Wiki Posts
Search

New to avis: Change Rental Dates Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
New to avis: Change Rental Dates Question

Hi - Have a basic question on the flexibility of changing my rental return date on an on-going reservation, and impact to rate/cost.

On Hertz perspective, changing rental date was extremely easy. If returning early, I could just drop the car off early, and my rate would be updated to reflect as if my original rental was for that time period (i.e. a 2 month rental may have had a multi-month discount applied, but if I returned 1 week early, I would have been charged 1 month + 3 weeks). If extended my rental, I could call either the rental location directly or their 800 Reservation line, and rentals could be easily extended with no convenience cost.

At Avis, when reading their policy, they say on early rentals my rates could change... which I get, but is the change similar to the Hertz example described above? I know some other rental companies also charge an early return fee -- does Avis do that? In terms of extending my rental, their policy says a $10 convenience fee is charged. In practice, do they actually charge that? If I call the local rental location, can they potentially extend without charging the fee? (The customer side of me feels that they should be grateful I want to keep their car longer, instead of charging me to do so!)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

When booking your car at Avis.com, on step 3 "Rental Options", expand the "Modify/View Rental Details" and look under "Rate Terms". If your new rental still falls under these terms, then you'll just be charged the time/mileage for when you have the car. However, if you need to modify and it's outside of these terms, then you're blindly on the hook for whatever rate they want to throw at you. The only exception is if you're on a corporate rate, then you'll follow those rules. A local agent can offer more options than the app, but they aren't obligated to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.