Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Preferred Select & Go Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Avis Preferred Select & Go Questions

I have been renting with National and enjoy their Emerald Aisle program. You pay for a midsize. You can then select any car in the Aisle. There are a combination of midsized cars and typically upgraded cars (generally larger cars or small SUV's, occasionally pickups, sometimes minivans). As an example, in Boston this week, I paid for a midsize but drove a Nissan Rogue.

I am now with a new company that has pretty good rates through Avis. I just did an Avis Preferred profile and see they have a Select & Go option. How does that work? Is it similar to the National program where I can select a larger vehicle for the same price?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:51 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Avis Select & Go is not nearly as good as National's Emerald Aisle or even Hertz Ultimate Choice. Basically the way it works is that they pre-assign you a vehicle and then you can use their mobile app to choose from alternate vehicles. The problem is that what the app usually serves up as alternates is extremely limited and/or unappealing, so it's definitely a YMMV situation, but on the whole, it's a huge step down from National or Hertz. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and kxc262 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Avis Select & Go is not nearly as good as National's Emerald Aisle or even Hertz Ultimate Choice. Basically the way it works is that they pre-assign you a vehicle and then you can use their mobile app to choose from alternate vehicles. The problem is that what the app usually serves up as alternates is extremely limited and/or unappealing, so it's definitely a YMMV situation, but on the whole, it's a huge step down from National or Hertz. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Did this change or did you give incomplete information?

According to this thread from a couple years ago:

AVIS Preferred Select & Go

you could just show up and select from any Exchange cars in the Select & Go row. No need to select ahead of time (on an app or otherwise). Are you saying that the app is now the only way to use Select & Go?

I like to examine the car I'm selecting, so to me having to select only on an app would be a step down from being able to inspect all the cars in the Select & Go row and pick the one that works best for me.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did this change or did you give incomplete information?

According to this thread from a couple years ago:

AVIS Preferred Select & Go

you could just show up and select from any Exchange cars in the Select & Go row. No need to select ahead of time (on an app or otherwise). Are you saying that the app is now the only way to use Select & Go?

I like to examine the car I'm selecting, so to me having to select only on an app would be a step down from being able to inspect all the cars in the Select & Go row and pick the one that works best for me.
You still have the option to use the app or choose in person. Autoslash is just saying that the Select and Go choices suck because it is not a full aisle like National/Hertz.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It's like the first incarnation of Gold Choice with Hertz. Only several spots with generally mediocre cars.

-J.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
I feel as though there may be some upgrades to this coming down the road. I haven’t saved them, but MCI has been emailing me about enhancements to Select -and-Go. I’m not flying out of there in a while, so I didn’t really pay attention to them,
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:55 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've seen more and more locations skipping the S&G option (either the aisle is empty, or just has upgrades in it) as Avis is relying on folks to use the app to pick a vehicle. Makes more sense to not have to move the cars to a specific row, just update the info in the system.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I've seen more and more locations skipping the S&G option (either the aisle is empty, or just has upgrades in it) as Avis is relying on folks to use the app to pick a vehicle. Makes more sense to not have to move the cars to a specific row, just update the info in the system.
I suppose, but the app always shows pretty mediocre options IME. I have never actually rented from an Avis IIRC that had a S&G aisle.

Clearly Hertz and National saw value in the physical aisle. National has some issues with it especially when inventory is low, more so than Hertz it seems.

-J.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:03 pm

Avis Preferred at LAX

Hi guys,

Going to LA in a couple of weeks and wondered if Avis has a nice Select and Go section there. Has someone already experienced their fleet in 2023?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 6:14 pm

Anyone experienced that it appears to be really rare to have pickup on site in Canadian Airport?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by CarryShow
Anyone experienced that it appears to be really rare to have pickup on site in Canadian Airport?
Really? I've rented at YYZ, YUL and YEG in the past few months and all are on-site.

Originally Posted by Besha
Hi guys,

Going to LA in a couple of weeks and wondered if Avis has a nice Select and Go section there. Has someone already experienced their fleet in 2023?
Avis no longer has S&G. They've replaced it with picking a car through the app (which is hit or miss). Some sits still have signage but it's not actually a thing anymore.
Auto Enthusiast and sdsearch like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Avis no longer has S&G. They've replaced it with picking a car through the app (which is hit or miss). Some sits still have signage but it's not actually a thing anymore.
Really? So they don't maintain sections anymore dedicated for S&G? Can you then pick any car you want within the group or how does that work now and do you have good experiences with that?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I can't find anything on the website any more about select & go so seems this is correct. Also had a rental at an airport that used to be select and go and I was assigned a car ahead of time with some mediocre alternate selections in the app. Its really sub-par by a significant amount compared to the competition that lets you pick a car from the lot. Don't know why Avis rejected this idea.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 7:09 pm

Moderator's Note - Closing this thread as Select & Go is gone from Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.