Avis says I did not return the key

Old Apr 28, 19, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Avis says I did not return the key

I returned a car last Monday to ATL. We were running late so I added Curbside Dropoff for $25. The agent drove us to the terminal and I was charged for the service--proof that someone else had the key to be able to drive the car.

On Friday I got an email saying "... the keys are still missing. Please overnight the keys to us at the address below to avoid a key charge."

It was the first such email so I don't know why they said "still" missing. I responded immediately that a quick check of my rental agreement would have shown that I used Curbside Dropoff for this rental. But I have not gotten any response since, and I am extremely annoyed by this.

From reading some of the other posts here, do I need to now take photos upon return of the car, gas level, and showing the key in the car?
Old Apr 28, 19, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NJNY View Post
I returned a car last Monday to ATL. We were running late so I added Curbside Dropoff for $25. The agent drove us to the terminal and I was charged for the service--proof that someone else had the key to be able to drive the car.
Not to doubt you, but just because someone else drove, isn't proof that you didn't return the key. All cars with push button start that don't require the key to be physically inserted don't shut off when the key leaves the car. Most will beep when you leave (and if this was the case) the drive should have flagged you down to let you know it was beeping at him. Details on the type of car (make/model) would help prove this.

Good luck!
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I hope that OP expressly stated that he had turned the "key" over to the Avis agent who drove him. The rest is interesting, but does not go to the bottom line.

If OP has not heard back, he should call in ASAP.
Old Apr 28, 19, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Oh, good points, thank you. My car starts to beep VERY loudly if I walk away with the fob while it is parked and running. I actually never tried driving after the fob left the car but I assumed it would not.

This was a Dodge Journey.

I did physically hand the fob to the agent when I moved seats. But how would I prove that? And yes I'll call in the morning. I really appreciate the input!
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nothing to prove. But, you do need to say it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: