the coupons...).

Maybe they need to have some sort of master contract that ties individual users to the individual corporate customer to prevent this sort of thing from happening so easily...
I wish they did, I sent them proof of employment and even the bottom portion of my Employee Credit Card which I pay with. It has my name and the business name below it. If that’s not proof of affiliation with the business I don’t know what is at all.
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
I assumed that franchise locations got reimbursed for coupons/point redemptions/etc, similar to when a franchise restaurant accepts a gift card and is reimbursed by corporate for it.

The whole situation is very odd. Especially that a local franchise would be hurt so much by the coupons that they'd throw someone on the DNR list, especially someone who obviously works for a corporation that rents enough to get stacks of coupons and would (presumably) have a contact at corporate to reach out to when a location overreaches. I know we've only heard one side, but if this is true, I'd hope Avis takes firm action against the franchise.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
I assumed that franchise locations got reimbursed for coupons/point redemptions/etc, similar to when a franchise restaurant accepts a gift card and is reimbursed by corporate for it.

The whole situation is very odd. Especially that a local franchise would be hurt so much by the coupons that they'd throw someone on the DNR list, especially someone who obviously works for a corporation that rents enough to get stacks of coupons and would (presumably) have a contact at corporate to reach out to when a location overreaches. I know we've only heard one side, but if this is true, I'd hope Avis takes firm action against the franchise.
I feel like it is a very odd situation, I’m not understanding why if they had an issue they didn’t reach out to me prior to sending me to the DNR list.

Our contact at corporate isn’t an executive though it’s just a sales rep for their corporate rental contract. He appears to know enough to have gotten a response within a couple hours though which shows something.

I hope so as well, this isn’t a pleasant situation.
Old Dec 5, 19, 10:44 pm

Agency locations are not the same thing as a franchise location.

Not sure how it works with franchise locations.

Agency locations get a commission as a percentage of the base rental rate. Agency locations do not control their pricing, the corporate Avis system does that. Coupons reduce the base rate, therefore reducing the commission to the agent. The agent is paying the money for the labor to clean the cars and of course paying themselves and their employees if they have any to be in the location. The real estate of the location and the fleet of vehicles and computer system provided is all by Avis Corporate.

Franchise locations are a different ball game entirely.
Old Dec 17, 19, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Called in to their “Corporate Security” Department today to check the status apparently I was removed from the DNR on the 10th. No one called, emailed or sent a letter to that effect though. I asked if there were any notations as to why or what had happened the CSR said no, all she could see was the date I was added to the list and the day I was removed nothing more.

Happy to be off the list, definitely will be staying away from those specific agency locations and advising associates to as well.
Old Jan 1, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS DL
How long is a DNR list kept?

I recently saw a former colleague that was said to be on an Avis DNR list 25 years ago. It seems that there was damage to a car due to skidding into a ditch while driving on an icy road. Avis claims that a report was not filed in a timely manner.

I don't really need to know the answer but I'm curious. They colleague moved to another state so presumably has a driver's license from another state. I don't know if the colleague uses the same credit cards but I do not use the same credit cards as 25 years ago. I have a Discover card and Chase Freedom card from that era but use them only for limited purposes, Discover for personal, non-business use when the category has a bonus and Chase Freedom for one specific business project to make it easy to tabulate expenses.
Old Jan 1, 20, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
How long is a DNR list kept?

I recently saw a former colleague that was said to be on an Avis DNR list 25 years ago. It seems that there was damage to a car due to skidding into a ditch while driving on an icy road. Avis claims that a report was not filed in a timely manner.

I don't really need to know the answer but I'm curious. They colleague moved to another state so presumably has a driver's license from another state. I don't know if the colleague uses the same credit cards but I do not use the same credit cards as 25 years ago. I have a Discover card and Chase Freedom card from that era but use them only for limited purposes, Discover for personal, non-business use when the category has a bonus and Chase Freedom for one specific business project to make it easy to tabulate expenses.
The list is for life I believe.

But I have found that if you get a DL in another state (since the list is done via your DL #) the ban does not appear when renting. Kind of a loophole.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
The list is for life I believe.

But I have found that if you get a DL in another state (since the list is done via your DL #) the ban does not appear when renting. Kind of a loophole.
Shocking that a new state DL works. I'd have figured the DNR list was by name/DOB as well, as it's extremely rare that would match another person.
Old Jan 1, 20, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Shocking that a new state DL works. I'd have figured the DNR list was by name/DOB as well, as it's extremely rare that would match another person.
Same, but Avis/Budget does theirs via DL#. In some ways it’s smart because no matter what you cannot get a new DL Number from the state you live in. I called in several times and the way they always pulled it up was via DL# and state. Then I really needed a rental and had an old DL almost expired from another state presented it before being removed from DNR and it worked. Was keeping it to myself as it’s a loophole for an emergency.
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
You must not deal with big data much. Name and DOB matches are not that rare. There will be more Robert Smith's and Jose Sanchez's born on 01/01/80 than you think.
Joonydell likes this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 9:22 pm

Post Anyone try new license # to get off dnr?

Hey all, new to the forums but have been reading for years!

So here's my question, has anyone actually tried to get a new license # and rented a car from an agency where they were previously on the DNR list?
I currently hold Avis President's Club status and I was thrown on the DNR due to excessive mileage on a vehicle that wasn't a connected car. (turned out to be miskeyed by return agent)
anyhow, as I rent so often from the same location over the years, I basically know everyone - high and low, when I found out about the DNR one of the assistant managers made a comment of "well at least you didn't wreck the car, skip out and come back with a new license number" - to which I asked, does that really work? she replied, "if you do it right, and stay under the radar the security department won't know, people do it all the time when they 'accidentally' drive our car's into Mexico".

Long story short, supposedly it's possible if you're smart about it, but I just wanted to gauge how many people have done it (with which agencies) and what steps they took.
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by lebandito View Post
Hey all, new to the forums but have been reading for years!

So here's my question, has anyone actually tried to get a new license # and rented a car from an agency where they were previously on the DNR list?
I currently hold Avis President's Club status and I was thrown on the DNR due to excessive mileage on a vehicle that wasn't a connected car. (turned out to be miskeyed by return agent)
anyhow, as I rent so often from the same location over the years, I basically know everyone - high and low, when I found out about the DNR one of the assistant managers made a comment of "well at least you didn't wreck the car, skip out and come back with a new license number" - to which I asked, does that really work? she replied, "if you do it right, and stay under the radar the security department won't know, people do it all the time when they 'accidentally' drive our car's into Mexico".

Long story short, supposedly it's possible if you're smart about it, but I just wanted to gauge how many people have done it (with which agencies) and what steps they took.
If your DNR was actually because the agent entered the mileage wrong, that should be a relatively easy fix. How long ago was it?
IAHtraveler likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: