Wiki Posts
Search

Excessive re-fueling charge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Angry Excessive re-fueling charge

Hi All,

I recently rented a Mustang from Miami airport for one week. As it was my first 'preferred' booking I had to visit the rental counter. The lady at the desk suggested I pre-purchase a tank of fuel so that I didn't need to fuel the car before dropping it off. I asked her about the price of doing so and was assured emphatically that the price per gallon was highly competitive with local pump prices, so I accepted.

During my rental period I had cause to fill the tank twice, on each occasion the car took approximately $30 USD of fuel, from almost empty, to full. I subsequently returned the car to the airport with approximately 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. I understand that I forfeit that quarter of tank.

I've now reviewed my rental invoice and note a "Refueling charge" of $120.88 USD. Surely that must be an error; its approximately 4 times the actual cost of filling the tank of a Mustang. This has left me feeling bitterly disappointed in Avis. Before I contact them, I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so, whether you reached a resolution.

Many thanks,
Tom
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:31 am

It sounds like whoever checked in the car didn't realize you prepaid for fuel, and so charged you the penalty rate.
sokolov likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tom London
Hi All,

I recently rented a Mustang from Miami airport for one week. As it was my first 'preferred' booking I had to visit the rental counter. The lady at the desk suggested I pre-purchase a tank of fuel so that I didn't need to fuel the car before dropping it off. I asked her about the price of doing so and was assured emphatically that the price per gallon was highly competitive with local pump prices, so I accepted.

During my rental period I had cause to fill the tank twice, on each occasion the car took approximately $30 USD of fuel, from almost empty, to full. I subsequently returned the car to the airport with approximately 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. I understand that I forfeit that quarter of tank.

I've now reviewed my rental invoice and note a "Refueling charge" of $120.88 USD. Surely that must be an error; its approximately 4 times the actual cost of filling the tank of a Mustang. This has left me feeling bitterly disappointed in Avis. Before I contact them, I wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so, whether you reached a resolution.

Many thanks,
Tom
Does your initial rental agreement (the one you got when you picked up the car) reflect that you paid for the prepaid fueling option? Does the invoice you received when you returned the car also reflect a charge for prepaid fuel?

As a general rule, unless you expect to be pressed for time when you return the vehicle, pre-paying for fuel is a bad bet. The price might well be competitive with that of local stations, but unless you can arrange to return the vehicle very close to empty, you're going to end up paying more overall. (And was the "competitive" charge for prepaid fuel also subject to state and local taxes on the rental, which can easily add 20% or more in some locations?)
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Sounds like Avis charged you the $10+/gal instead of the prepaid tank. My colleague in LAS forgot to fill up his Mustang rental (no prepaid fuel) and was hit with a $100+ refueling charge as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.