Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Do I Need an International Driving Permit for Avis Switzerland

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

A few weeks from now I will be renting a car in Zurich. According to the small print on the confirmation page for my rental, it appears to say I’ll need an IDP (my license is from Canada). Is this actually the case?

From the small print:

Do I need to bring my driving licence with me?
Yes. All drivers must bring all parts of their valid driving licence with them. They must bring both their driving licence and either an international driving licence or an official German, French, Italian or English translation, by a notary, of their driving licence for any of the following situations:
  • A driving licence was issued in a non-European country
  • A driving licence was issued in a non-Roman alphabet like Arabic, Greek, Russian, Hebrew or Japanese.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:45 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Yes, it is required based on the terms and conditions of the rental company. They don't always enforce the rules but better to be prepared in case they do. I rented in Japan earlier this year and without the IDP, I would not have been able to check out the vehicle.

You can read more about the IDP here on our site.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, it is required based on the terms and conditions of the rental company. They don't always enforce the rules but better to be prepared in case they do. I rented in Japan earlier this year and without the IDP, I would not have been able to check out the vehicle.

You can read more about the IDP here on our site.
The emphasis is on the bolded statement.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
It's very hit or miss. I brought a Costa Rican license, and they didn't even care. Same thing in Austria.

In France they wouldn't take my CR license, they only took my UK license.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.