Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WARNING: Watch out for fuel re-charge scam at Avis

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:44 am

I had bad experiences in France with Hertz. They claimed that I returned the car a day later than what I actually did. Contacted them and told them that they made a mistake, but they didn't want to listen to me. So I just told my credit card company to reverse the charge. So the credit card company gave me my money back. And since then whenever there is an incorrect charge on my credit card I don't even try to contact the merchant. I just tell the credit card company to reverse the full or partial amount. It's the easiest way to handle this. And by the way, Hertz France has nothing to do with Hertz USA. I received a letter from Hertz France saying that they are going to ban me from renting from them and they are going to take me to court, but that was only a bluff. Have been renting from Hertz USA ever since without problems.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue & IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz & Avis President's etc.
You're right I should have checked with the credit car company. I'll do that next time!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Beware, Hertz @ Vegas too

I just got back from Vegas where I rented with Hertz. The young lady looked at the gas needle at return and said "did you fill up the gas because it doesn't look like it". Then I presented her with the receipt from the gas station around the corner. This is the second time this happens to me with this company at this same airport. I learned my lesson the first time. I was running late, I filled up the tank but the pump didn't have paper to print a receipt and I didn't have time to walk in the store. I was charged anyways.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Alaska
I am a frequent car renter. The percentage is low, but after twice receiving notice of damage to a returned car, enough damage that it would have been easily noticed by the the check in agent in the cursory walk around, but was not in either instance, and then receiving surprise notice two months later, I engaged in what has become the routine practice of using the phone to take snappies of the vehicle at the return center. I also take pictures of any noted damage prior to the rental as so not to rely on the little picture you put "x's" on to show where damage is but don't elaborate in cases where the damage is more than a scratch. SInce I've started that practice, I've had zero damage claims after the fact. I've oft thought that perhaps the check in agent makes note that I've taken pictures? Of course I don't believe that... at any rate, your post reminds me that, yes, there was an incident in which I later received an additional gas charge. At first it didn't concern me as I thought perhaps once the pump cut off I didn't check to see if it's full. Sometime later it dawned on me that they check for that at check in and it would have been on my receipt, not a later charge. By that time, too late to contest and receipt no longer in my possession. I will now add a lit dash pic to my routine. This is a long answer, but I want to fully illustrate that you most definitely have a need to protect yourself from, what seems to me to be, unwarranted charges from rental car companies. AT the same time it's hard for me to grasp why a multi billion dollar revenue company would engage in fraudulent practices for such relatively small return.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
'Virtually full tank' <-- If that needle was not on Full, they may have gotten you on the minutia. I over-fill the tank a little if I'm returning from any distance, to insure that gauge is well on full when I return my vehicles. This is due to being charged years ago for a full tank when the needle on the gauge had a little over the inside edge, I argued it and got it taken off, but learned my lesson.

Patrick
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is SOP these days. And do a quick photograph of all four sides of the car when you return it.
Have to agree wholeheartedly with LondonElite. This isn't like the old days when we would have to unpack a camera from our carryon to take a photo. We have high powered cameras with dates on them in our hands. Why not get in the habit of using them? And here's a question, why would you NOT take photos and keep records? You are driving off in a machine that costs - what? $25,000, $45,000, more? We are also renting more and more in places where you don't even see a person when you pick up the car. Some of these rental centers that house all the rental companies don't have a lot of people in them. I was in HNL and took the elevator up to the designated floor, found my car, and sailed right past a tiny sign that said, "Leave your inspection form here." Never saw it. Made it out of the building with no one there to check me out. So I drove around to the Return spot and talked with the overworked employee there. Had her take a moment and go over the car with me while I photographed things, then turned the form over to her. You can be sure I photographed every inch of that car when I returned it, as well as the gas gauge.

After some chicanery at a rental place in LA, I decided to make a Theater Production out of the rental process. Both when I receive the car and when I return it, I sit in the car and take a photo of the dashboard with the car running -- FULL TANK! Then I take photos of the interior of the car. Then I get out and take photos of the car from all sides, including the license plate. Yeah, it uses up Digital Space. It seems a tad over dramatic and ADD, but I figure it sends a message. If they ask what I'm doing, I joke with them and laugh and make them feel like they are in on this... "I know YOU aren't going to screw me over, but there are people who DO try that... so now I have a record! <big grin>" As my dad used to say, "It's amazing what you can get away with when you smile."

Does this take extra time? Yes. I plan for it. It's a lot less stressful and less time consuming to develop this habit before/after taking an expensive piece of property out for a spin, then dealing with headaches of phone calls and chargebacks later. If I hear later that I'm responsible for a dent made by the car washer, or someone took the car to run errands after I returned it so the gas gauge is low, I tell them I have photos and I'll send them. That usually stops it. Actually, since I've turned this into a theater production not only am I having a bit of fun, it seems to cut people off at the pass and I've had far fewer incidents of attempted cons.

With dated/timed records, If they try any shenanigans, it's on them to prove their accusations.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:52 am

I had the same experience with Hertz. Normally I ask for a receipt before leaving the car. One time I was in a hurry and got charged $17 for the gas, after I had just filled up at the airport! Unfortunately I found the complaint procedures to cumbersome to get it reversed, but I definitely left me with a feeling of being cheated by a company which I normally count on to get it right.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is SOP these days. And do a quick photograph of all four sides of the car when you return it.
Not just the 4 sides. Get photos of the windshield. I got dinged for one in Mexico. The agent walked right up to the car when I returned and pointed out the chip. He had to know it was there in advance.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:08 pm

I rented a car in France several years back. We arrived after midnight and the agent was still waiting for us. We got the car quickly and were on our way. 2 days later we stopped for a pick-nick. We setup on the passenger side and to our horrer we found that the car had been hit. We did't know what to do. After a couple days of stress I look at my photos from when we picked up the car and TADA!!! there was the damage. ALLAYS TAKE PHOTOS when picking up and dropping off. The photos can also act as time stamps if the pickup and drop off times add an extra day.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingRhino
As a rule of thumb, I always refuel at the airport of departure, as most cities and airports have a fair distance between them. I don’t believe this to be a “scam”
As someone else noted I guess you have regulated gas prices? In the US that is definitely not true and "at the airport" (most airports don't actually have gas stations for public use though) is $1 more per gallon.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, HI Priority Card, Hilton Honours, Wyndham
I have hired cars from all the bigger companies in South Africa over the years and they have all 'scammed' me by charging for fuel even though the car has been returned with a full tank and a receipt to prove it but I have not experienced it in Greece or in the States.
Whenever I have queried the rip off, the response has been curt and unfriendly. It is almost as if they do not want people's custom.
Even raising a complaint with their so-called customer relations department only elicited a reply along the lines of "we are not interested so get lost".
However, during my last visit, I hired from Bidvest and what a breath of fresh air. From pick up at Port Elizabeth to drop off at Cape Town airport, they could not have been more friendly, more helpful or more reliable. I know where any future business will be going when I am next in SA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Quick update on the original post

I have just received the following from Avis:

" Please be advised that the investigation has been concluded and a credit has been processed to your account. Kindly note that the amount of R761.95 will reflect in your account within 7-10 business days. We apologise for any inconvenience that was caused to you in this matter. "

All's well that ends well
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by GlobalNomad
I had the same experience with Hertz. Normally I ask for a receipt before leaving the car. One time I was in a hurry and got charged $17 for the gas, after I had just filled up at the airport! Unfortunately I found the complaint procedures to cumbersome to get it reversed, but I definitely left me with a feeling of being cheated by a company which I normally count on to get it right.
You can always ask the CC company for a refund. I had an instance where Avis charged me for some tolls in FL, even though I had thrown coins in the bucket. Avis was not helpful, and when I called the CC company to protest, they just removed the charge. Avis still kept their pound of flesh, but I was made whole, so I was satisfied.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Beware of Budget at DCA

Beware of Budget at DCA. Late night arrival. The girl at the counter was super talkative and had me sign the kiosk while distracting me. I clearly remember verbally refusing the extra insurance etc and not checking the boxes just signed sat the bottom as this was a kiosk. A day later I was glancing thru the printout and saw they had me in for almost all the electives. Had to spend few hours / escalate to get this undone. I assume they get a commission on selling you extras.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bamin
Beware of Budget at DCA. Late night arrival. The girl at the counter was super talkative and had me sign the kiosk while distracting me. I clearly remember verbally refusing the extra insurance etc and not checking the boxes just signed sat the bottom as this was a kiosk. A day later I was glancing thru the printout and saw they had me in for almost all the electives. Had to spend few hours / escalate to get this undone. I assume they get a commission on selling you extras.
Are you a Budget Fast Break member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.